List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
it's not like there is Warlord and Sheezel neck and neck for number 1. It's Harley and then a huge gap. People are saying after the first 10 picks or so it drops off.

I think we're likely to be offered a top 5, a top 10 (or next year 1st rounder), then a late teens/early 20s.
For me a late teen/early 20 pick is wort almost nothing in such a trade.
Looks like someone has been sucking on the teat of the AFL media for too long🤮

Reid will be a good player yes, but I don't see a generational talent. He's not even a lock this year despite the constant speculation.

Keys

Clubs can't officially be in contact with junior players at this stage (or other clubs players for that matter). Scouts are primarily watching but talking to coaches, people at grounds, family etc as early as kids are 15 however. For juniors senior years like now the real top end talents already have agents.

I really can't talk about how we get around talking to players and the agents and club coaches roles in this as it jeopardises not only my position but also publicly puts it out there for anyone to see.

"Figuratively" it may be possible that certain clubs have certain people on their payroll that aren't fully listed employees that are already speaking to players through their clubs, families and agents and that a certain high profile statistics company "Potentially" helps with that.

I hope the above paragraph is enough for everyone to work out what actually goes on but It's about all I can say.
Enter WCE_Phil ;)

So if the penalty for soft cap breach is 200% of expenditure in excess of $500k over the soft cap, and we exceed the soft cap by say $800k (Simmo's approx wage) then we only pay a penalty of 200% x $300k ($800 over - $500 threshold). Which is a penalty of $600k. For two years = $1.2m. If this is the case, suck it up

So if the penalty for soft cap breach is 200% of expenditure in excess of $500k over the soft cap, and we exceed the soft cap by say $800k (Simmo's approx wage) then we only pay a penalty of 200% x $300k ($800 over - $500 threshold). Which is a penalty of $600k. For two years = $1.2m. If this is the case, suck it up
778B418C-79BF-42FA-9D1C-FFCDD565246A.jpeg

$100k @75% + $150k @100% + $250k @150% + $300k @200%

=$1.2m for year one then

$100k @75% + $150k @150% + $250k @225% + $300k @300%

=$1.762m for year 2 because the penalty escalates

So the penalty is near enough to $3mil plus the $1.6m to Simpson

$4.6m total with nothing to show for it

View attachment 1724446

$100k @75% + $150k @100% + $250k @150% + $300k @200%

=$1.2m for year one then

$100k @75% + $150k @150% + $250k @225% + $300k @300%

=$1.762m for year 2 because the penalty escalates

So the penalty is near enough to $3mil plus the $1.6m to Simpson

$4.6m total with nothing to show for it
What better way to guarentee a mediocre domestic comp stays that way. Mr/MS?They/etc, X says I what to pursue excellence in sports science - where should I move to because it will not be in the AFL!

One mechanism I can see coming maybe something like.

The club drafts the Tassie kid, and what ever pick is used in this draft compensated in the following draft. Then when the Tassie team comes in that player has free transfer.

Eg. Blues took Cowen pick 30 last year

This year they get pick 30 as a compo.

In 2028 he goes free to Tassie.

So the blues get there pick back to develop another pick 30 and aren't short changed in 2028, while also developing Cowen for the Tassie team.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wont work.

You would be compensating a club for something thst may not occur.

If we picked Sanders with say pick 10 we get a compo pick 10 next year. Fast forward Sanders doesnt go to Tassie in 2028. Eagles get an extra pick 10 for what?

Cant compensate clubs for something that may not happen.

No one wants to say too much about anything for fear of upsetting the apple cart. An off the cuff comment could be seen as bagging out a club or department whgere they may be up for a job in the future. There's also IP to worry about accidentally divulging.
Ok. My comment was more about how certain rule’s impact list management, tpp considerations, soft cap, etc.

It wasn’t about discussing specific trades, etc.

Time for an Obeanie-esque trade bonanza cause I'm bored this morning.

We hold picks 1, 19, 36, 38, 55, 57

The Dees hold 8, 15 and a future first. The Giants could hold 5, 6 and 8. The Demons offer isn't tempting enough and the Giants are unlikely IMO to sell the farm for a kid who may or may not just leave after his first contract anyway. So that leaves the Roos as the most likely suitor for pick 1 IMO.

Assuming the Roos lose McKay they will hold 2, 3 and 17.

WC receive: #2, #17 and 2024 R1.
North receive: #1 and 2024 R2.

So essentially we receive pick 2 in 2023 and a similar pick in 2024 whilst upgrading our F2 next year to 17 this year. We'd hold 2 and 17 in this draft and potentially the first two picks next year, or in a less ideal case at least two top 5 picks.

Without a clear choice in the top 2 this year IMO I'd be trying to sway the Giants into giving us 5 & 8 for 2 & 17.

I'd then go to the Crows, who have 3 top 25 picks and not much after this year, and offer them this trade:

WC receive: #11 and #20
Adel receive: #8, #36 and #38

We then hold 5, 11, 19, 20, 55 and 57 in this year's draft. We'd potentially have the top 2 picks next year (or even say 1 & 5), as well as holding the first two picks on day 2 of the draft this year which puts in a good spot to split one of those picks live and gain a second rounder instead of using pick 55/57.

#5: Daniel Curtin
#11: Koltyn Tholstrup
#19: Clay Hall
#20: Ashton Moir
#55: ???
#57: Trade for Dev to upgrade one of those early 20's spuds we delist (XON, Foley, Witherden, Clark, West etc etc).

Ahh, now back to my morning cry-wank.

Nice crack but I can see a world where North attempt to use Pick 2 to add some experience to their squad.

Their time in the window of loading up on kids is surely coming to an end if they want to compete in September.

They'll have a wealth of high potential players in the 10-40 game bracket.

Time to start bringing in the 25-26 year old types who are going to accelerate their rise up.

INJURED EAGLE IN TALKS FOR EXTENSION​

WEST Coast is making progress in contract negotiations with young midfielder Jai Culley, with both parties working towards a contract extension beyond this season while he recovers from a knee reconstruction.

Culley is keen to stay with the Eagles after joining the club through the mid-season rookie draft last year and playing nine games as a big-bodied midfielder who can also go forward.

The hard-working youngster, who had appeared set for a breakout season after a standout summer, earned an AFL Rising Star nomination for his four-goal performance against Port Adelaide in round six.

Two weeks later, the Dandenong product ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against Richmond at the MCG, undergoing a full reconstruction that will sideline him until the early stages of next season.
Culley's management and the Eagles have been in consistent conversations about extending the midfielder's contract, with confidence a deal will be agreed once details are worked through.

The young Eagle has remained in Perth to focus on the early stages of his recovery and is tracking ahead of schedule before a planned trip home to Victoria soon. – Nathan Schmook

Bit of good news finally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone mentioned it here before. For all his faults on field these days, Gaff seems a man of integrity.

I think he'll call it quits at the end of the year, fall on his own sword and take a 50% or so contract pay-out. (Or take a reduction and play next year with the kids at WAFL)

Back to on field. He's been terrible but I think he's been trying his guts out. Game has passed him by, body is getting old.

Someone mentioned it here before. For all his faults on field these days, Gaff seems a man of integrity.

I think he'll call it quits at the end of the year, fall on his own sword and take a 50% or so contract pay-out. (Or take a reduction and play next year with the kids at WAFL)

Back to on field. He's been terrible but I think he's been trying his guts out. Game has passed him by, body is getting old.

Also been playing through a lot of injuries which hasn't helped

Is there a bigger gap between pay and performance?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At least he plays ……. Unlike our ruckman who get appearance pay.

List management, or should I say poor list management, has been a significant contributor to the sad plight of our Club at the minute.

In most other organisations poor performance / results are usually a precursor to the employees responsible for the stuff ups departing the organisation.

No such remedial responses at West Coast, more so, it’s the same old same old, hoping those who *ed up will learn from their mistakes …… trouble with that is the lessons don’t appear to have been learnt.

A new set of eyes ( actually plural sets ) are needed at the Club, however it’s hard to do that when jobs are seemingly filled internally or by existing management friendly personnel.

We do seem to be a rather incestuous management with nepotism and jobs for the boys, seemingly being our preferred go to.

List management, or should I say poor list management, has been a significant contributor to the sad plight of our Club at the minute.

In most other organisations poor performance / results are usually a precursor to the employees responsible for the stuff ups departing the organisation.

No such remedial responses at West Coast, more so, it’s the same old same old, hoping those who *ed up will learn from their mistakes …… trouble with that is the lessons don’t appear to have been learnt.

A new set of eyes ( actually plural sets ) are needed at the Club, however it’s hard to do that when jobs are seemingly filled internally or by existing management friendly personnel.

We do seem to be a rather incestuous management with nepotism and jobs for the boys, seemingly being our preferred go to.

Gaff playing isn’t a positive

Gaff playing isn’t a positive

Not saying it is.

More so just pointing out that he able to play where as NN has been us spending money for no return.

When does clogging up a list spot become a glaring opportunity cost to the rebuild?

That’s also part of my point.

Last edited:

It will be interesting if some strict guidelines are brought in for future big contracts with players reaching 30.

We have royally rooted this up in the past 5 years. At least ensure money paid to a player in their 30's is earned. Bring in contracts with a firm base plus performance based bonuses for those over 30.

If you continue to deliver you get well paid. If you don't you get your agreed base salary.

What a load.

He shouldnt be guilt tripped into taking less then 100%.

Its the morons above him that should be taking less then 100% ie. Simmo, Gepp, Nisbett . All 3 have earned insane money, much more then Gaff and not done the body on the line service Gaff has.

1 bad year for sure, but he has still been a great of the club who deserves more respect then he is getting now.

Its sad that wearing a suit earns you more respect then wearing our jumper, but here we are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back