News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And this is the moronic thing to even suggest draft penalties by some and the AFL not completely ruling it out implying that the door is still open …….. allowing the media feeding frenzy to feast at our expense.

So Bombers use a shady bikie gangland type to coordinate a drug supplement program across the entire playing list. Blues paid salaries in brown paper bags. These are the type of incidents that warrant draft sanctions. So a leak of information even if it was from Hawthorn is comparable????????? AFL can go and g** f****d!
Also Dees tanking fiasco was swept under the carpet.

Something most people don't understand or appreciate, which is understandable given lack of experience or contact with First Nation people, is that working with and dealing with First Nation people is not mainstream. Whilst it is up to each of us individually to better understand the people we deal or work with in general, working with Fist Nation folks is really very complex and takes a lot of time and effort.

Every Aboriginal player is hard work? That’s a bit of a harsh judgement, I think.

I've been saying this for weeks.

The leak is the smoking gun.
I have been saying there has been NO leak.

Jackson was tipped off by XYZ to come and chat with ex-players likely to be included in the report HFC has made. Ex-players told him the same things (+ some more, likely) as they told Egan for the report.

Media & activists deliberately muddled it all to cater to people's biases.

Jackson was tipped off by XYZ to come and chat with ex-players likely to be included in the report HFC has made. Ex-players told him the same things (+ some more, likely) as they told Egan for the report.

Jackson was tipped off.

By someone who stood to prosper from this blowing up.

Fact is interesting word because everyone at hawthorn has denied leaking it. But there is no real way to prove it unless we invade their privacy
This is where it comes back to governance over the distribution of the report. If it was a confidential document and we didn't have appropriate tracking systems in place to verify the email trail then we might get a whack which would have to be financial.

The more you think about the nature of any governance errors in distributing the report - not saying they occurred but if it was found they did - they are completely off field and have no relationship to onfield which makes the media talk about draft picks absolutely ridiculous.

Moving past this point, if the human rights commission or worksafe make any findings against us this becomes a far more serious governance matter (eg coaches going to players homes) and I suspect would result in the AFL having to start up its own investigation into Hawthorns governance. It would certainly change the game significantly and make it very clear as to where the line between player and coach sits. The difficulty here is that if the AFL were to sanction us we should be requiring the AFL to make every club go through the same investigation process to determine if they need to be sanctioned too.

I think the end game is a new policy and agreement between the AFLPA and coaches association which sets a clear line for player and coach interaction.

I've read the report. It was leaked.

Yes you are correct above too the journo was tipped off but the report was circulated. Both happened.

Jackson was tipped off.

By someone who stood to prosper from this blowing up.
tipped off about what is the question.

Existance of report, we all knew that. We know Cyril's gripes against HFC were being carried out in the Age and other media as that was the point of commissioning this report. So he is the obvious starting point for Jackson to chat.

In AFL land every player has some sort of gripe against their club. I have gripes against the club my kids play at and they don't play footy.

To me "Leak" has been used as a cover to hide the fact Jackson was approached by one or more of the players/agents hoping they can build pressure to force HFC to pay up for their silence. Journos can easily play such people for their own aims. Soon the issue takes a life of its own.

This whole thing is about the leak. That much was clear weeks ago.

So if we didn't leak, we should be exonerated yeah?

My prediction of the outcome. If it was leaked by the Hawks lack of governance etc we will all hear about it. If it was leaked by someone in the AFL or the individual(s) making the allegations the AFL will declare that we can’t identify where the leak came from and nothing will come of it. Gil would make a great politician!

So, if you listen to Gil, this is not about treatment of indigenous players, racism, anything of the like, the entire "crime" here is making the AFL look bad. :rolleyes:

Maybe the afl know this and this is how they get out of draft pick sanctions against us. Maybe they really are an ally in all this…🤔
Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My prediction of the outcome. If it was leaked by the Hawks lack of governance etc we will all hear about it. If it was leaked by someone in the AFL or the individual(s) making the allegations the AFL will declare that we can’t identify where the leak came from and nothing will come of it. Gil would make a great politician!
He's already said the leak never came from the AFL.

And this is the moronic thing to even suggest draft penalties by some and the AFL not completely ruling it out implying that the door is still open …….. allowing the media feeding frenzy to feast at our expense.

So Bombers use a shady bikie gangland type to coordinate a drug supplement program across the entire playing list. Blues paid salaries in brown paper bags. These are the type of incidents that warrant draft sanctions. So a leak of information even if it was from Hawthorn is comparable????????? AFL can go and g** f****d!
I like your passion. I've had little to say about this entire fiasco because, quite frankly, I haven't known what to think. One thing I do care deeply about is the integrity of the Hawthorn Football Club. Hearing Jarman Impey's comment that he never would have signed for Hawthorn if he felt unsafe hit me where I live.

I've been a Hawks fan since the 1960s and a member since the 1980s. In that time, I have been very fortunate to have intimate knowledge of the workings of the club, I have had access to information many may not have, courtesy of Presidents, Board Members, Selectors, Coaches and recruitment officers. Sadly, I no longer have these contacts, otherwise I would probably know a lot more than I do.

In that time, I grew to understand what the club was all about, and one thing of which I am 100% confident, is the club is not a dangerous place for indigenous, or any other player, and I am resentful of inferences in the media to the contrary.

tipped off about what is the question.

Existance of report, we all knew that. We know Cyril's gripes against HFC were being carried out in the Age and other media as that was the point of commissioning this report. So he is the obvious starting point for Jackson to chat.

In AFL land every player has some sort of gripe against their club. I have gripes against the club my kids play at and they don't play footy.

To me "Leak" has been used as a cover to hide the fact Jackson was approached by one or more of the players/agents hoping they can build pressure to force HFC to pay up for their silence. Journos can easily play such people for their own aims. Soon the issue takes a life of its own.
I think you should read my post again.

I can’t post what I want to post, but Jackson was told who to contact, what the story was.

One party in all this prospered the bigger the issue got.

I like your passion. I've had little to say about this entire fiasco because, quite frankly, I haven't known what to think. One thing I do care deeply about is the integrity of the Hawthorn Football Club. Hearing Jarman Impey's comment that he never would have signed for Hawthorn if he felt unsafe hit me where I live.

I've been a Hawks fan since the 1960s and a member since the 1980s. In that time, I have been very fortunate to have intimate knowledge of the workings of the club, I have had access to information many may not have, courtesy of Presidents, Board Members, Selectors, Coaches and recruitment officers. Sadly, I no longer have these contacts, otherwise I would probably know a lot more than I do.

In that time, I grew to understand what the club was all about, and one thing of which I am 100% confident, is the club is not a dangerous place for indigenous, or any other player, and I am resentful of inferences in the media to the contrary.
This must hit you to the core as a life Hawk.

I am reminded of the Mitchell/Rioli text exchange mentioning improvements HFC is making. Surely the club can release some of this, if it is substantial us folk want to hear it. A measured demonstration of improvement as a club (like the leadership group names being used or captains run name, sorry can’t easily Google now). Collingwood are doing good things and talk about it. Maybe I’ve missed some of it…?

Whilst I agree in principle with you, Egan thought the player was Indigenous Australian
That might be true but was just pointing out the actual definition of Indigenous and wether the club felt the need to include Indigenous New Zealander's I don't know. That oversight is on Egan and by all reports and listening to that podcast earlier in the week with Sam and Don who knows if it was an oversight or he didn't care but those 2 obviously didn't think too much of him which I found interesting.

We all have a fair idea who the non-Indigenous Australian player is and I cannot vouch for his character because I don't know him but I can however sort of relate to him if he has in fact experienced racism especially if he has over the years been mistaken to be Aboriginal. I've mentioned here before that I am born in South Africa (1977) with my parents migrating us to Australia in 1979. Over the years growing up in Blackburn VIC in my junior years then on the Central Coast of NSW I copped a fair bit of racism and many times in a lot of cases being mistaken for being Aboriginal. Personally I wouldn't say that I even look Aboriginal but I have had many Aboriginal people assume that I am and ask me if I am. I do have a similar face to Michael Walters from Fremantle with a very olive skin complexion minus the distinctive nose (I don't mean that to be racist BTW) and have also had many people mention that I look similar to him before.

Anyways the whole reason for this spiel in relation to the non-Indigenous Australian player is that wether he is Indigenous Australian or Indigenous New Zealander if he's copped the same racial vilification over and over all his life then speaking from experience it can / would hurt just the same. Long story short I would hope that in future that the HFC would do these welfare checks for all and not just a selective group.

From 7.30

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back