Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

I acknowledge everyone's very valid comments especially being young and lacking strength. But I do think he's not bought into the physical side of the game (I havent seen the desire or intent in his body language). I hope Sam can draw it out of him as his offensive game is very good.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam and the coaching staff obviously threw the gauntlet down at CMac to work on his defensive side and he responded today.

Just got in amongst everything.

Liked us moving Day down back for a quarter to try and shake the tag and giving CMac some valuable time in the middle.

Sam and the coaching staff obviously threw the gauntlet down at CMac to work on his defensive side and he responded today.

Just got in amongst everything.

Liked us moving Day down back for a quarter to try and shake the tag and giving CMac some valuable time in the middle.
I honestly thought they moved Day out of the middle just to let someone else have a turn with the ball. That kid is a magnet for the pill.

I acknowledge everyone's very valid comments especially being young and lacking strength. But I do think he's not bought into the physical side of the game (I havent seen the desire or intent in his body language). I hope Sam can draw it out of him as his offensive game is very good.

Yep he definitely came in with much better physical intensity today (body language was desperate), pretty clearly had been instructed to work on it....kudos to him, hope he continues to develop this

9 tackles today in a half of footy

His hunger was noticeable When he came on. This happens when you have good competition for spots and he is probably realising he needs to fight hard every week because other younger mids will come in during this rebuild and be given an opportunity in front of him if he doesn’t take his chances.

good to see his great response today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly a midfielder, soon as I saw him attend the first centre square bounce after being subbed on I was excited.

Hawthorn are building the same flexibility through the midfield that saw us win 3 flags, Day, Nash, Weddle, Moore, Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald can all run through the midfield and be perfectly fine playing another role.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clearly a midfielder, soon as I saw him attend the first centre square bounce after being subbed on I was excited.

Hawthorn are building the same flexibility through the midfield that saw us win 3 flags, Day, Nash, Weddle, Moore, Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald can all run through the midfield and be perfectly fine playing another role.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Moved into the midfield in the final quarter 10 disposals, 5 contested, 2 clearance (1 centre) and goal.

Was great to see him and Moorey combine in the middle. They had a great understanding of each other.

Zero tackles and Sam had pointed it out to CMac that this was an area he had to work upon so hopefully his good work glosses over it. Hope he stays in the side for next week.

I'll admit. I was one of those people who wanted us to draft Tyler Sonsie and Jesse Motlop over MacDonald, even though I had witnessed him live dominating for the Dandenong Stingrays. I am more and more confident by the day that Mark McKenzie and the staff made the right decision. His acceleration and class out of the middle make him a tough opponent to stop if you’re the opposition coach. We've seen him at his defensive best when he had 9 tackles against West Coast, but today we saw him at his offensive best, and he showed why he could become the star midfielder/forward we've needed. Dare I say it, but today he had a performance in just his 31st game that you would want from Prime Dustin Martin. 28 disposals at 75% disposal efficiency with 2 goals, 444 metres gained, and 12 score involvements. It doesn’t get much better than that. I will never know how he went at pick 26 in the 2021 Draft when he has looked better than Neil Erasmus, who went at pick 26 and plays a similar position. I guess we all underrated him. If he keeps on this trajectory, he's going to become a superstar. A great game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back