MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is the tribunal isn't interested in the afl making a stand. Their job is to adjudicate the case based on the rules the afl put in place. That system is a matrix which spits out a week for Harry based off the match review officer deeming the contact medium. If we can argue that's the wrong call he gets off.

Now if the afl wants to change their rules to say any head high hits no matter how minimal are suspendable that's a different matter but they have to stick to their own rules.
I would agree, but then Acres didn't get off...

I said it last year.
The idea that 1 person has all the say in determining a sanction is ridiculous.
It needs to be a 3 person committee to make determination.
The fact that this person is a past player is also completely ridiculous, they have ties to a club and relationships to organisations that cannot ensure impartiality.
System is broken and needs urgent fixing.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Charlie Ballard says

Sent from my SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the base suspension for a head hit, is a week, I am fine with that, what I am not fine with is other more severe hits, only getting 2 weeks

But at that point you need to have a clear delineation on when high contact is a reportable offence. Is high contact in a spoil a 1 week suspension? Only if it's late? How late? Is a high fend-off a 1 week suspension? Is a high tackle a 1 week suspension?

I think the simplest approach is for intentional acts to be deemed a suspension in all cases, with the impact then used to determine number of weeks. Incidental/football acts should only ever be a fine, but start them at $5k if you want to make them a greater deterrant.

Unfortunately, they have remained consistent with suspensions for head high hits

What's not consistent is the penalties they are dishing out, moreso only a week difference between the Kosi and Acres/McKay hits

I'd fight it, but think it will stand

Harry should have changed his approach before contact

I think you’re wrong. It should have been deemed as low not medium. Sheezel got up
30 seconds later and was at the next contest. If that’s not low contact then I’m not sure what is.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re wrong. It should have been deemed as low not medium. Sheezel got up
30 seconds later and was at the next contest. If that’s not low contact then I’m not sure what is.

Can anyone confirm now impact is graded?
Is it only on the impact of the player to play out the rest of the game or is the level of force of the strike/hit also taken into account?

Anyhow, don't know how either or both of these are not graded low.

Can anyone confirm now impact is graded?
Is it only on the impact of the player to play out the rest of the game or is the level of force of the strike/hit also taken into account?

Anyhow, don't know how either or both of these are not graded low.

They have the ability to use "potential for injury" not just the actual outcome.

Even so, the give how little force Harry ended up using, it should never have been deemed "medium". He pulled up, made contact with the shoulder and it rode up a bit. Sheezel went down, but only cause he was already off-balance from kicking the ball.

The "potential" outcome is the one that happened. He was never getting seriously injured from that.

But at that point you need to have a clear delineation on when high contact is a reportable offence. Is high contact in a spoil a 1 week suspension? Only if it's late? How late? Is a high fend-off a 1 week suspension? Is a high tackle a 1 week suspension?

I think the simplest approach is for intentional acts to be deemed a suspension in all cases, with the impact then used to determine number of weeks. Incidental/football acts should only ever be a fine, but start them at $5k if you want to make them a greater deterrant.

I should have detailed my thoughts

I would change careless to accidental. Where the majority of the penalties being fines.

International acts I see as having another option and not taking it.

Kosi had the options of a smother or even a late tackle, but chose the third option of a high bump, which hit the head, directly or indirectly. That to me should be a 3 week base penalty

Harry had to option of a late tackle, but chose to lead with a forearm/s. To me that's a week

In terms of force, that is almost impossible to have consistency, as it will always be opinion based.

The only way to gain greater consistency is using sensors strapped to a player's head, ( NFL use them in helmets) which I can't see happening anytime soon.

I should have detailed my thoughts

I would change careless to accidental. Where the majority of the penalties being fines.

International acts I see as having another option and not taking it.

Kosi had the options of a smother or even a late tackle, but chose the third option of a high bump, which hit the head, directly or indirectly. That to me should be a 3 week base penalty

Harry had to option of a late tackle, but chose to lead with a forearm/s. To me that's a week

In terms of force, that is almost impossible to have consistency, as it will always be opinion based.

The only way to gain greater consistency is using sensors strapped to a player's head, ( NFL use them in helmets) which I can't see happening anytime soon.

That’s great. But it’s not actually how the MRO works. The decision, as per their rules, is wrong.

Too hard to get consistency as there are a variety of outcomes

I could bump you with the same force, same spot 10 times. 5 times you jump straight up, 3 times you get concussion, 2 times concussion and a facial break

The base penalty has to be higher to reduce the acts occurring, loading added depending on outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back