2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but very few have a full toolbox.

uwlands is courageous, has composure, a raking kick and an overhead game.

Improved decision making will come, but hell probably never be a caleb daniel field kick.

the flipside is very few of the half-back elite ball users will ever fold blokes in half with tackles like our kid can. D.rioli is probably the exception.

I hear what youre saying and of course we all want every kid to overcome all shortcomings,

But the reality is, even the 250 game champs have flaws, or at least things theyre not great at.

Bont cant kick a set shot. Dusty doesnt tackle. Pendlebury is slow. Buddy cant take an overhead mark. Cripps has never really worked out hes not playing rugby league.
Yeah, sorry. Wasn’t trying to rag on the kid.

Just a few smaller things to tidy up and he can really start pushing his case. Just noticed he likes to kick long and often holds up play waiting for a long play. Something that will come with experience, I’m sure.

He’s not best 22 right now yet is all I meant. He played as we had massive gaps in defence, but I’d be surprised if he got another game any time soon barring injuries.

It should be a great game against Richmond who beat Casey last week.

We should have 21 listed players including Moyle, Flanders and Day. Our possibly strongest line-up ever.

It should be a great game against Richmond who beat Casey last week.

We should have 21 listed players including Moyle, Flanders and Day. Our possibly strongest line-up ever.

Yeah. That is a legit team, AFL experience wise.

If both Mac and Jeffrey come back to join Moyle, and with Day returning from injury, it is a very tall team though.

Having young talents like hollands, Jeffrey, Flanders, moyle, Andrew
In addition to experienced guys burgess, farrar, anderson, blakely etc

Really does feel like a bit of a cheat code.

I backed them at $21 for VFL premiership on a couple of different platforms. In to ~7.50 on all of them now.

Good to see Flanders returning, big couple of weeks for him to get back into the AFL side.
Feels like a quick return to action for Flanders. He only got injured 26 days ago and I thought the original prognosis was 6 weeks...

Fair to say our medical team is having a big year with several players returning quicker than expected - Weller, Powell, Witts and now Flanders.

Feels like a quick return to action for Flanders. He only got injured 26 days ago and I thought the original prognosis was 6 weeks...

Fair to say our medical team is having a big year with several players returning quicker than expected - Weller, Powell, Witts and now Flanders.

I think the pre-season soft tissue injuries to Powell and Weller really hurt us.
These kind of things aren't entirely preventable. But still feel it was really deflating to go in on the back foot in some respect.

I think the pre-season soft tissue injuries to Powell and Weller really hurt us.
These kind of things aren't entirely preventable. But still feel it was really deflating to go in on the back foot in some respect.
Have to agree. We were forced to play guys like Constable and that really hurt us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having young talents like hollands, Jeffrey, Flanders, moyle, Andrew
In addition to experienced guys burgess, farrar, anderson, blakely etc

Really does feel like a bit of a cheat code.

I backed them at $21 for VFL premiership on a couple of different platforms. In to ~7.50 on all of them now.
Such value, hopefully pays off this year! Our injury list is getting shorter and shorter, Budarick in the 2's soon

Makes me wonder why we would get rid of Markov and get in Anderson and Blakey
Exactly. The problem wasn’t so much injuries to Weller and Powell, but the complete lack of depth behind them. We knew at the back end of last year that these 2 were our only speed and skills in the backline, but would both also be coming back from long term injuries that may impact their speed and agility, and we did nothing to address that.

Can only agree with what you've written.
Having said that I was very surprised that they were even in the picture to be selected due to the extent of their respective injuries.
Our medical team are fantastic

Exactly. The problem wasn’t so much injuries to Weller and Powell, but the complete lack of depth behind them. We knew at the back end of last year that these 2 were our only speed and skills in the backline, but would both also be coming back from long term injuries that may impact their speed and agility, and we did nothing to address that.
Powell was meant to be back round 1. Got another injury in the pre-season.

Was a bit disappointed we got rid of Markov at the time, but I guess they thought they could cover for a few weeks rather than use a list spot.

Markov might have wanted more years/pay to stay. Or might be other factors, since he didn’t play much last season. Or we made a mistake and overestimated our list. Or all of the above.

Powell was meant to be back round 1. Got another injury in the pre-season.

Was a bit disappointed we got rid of Markov at the time, but I guess they thought they could cover for a few weeks rather than use a list spot.

Markov might have wanted more years/pay to stay. Or might be other factors, since he didn’t play much last season. Or we made a mistake and overestimated our list. Or all of the above.
Oh yeah, not to disappointed we let Markov go, although happy to see him play a role for Collingwood. Also happy we are putting time into Johnston.

Just feel like we could’ve invested a bit more in rebounders in the back half over the past few years given our suite of picks, even with Powell and Weller playing. Long was also going to be more of a Lemmens/Macpherson lock-down cover. Hopefully Farrar, Johnston, and Uwland come good.

Oh yeah, not to disappointed we let Markov go, although happy to see him play a role for Collingwood. Also happy we are putting time into Johnston.

Just feel like we could’ve invested a bit more in rebounders in the back half over the past few years given our suite of picks, even with Powell and Weller playing. Long was also going to be more of a Lemmens/Macpherson lock-down cover. Hopefully Farrar, Johnston, and Uwland come good.
Long has been on record saying he wanted to play half back and he came to us because he said we would play him there.

So I think both he and we anticipated him being a bit of a rebounder, not just lock down.

Budarick hopefully too.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back