Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say we’d have to find a ruckman to replace tdk if he was to leave. Unless they are planning to use young or other talls to help pitt. Don’t wanna see jsos doing it.
I’d offer Goldstein 2 years with an option of a third. He’s still playing well and physically in good nick and would be well as a security blanket with Pitto at a good price.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I prefer us to get in as much young talent with picks before Tasmania enters the comp and National Draft, the two ideas don't really necessarily have to be mutually exclusive I suppose ;)

We can have the list learn how to win again and then replace components as they age out. I reckon Papley has a good 5 years of quality football in him so will be at the feet of H and Charlie for that whole time. Then Durds, Mots or whoever are suddenly 24 and have either been delisted or stepped up.

I was going easy on Williams.

McKay's already delivered a Coleman and is a gun. He's not an overpay because he's struggled for half a season.

He hadn't started the new deal when he won the Coleman.

It goes down to that adage;

Sports teams will overpay young players because of their potential. They will then overpay them based on what they've accomplished in the past but more often than not the one time a high performance athlete is underpaid is when they're at their actual peak

As I said, I have tremendous belief and faith in H and have been impressed with his around the ground improvement. I feel his yips have overshadowed his actual improvement as a footballer. But when you're paid to kick goals ..

Will be a great debate at season’s end. His best is somewhat game changing, with disposal the key. Kemp emerging is an issue, although I reckon Kempy might be better used elsewhere. I know I am in the minority, but hoping for a seamless remainder of the season for Marchbank to give us a better option going forward.

TDK likely leaving maybe leaves room cap wise, but his salary needs to halve if we are to retain him.
I think much of it comes down to his hamstrings.

If, in future, he has to play within himself to get through a season like this year, then it's debatable if he'll get a contract.

If he can start to trust his body and really attack contests again, then he's definitely worth a new contract. As that's when he's at his best.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, very punchable face. If he were with us though, he'd seem loveable. That's the way it works. Toby Greene is the same.

Ginnivan too ... nah * that, just can't do it.
I'd 100% take Ginnivan...

He'd never leave though, him and Collingwood are the perfect match...

Meh, TDK turns 24 next month. Papley turns 27 next month.

24 and still completely relying on potential or 27 with an All Australian berth behind you. If it was a straight swap, I reckon we would be well ahead.
Talk about apples and oranges......

It's well known big blokes don't hit their prime till later. Paps is THE complete opposite player.

I think that would be bonkers myself - I'd love to have Papley at the club but I think that TDK is 'too much' expense.

Again, I ask if we did move TDK on, who will ruck for us if and when Pitto goes down?

I am totally against this train of thought. Cultural issues reportedly abound and we call for more superannuation seeking recruits.

Show some bloody patience. The draft is our friend. I don’t want to “fluke” a flag, I want to return to the dynasty if my youth.

Not against strategic commonsense trades for need, but draft is king. I am a bit of a fan of trading in young players wanting to forge a career Kennedy, Setterfield, Marchbank, Young, Pittonet like even stretch to more established but young Cerra. Not a fan of the McGovern, Martin(was a fan at time, but became one of too many), even Acres types (although I believe he is a bridging player, not a keeper).

Have mixed feelings on Saad, Williams (will pay us back - bookmark), anti Hewett signing (put up roadblocks for young players)

Two or three first rounders and some gun kids would make a quick enough impact without ending decent careers in one off season.
I don't think I'm advocating replacing Gov with another fat pay cheque. I'm saying use it to get 2-3 Acres, Kennedy etc. type contracts instead. Clear best 22 players who aren't joining for money but for opportunities

I dont think TDK has earnt a big wage yet, but it is difficult to compare a small forward/mid development track to a tall ruck/forward.

If TDK has decided to leave I think a direct swap for Papley is fair given age difference and players profile.

I was keen to get Papley the 1st time, but since then he has increasingly become that annoying player from other teams that make you want to 'knock hos block off'!!!

Getting up there with Milne, Bewick, Bolton and Stringer for me!
How is the Luke Jackson trade any different to the TDK one. TDK can yet to play in a final but has had just as many games if not more dominating a game for us as Jackson did for Melbourne. And that’s not many. I though freo over paid. Sydney saints or Geelong will over pay as well.

It's well known big blokes don't hit their prime till later. Paps is THE complete opposite player.

I think that would be bonkers myself - I'd love to have Papley at the club but I think that TDK is 'too much' expense.

Again, I ask if we did move TDK on, who will ruck for us if and when Pitto goes down?
Rucks are overrated

Who would ruck for us? On exposed form, anybody really.

I mean, you've already admitted in your response that TDK is a second ruck.

Yes, talls take longer. I said that. But still, at 24 TDK is still 90% potential, 10% exposed form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is the Luke Jackson trade any different to the TDK one. TDK can yet to play in a final but has had just as many games if not more dominating a game for us as Jackson did for Melbourne. And that’s not many. I though freo over paid. Sydney saints or Geelong will over pay as well.
Jackson can play forward and he can ruck.

TDK can jump high.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, talls take longer. I said that. But still, at 24 TDK is still 90% potential, 10% exposed form.
Actualy I'm saying TDK should be first ruck. If he's not there, then Pitto is 1st ruck with zero backup. SoS? Young??

But, as per usual for us, I don't think he's had a real opportunity to thrive and develop. So yes, I agree, 90% potential is all we can judge him on. I'd like the club to give him the no1 ruck for 6 - 10 weeks and see if he's going to make it. Giving him bits and pieces, which is what seems to be the norm at the club, doesn't give him the chance to 1, work out what it takes to be first ruck 2, give the kid the confidence to think he can mix it at the level.

Last edited:
As per usual for us, I don't think he's had a real opportunity to thrive and develop. So yes, I agree, 90% potential is all we can judge him on. I'd like the club to give him the no1 ruck for 6 - 10 weeks and see if he's going to make it. Giving him bits and pieces, which is what seems to be the norm at the club, doesn't give him the chance to 1, work out what it takes to be first ruck 2, give the kid the confidence to think he can mix it at the level.
That's basically what happened last year when Pitto was injured, isn't it? Not sure we can just keep doing it every year to find out if he's there yet.

Most good rucks had their breakout year tdks current age or even earlier. He's a slow burn even for a tall

Most good rucks had their breakout year tdks current age or even earlier. He's a slow burn even for a tall

That's exactly my concern. This contract year had to be the one and it is just hasn't been.

That's basically what happened last year when Pitto was injured, isn't it? Not sure we can just keep doing it every year to find out if he's there yet.
This goes back to my original point about teaching the kid how to play ruck as well. That might help!

BTW, he's played 48 games. He's still learning.

Actualy I'm saying TDK should be first ruck. If he's not there, then Pitto is 1st ruck with zero backup. SoS? Young??

But, as per usual for us, I don't think he's had a real opportunity to thrive and develop. So yes, I agree, 90% potential is all we can judge him on. I'd like the club to give him the no1 ruck for 6 - 10 weeks and see if he's going to make it. Giving him bits and pieces, which is what seems to be the norm at the club, doesn't give him the chance to 1, work out what it takes to be first ruck 2, give the kid the confidence to think he can mix it at the level.

You know what he can do? Work on his core strength so he isn't pushed off the ball so easily. 6 preseasons so far and he is still pushed aside like a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back