Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice article on Brocky
This bit was new to me. I didn't realise he was actually keen to come to us prior to being selected. Had assumed he was fairly neutral and we were going to need to work to have him want to stay at the end of his draftee contract.

"Hawthorn traded up in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft to ensure they got Brockman at pick No.46. Hawks list boss Mark McKenzie knew West Coast and Fremantle were interested in the Subiaco product and didn't want to miss out on a player they rated higher than that, one they knew was keen on coming to the club after extensive interviews via Zoom during the pandemic."

Nice article on Brocky
Mitch building that bond and connection with Brocky is awesome- I can't imagine how stressful it would have been being injured, expecting twins, living away from family and not having a contract for the following year.
Credit to him and the club for getting through that period.

Fast becoming my favourite player!

This bit was new to me. I didn't realise he was actually keen to come to us prior to being selected. Had assumed he was fairly neutral and we were going to need to work to have him want to stay at the end of his draftee contract.

"Hawthorn traded up in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft to ensure they got Brockman at pick No.46. Hawks list boss Mark McKenzie knew West Coast and Fremantle were interested in the Subiaco product and didn't want to miss out on a player they rated higher than that, one they knew was keen on coming to the club after extensive interviews via Zoom during the pandemic."
In a recent interview (post game last week? can't remember), I'm pretty sure Brockman mentioned that for a while he was a Hawks supporter (until he moved on or back to a WA team) which was kind of nice to hear. Hope he has a great year.

Last edited:
It is great that the Mitchell's are offering their experiences.

Is it being done in a culturally safe way? I hope so, 100% do. A coach, a carer, a family advisor... can get a bit blurry, especially if something well meaning is not received that way. Footy clubs are interesting... compare it to other formal workplaces.

Bennell has been there 5 minutes... i hope he is playing a prominent role in the household with his background, experience, expertise etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is great that the Mitchell's are offering their experiences.

Is it being done in a culturally safe way? I hope so, 100% do. A coach, a carer, a family advisor... can get a bit blurry, especially if something well meaning is not received that way. Footy clubs are interesting... compare it to other formal workplaces.

Bennell has been there 5 minutes... i hope he is playing a prominent role in the household with his background, experience, expertise etc.

Based on the article via Brockman sounds like the Mitchells are doing just fine.

Id imagine it would go along the line of " This worked for us, it might work for you ".

Sounds like the Mitchell are placing there stamp on the club

Might not have had the shots on goal today, but I thought that was one of his best games for us.
Got up the ground and provided another set of clean hands. His ability to find his way out of a congested situation and find a team mate was great to see.

I’m really hoping we start to see this more because he’s a good point of difference for us up the field.

Might not have had the shots on goal today, but I thought that was one of his best games for us.
Got up the ground and provided another set of clean hands. His ability to fix his way out of a congested situation and find a team mate was great to see.

I’m really hoping we start to see this more because he’s a good point of difference for us up the field.
Yep agree he was good
One of a small few to be able to think their way through traffic in the forward line today
Must continue playing to keep developing him

Got up the ground and provided another set of clean hands. His ability to fix his way out of a congested situation and find a team mate was great to see.

I really liked him playing a bit higher. Was able to get more involved which is always good for him with his quick reflexes and clean skills. Playing deep he has to make the best of some pretty ordinary entries, but playing higher he can be the one providing quality entries to others. And his workrate means he's always got the opportunity to get it back once it's in there.

The way he threw himself at the ball and created exciting opportunities/plays for others (as well as himself) was very Bolton-esque. Clearly the collaborative training is paying off for Shai - definitely learning from Brocky ;)

Got up the ground and provided another set of clean hands. His ability to find his way out of a congested situation and find a team mate was great to see.

Thought he was a lot better than his stats suggested. You can just see he's got that special something.

Thought he was a lot better than his stats suggested. You can just see he's got that special something.
Sam was glowing in the press conference

One other thing about Brocky is it’s only a matter of time before he does land a mark of the year contender.

I love the way Brockman doesn't panic when he gets the ball in traffic, and more often than not he will find a teammate in space.

His ability to accelerate from one contest to the next, repeatedly, applying great defensive pressure on the GWS players, was very impressive.

He's building beautifully as his confidence grows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back