List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Reid or no Reid, I don't think poor management should be rewarded with a priority pick. Everyone has the same resources available to them. You shouldn't be rewarded because you ****ed up. It sucks that it is us now but I felt the same with North and Melbourne before them.
Yet the Tin rattlers got a couple of Pp last year and I reckon they will be back groveling for more this year.
The Soft cap is in place for such clubs which impacts on a club like ours being limited with the amount of money we can spend in the football departments.
Other clubs have greater access to Academy kids and the suns still have extra list spots.
Other clubs receive large donations from the Afl to stay afloat.
Other clubs have received concessions in the past look at the Sydney cost of living racket for instance.
The competition isn’t fair and the AFL has no intention to make it so.
I certainly wouldn’t say everyone has the same resources available to them and certainly wouldn’t be against asking for assistance if it’s needed.

What a load.

He shouldnt be guilt tripped into taking less then 100%.

Its the morons above him that should be taking less then 100% ie. Simmo, Gepp, Nisbett . All 3 have earned insane money, much more then Gaff and not done the body on the line service Gaff has.

1 bad year for sure, but he has still been a great of the club who deserves more respect then he is getting now.

Its sad that wearing a suit earns you more respect then wearing our jumper, but here we are
Not a load at all, however, I do agree that the two should be mutually exclusive. I suppose I just believe that Gaff has more integrity than those mentioned.

I reckon the comp is a fair enough playing field

I agree with most of your post except this bit.

The comp is far from anywhere near a fair enough playing field.

So many inequities in the system.

The draw itself, is so much as who you do or don’t play twice.

The rotations of where you play who, how they can justify the reason why Brisbane have NEVER played us at Optus ….. yes the last time they had an away game against us was when we were still at Subiaco Oval…. since then we have been to Brisbane every year…. go figure that one.

We travel to Tasmania every fu(ken year.

Six day breaks for traveling teams against teams that play at home after 7 day breaks.

The Northern Academies where draft night they can match bids but we can’t unless the player is outside the top 40.

The comp has so many wrinkles and bumps any any straight path that represents fairness, that therefore makes devoid any notion of fairness.

I agree with most of your post except this bit.

The comp is far from anywhere near a fair enough playing field.

So many inequities in the system.

The draw itself, is so much as who you do or don’t play twice.

The rotations of where you play who, how they can justify the reason why Brisbane have NEVER played us at Optus ….. yes the last time they had an away game against us was when we were still at Subiaco Oval…. since then we have been to Brisbane every year…. go figure that one.

We travel to Tasmania every fu(ken year.

Six day breaks for traveling teams against teams that play at home after 7 day breaks.

The Northern Academies where draft night they can match bids but we can’t unless the player is outside the top 40.

The comp has so many wrinkles and bumps any any straight path that represents fairness, that therefore makes devoid any notion of fairness.

Most of your concerns are draw/fixture related.

I am talking about how you build a squad.

I get the academies special perks, they aren't football heartland (yet).

This club should be doing better than taking slim pickings from a strong junior U18 state side. Development at this level appears to be stuck on some stagnant thinking. For such a rich club there's a lot more advantage to be gained.

Okay. Looking after a sick kid at home with no sleep. Thought I'd let this stream of consciousness go.

This is what I'd like to see happen with our list...I know it won't happen but it's what I'd try and make happen if possible.
Gives us a good balance of player types, brings in some mature bodies, some with experience who'll be hungry.

Out
Gaff (reduced pay out)
Sheed (trade pick 30's)
NN (Retire)
SPS
L.Edwards
Hurn (Retire)
Winder
Witherden
XON
Trew
Foley
Rotham
Clark
Dewar (Cat B)

Barrass (only if pick 6/7 or nets us Warner or McDonald and a 30's pick for NG)
Brockman (would probably require something like F2 for Brockman and F3)

In
1. Reid (Or split only for 2 of - Watson/Caddy/Duursma and an 10-13 for O'Sullivan/Sanders)
6/7 - Curtain (if not Warner or McDonald and a 30's pick for NG)
19 - Hall/ Philactides
36 - Livingstone
38 - Collard
(Sheed pick) - Goad

Mature agers
Robertson (F4)
Woodcock
E. Phillips
S.Mannagh
Schumacher
*Brockman

1688025335906.png

Last edited:
Okay. Looking after a sick kid at home with no sleep. Thought I'd let this stream of consciousness go.

This is what I'd like to see happen with our list...I know it won't happen but it's what I'd try and make happen if possible.
Gives us a good balance of player types, brings in some mature bodies, some with experience who'll be hungry.

Out
Gaff (reduced pay out)
Sheed (trade pick 30's)
NN (Retire)
SPS
L.Edwards
Hurn (Retire)
Winder
Witherden
XON
Trew
Foley
Rotham
Clark
Dewar (Cat B)

Barrass (only if pick 6/7 or nets us Warner or McDonald and a 30's pick for NG)
Brockman (would probably require something like F2 for Brockman and F3)

In
1. Reid (Or split only for 2 of - Watson/Caddy/Duursma and an 10-13 for O'Sullivan/Sanders)
6/7 - Curtain (if not Warner or McDonald and a 30's pick for NG)
19 - Hall/ Philactides
36 - Livingstone
38 - Collard
(Sheed pick) - Goad

Mature agers
Robertson (F4)
Woodcock
E. Phillips
S.Mannagh
Schumacher
*Brockman
Who do you delist in 2024-2025? Its a bad year to do the cull. Its 2024 we need to do the ass tearing. So far im on

OUT
Main - XON, Clark, Foley, Hurn (retire), NN (retire), L.Edwards (re-rookie)
Rookie - Winder, Trew, West

IN : Pick 1, 19, 36, 38, Deven Robertson, Mitch Georgiades

Shuey, Witho and SPS get 1 year deals to prepare for 2024 delisting

In 2024 when the draft is better we can go ape. In 2024 I want

OUT : Gaff, Shuey, Rotham, Witherden, SPS, Sheed, Edwards, Darling, Cole
IN : A shitload

Wanna bet on that.?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure.

You think the players association and player would agree?

A player late in their career with wife and kids at school would allow a club to trade them anywhere they want? Because they stuffed up the cap or list?

That the mummy's boys from Vic Metro would be happy being traded to Tasmania with no say?

Get real mate.

If you were getting paid $10m sure.

But AFL players aren't paid that are they.

I don't want to get stuck on wanting Reid, so I'm going to try and ignore him as an option. If we are getting offered 3 top 10 picks then I can't see any way the club says no. Last year I got stuck on Wardlaw. Don't want to do that again.

If we can get three top 10 picks from GWS then there is no point keeping 2x2nd and 2x3rd rounders. Can't see us taking 7/8 draft picks. Plus hopefully we can make use of the NGA with some of the later picks. So I think we will try to use some of the 2nd/3rd rounders for trades.

If we can take into the draft via a trade with GWS 5,7,8,19
Ideal scenario
(5) McKercher (classy accumulator)
(7) Curtin (versatile KPP)
(8) Watson (electric small fwd)
(19) Hall (inside mid)
(36) - Livingstone (Aggressive Ruc/Fwd) -
(NGA) - Collard (wiry small fwd)

Trade for Robertson if he wants to come home and try and get Georgiades through PSD coz stuff Port.

Sure.

A player late in their career with wife and kids at school would allow a club to trade them anywhere they want? Because they stuffed up the cap or list?

That the mummy's boys from Vic Metro would be happy being traded to Tasmania with no say?

Get real mate.

Yeah exactly! Getting traded to Sydney where rent is probably over 1000 a week. Again if your on 10m a year that’s fine but not on below average AFL wages

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who do you delist in 2024-2025? Its a bad year to do the cull. Its 2024 we need to do the ass tearing. So far im on

OUT
Main - XON, Clark, Foley, Hurn (retire), NN (retire), L.Edwards (re-rookie)
Rookie - Winder, Trew, West

IN : Pick 1, 19, 36, 38, Deven Robertson, Mitch Georgiades

Shuey, Witho and SPS get 1 year deals to prepare for 2024 delisting

In 2024 when the draft is better we can go ape. In 2024 I want

OUT : Gaff, Shuey, Rotham, Witherden, SPS, Sheed, Edwards, Darling, Cole
IN : A shitload
Id have boots going 2024, potentially Cole. Maybe even Yeo sadly if his body fails. It won't be too hard to make the minimum turnover.

We need to cut the deadwood now. Mature agers can fill the gaps. Up to 40 still looks/sounds pretty solid imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure.

Get real mate.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Id have boots going 2024, potentially Cole. Maybe even Yeo sadly if his body fails. It won't be too hard to make the minimum turnover.

We need to cut the deadwood now. Mature agers can fill the gaps. Up to 40 still looks/sounds pretty solid imo
Mature agers can fill the gap for 1 year though. The ones you are talking about will want 2-3 years minimum

HUN article yesterday https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/8c4f9018496ddfa4ec06062953e0fa1f

Jeremy McGovern
Contract expires 2023
McGovern is officially an unrestricted free agent and although he has agreed to terms on a new two-year deal it hasn’t been announced by West Coast yet.
He wants to stay as a one-club player even though at 31 years of age he will not see finals again and the club will lose any collateral they have.
They could easily secure a top-30 pick for him in a trade _ Rory Lobb was just traded for pick 30 and a future second-rounder _ but West Coast seems more interested in putting out open letters to their fans than actually getting aggressive with their list management.
Imagine a trade period where they secure three top-15 picks for Harley Reid and early selections for McGovern. They already have Port Adelaide’s second-rounder so could conceivably have five or six picks in the top 40 of the draft.

Jack Darling
Contract expires 2024
Darling has endured a miserable year with only 13 goals from 11 games and is another Eagle who would have some trade value _ especially if the Eagles paid some of his salary.
Yet West Coast seems determined not to trade out senior players who have been with the club for so long.
So he will hope to bounce back to form next year even though there are Victorian clubs who are in flag contention who could surely do with his attacking firepower.

Elliot Yeo
Contract expires 2024
Yeo at least is in the age bracket where he might believe he could still be at the club when they see finals fortunes again, turning 30 in October.
At least he has found a way to bounce back to some of his best form in recent weeks after a torrid injury run. Used in the midfield and as a defender, his power and poise are back. The Eagles could trade him at the top of the market but instead he seems keen to stay. He would have suitors if the Eagles at least explored what a trade would look like.

Jake Waterman
Contract expires 2023
Waterman is a handy type who kicked 18 goals from 20 games last year but amid serious medical issues his father Chris says the Eagles should have been on top of his medical worries much earlier. He says it will make recontracting his son all the more challenging as Jake Waterman attempts to get on top of those issues to return to his AFL career.

Nic Naitanui
Contract expires 2024.
Nic Nat accepted a small two-year deal - said to be around $250,000 a season - so he could continue his career but has been shut down without playing a single game due to achilles issues. West Coast is in a tight spot - he is one of footy’s most dynamic players - but what is the point of him playing a farewell year when they are so deep in a dark rebuild?
Bailey Williams has had an excellent season as a 199cm ruckman but is he the future at the club as the No.1 ruckman even as he gives his all every week?

Just sharing the article.

Interested that NicNat is viewed as only being on $250k. There may be an AFL ambassador payment but that is outside the cap.

Does the recent Jake issue make Georgiades a more tempting target through the PSD???

Yeo was supposedly upset with how his body has been managed. Will he seek a trade where he has confidence in the S&C team?

Sure.

Get real mate.

I think the AFL players are so pathetically underpaid compared to douchebags like Gil and Nisbett that if enough money was thrown at them, the AFLPA will agree to this

Second article from HUN https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/3d7ddb5f52b827be7209a7ea03daf5a1

Top 100 paid players
54 Oscar Allen - $700 - $800k
53 Tom Barrass - $700 - $800k
50 Jack Darling - $700 - $800k
49 Elliot Yeo - $700 - $800k
34 Andrew Gaff - $750 to $850k
4 Tim Kelly $1 to $1.1 mln
3 Gov $1 to $1.1 mln

It was reported that both Kelly and Gov gave up $$ in Covid and to help cap hence paid back later. Stated that TK was originally on 4 x $850k and this is catch up and Gov was on a 5 year - $6 mln deal and there may be some back ended stuff flowing into a 2 year entension

I think the AFL players are so pathetically underpaid compared to douchebags like Gil and Nisbett that if enough money was thrown at them, the AFLPA will agree to this

1688022353026.png

Fully with you that the suits are getting too much of the pie and the players should be getting a greater share.

If we are to believe the Worst Australian, the AFL senior execs have their snouts deep in the trough led by Gil.

I suspect Nisbett is on $1 mln a year. And I suspect that none of this is pinned to performance pay. Pity.

What really irks me is that the AFL has gone back to business as usual with staff numbers and payroll yet the soft cap has not. I guess the fact that the AFL are paying all of the soft cap for GWS and Suns plus a large portion of Sydney, Brisbane, St Blunders, Norf and Bulldogs means that it is a conflict of interest. The harsh penalties for going over the cap is another heavy handed AFL demand that is grin and bear it.

Attachments

• 1688022309028.png
    1688022309028.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 42
I don't want to get stuck on wanting Reid, so I'm going to try and ignore him as an option. If we are getting offered 3 top 10 picks then I can't see any way the club says no. Last year I got stuck on Wardlaw. Don't want to do that again.

If we can get three top 10 picks from GWS then there is no point keeping 2x2nd and 2x3rd rounders. Can't see us taking 7/8 draft picks. Plus hopefully we can make use of the NGA with some of the later picks. So I think we will try to use some of the 2nd/3rd rounders for trades.

If we can take into the draft via a trade with GWS 5,7,8,19
Ideal scenario
(5) McKercher (classy accumulator)
(7) Curtin (versatile KPP)
(8) Watson (electric small fwd)
(19) Hall (inside mid)
(36) - Livingstone (Aggressive Ruc/Fwd) -
(NGA) - Collard (wiry small fwd)

Trade for Robertson if he wants to come home and try and get Georgiades through PSD coz stuff Port.

There’s absolutely no chance all 3 of McKercher, Curtin and Watson are there at 5, 7 and 8. This is the issue with splitting these picks

Also Clay Hall? That’s a reach, there are Clay Halls in every draft, he’s not that good

It will be interesting if some strict guidelines are brought in for future big contracts with players reaching 30.

We have royally rooted this up in the past 5 years. At least ensure money paid to a player in their 30's is earned. Bring in contracts with a firm base plus performance based bonuses for those over 30.

If you continue to deliver you get well paid. If you don't you get your agreed base salary.
The problem with that as a hard rule, is that we would lose a tonne of late 20s players who choose to go to other clubs on long contracts and big money (while in the prime of their careers). Players already know that they get less years in their career playing for us (due to travel), they're not going to cop drastically reduced cash as well.

LEAGUE FLAGS CHANGES TO BIDDING SYSTEM​

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us disadvantaged if this goes ahead (now we’ll nearly certainly get the first pick).
Of course that would be an accidental byproduct the AFL would say.

Mature agers can fill the gap for 1 year though. The ones you are talking about will want 2-3 years minimum
They can have 2yrs. Angus would take a year to begin with I would have thought.
Waterman, Cole Shuey, West, Yeo, Gov, Cripps, Petch, Darling, HEdwards all still left. (Potentially Jameson too)

We're not going to struggle to meet minimum TO requirements.

There’s absolutely no chance all 3 of McKercher, Curtin and Watson are there at 5, 7 and 8. This is the issue with splitting these picks

Also Clay Hall? That’s a reach, there are Clay Halls in every draft, he’s not that good
Meh who knows, they'll be around the mark. Thinking Watson may slide a bit due to his size.
I don't think Hawks will take McKercher due to drafting Ward and MacKenzie the last two drafts.
Don't think he would suit the blues either so may be available at our pick. If not you take Duursma / Caddy

Reid
Walter
Caddy
Duursma
Watson
McKercher
Curtin
Wilson
Edwards
Sanders

Was tossing up between Hall and Tholstrup. Have wanted Tholstrup for a while but watching the last two games for WA Hall was probably BOG in both and showed some fight even when WA were getting smashed by the Allies. At 19 it is a bit of a reach but think he would suit us currently. At least he can win a contest and play inside - out. Whereas a Tholstrup / Moir half forward type might struggle without the talent around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back