News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That might be true but was just pointing out the actual definition of Indigenous and wether the club felt the need to include Indigenous New Zealander's I don't know. That oversight is on Egan and by all reports and listening to that podcast earlier in the week with Sam and Don who knows if it was an oversight or he didn't care but those 2 obviously didn't think too much of him which I found interesting.

We all have a fair idea who the non-Indigenous Australian player is and I cannot vouch for his character because I don't know him but I can however sort of relate to him if he has in fact experienced racism especially if he has over the years been mistaken to be Aboriginal. I've mentioned here before that I am born in South Africa (1977) with my parents migrating us to Australia in 1979. Over the years growing up in Blackburn VIC in my junior years then on the Central Coast of NSW I copped a fair bit of racism and many times in a lot of cases being mistaken for being Aboriginal. Personally I wouldn't say that I even look Aboriginal but I have had many Aboriginal people assume that I am and ask me if I am. I do have a similar face to Michael Walters from Fremantle with a very olive skin complexion minus the distinctive nose (I don't mean that to be racist BTW) and have also had many people mention that I look similar to him before.

Anyways the whole reason for this spiel in relation to the non-Indigenous Australian player is that wether he is Indigenous Australian or Indigenous New Zealander if he's copped the same racial vilification over and over all his life then speaking from experience it can / would hurt just the same. Long story short I would hope that in future that the HFC would do these welfare checks for all and not just a selective group.
He wasn’t racially vilified he asked the Club for help in dealing with a crazy ex

He has no issues with Hawthorn

I don’t know however if his ex is Indigenous

Water Fix It GIF by Boomerang Official

From 7.30

Money talks. Would be far better in east Africa

Whilst I agree in principle with you, Egan thought the player was Indigenous Australian

You mean the club thought he was Aboriginal

No way was Egan sent out to interview players he “thought” were Aboriginal.

Surely the club provided the names of those to interview, because if he wasn’t, that tells you all you need to know about the cultural presence at the club during that time.

There is of course the scenario from one of the players or wives where Egan has been told “you should go speak to X about his experience”

It’s Barrett, isn’t it 😂
You jest, but I can't think of anyone else who has prospered from this leak! The club hasn't, the families haven't, Egan hasn't, the accused haven't, Gil hasn't. Who has prospered other than the purple knob?!

You jest, but I can't think of anyone else who has prospered from this leak! The club hasn't, the families haven't, Egan hasn't, the accused haven't, Gil hasn't. Who has prospered other than the purple knob?!

Lawyers

From 7.30
Did this sound like Gil was happy with Hawthorn and there may be no sanction? Or did I dream?

So, if you listen to Gil, this is not about treatment of indigenous players, racism, anything of the like, the entire "crime" here is making the AFL look bad. :rolleyes:
Imagine how bad the AFL would look if we copped draft sanctions. People would remember it for decades as they do with Carlton, Gil wouldn’t want that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The leak is..... Barret!

Think about it.
He has been on about sanctions since day 1.
He has had an axe to grind with the HFC for years.

My theory. Players went to him (given he is the premium "reporter" for the AFL). Knowing he'd lose his cushy AFL accreditation, he directed the report to someone who had nothing to lose from the AFLs heavy handed tactics.

The leak is..... Barret!

Think about it.
He has been on about sanctions since day 1.
He has had an axe to grind with the HFC for years.

My theory. Players went to him (given he is the premium "reporter" for the AFL). Knowing he'd lose his cushy AFL accreditation, he directed the report to someone who had nothing to lose from the AFLs heavy handed tactics.
Too much credit given to Purples intelligence. Not that smart!

This sort of circular argument 'he said she said' is mind numbing. The initial pile on was that the coaches were adjudged guilty. The fact that I wanted the coaches to have the chance to defend themselves is not a biased starting position. I want both sides to help establish the truth - with the full knowledge that the truth may be a perception.
There’s another interpretation of poster’s behaviour- having seen how the injectors went full denial that their club could have done wrong, posters here aim to show that they are open to idea that something wrong occurred (to not be kool aid drinkers)

To have increased cultural understanding is hard work is how I read the post
The original post mentioned complexity. To support any player let alone the uniqueness of a Community or language group requires someone to be accepted into that conversation. It is not necessarily straight forward for the IPDM even though they are best placed to build relationships.

Hard work implying it is the fault of Indigenous people causing a non-Indigenous problems because they don’t understand is nonsense. A skilled practitioner wouldn’t see it as hard work, they’d see it as a privilege and opportunity even if there are challenges.

The post you replied to is stupid and provocative.

Anyone who has worked in politics at any level will tell you that leaks to the press are a weekly reality, and another reality is that you can almost never bring legal action against those responsible, even if everyone knows who it was.
If it was an intentional leak and the journalist or outsider who first received it doesn’t talk, it’s very difficult to prove. I doubt anyone from Hawthorn or the AFL used their work email to distribute it, or they would know already. Gil can’t say “it wasn’t the AFL.” How can he know that when it’s one of the possibilities and the person clearly isn’t going to admit to it.

The leak has emerged as the AFL’s best excuse to slot Hawthorn. They can’t do anything about the allegations themselves now and although the report was very poorly commissioned, I really can’t see them sanctioning us for asking the questions. That would be an awful precedent.

It comes down to the leak, which was bad. But Hawthorn needs to play a straight bat on that: we don’t know, you don’t know, it could equally have come from an AFL employee or contractor and Hawthorn cannot be penalised for that. The AFL cannot prove the source and should be taken to Court if they try to pin it on Hawthorn without evidence

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back