List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
It will be interesting if some strict guidelines are brought in for future big contracts with players reaching 30.

We have royally rooted this up in the past 5 years. At least ensure money paid to a player in their 30's is earned. Bring in contracts with a firm base plus performance based bonuses for those over 30.

If you continue to deliver you get well paid. If you don't you get your agreed base salary.
I dont think its that simple

Naitanui contract was about him taking paycuts before. Shuey/Hurns deals have alwauys been done the right way

The 3 problem ones are. McGovern who had insane interest and bent us over, Kelly who we got overexcited about and Yeo whose contract was fine until he got injured, which really comes down to our medical team not the guy who signed him

The issue we will have is simply that people view playing for the Eagles as a shortned career. If we start offering 1 year deals to all over 30s, at 27 they are gonna see the writing on the wall and bail. Each contract really should be a 1 on 1 conversation

South Sydney is a good example of this. Offered a few very good players 1 year deals and said this is the future for all players over 30, who all left for longer deals and then 12 months later, had a core part of their team demanding a 2 year deal in Damien Cook for insane money, who then got it because if he left they had zero replacement options outside of picking someone up from reserve grade football. So they put the same no more further big deals for over 30s and did a 180 less then 12 months later because its not a realistic thing to carry around

Targeting gaff is definitely unfair.

It's guys like naitanui, yeo and mcgovern who have ultimately pissed away large chunks of the best parts of their career being out of condition and unfit.

Targeting gaff is definitely unfair.

It's guys like naitanui, yeo and mcgovern who have ultimately pissed away large chunks of the best parts of their career being out of condition and unfit.
At least Nic Nat took a big pay cut

Yeo, Mcgovern are unfit campaigners slurping the big money

We have a chance to start righting a few wrongs this offseason.

McGovern's out of contract.

What is his value to a team firmly going into youth development mode with a small percentage chance of being a top tier competitor in the next 2 seasons?
Exclude history in terms of prior deals, take all the following into account:
  • Hold down a KP post for which we don't have a genuine fill-in for on the list
  • Has had questionable off-season preparation and definitely not exhibited leadership in terms of getting his body right
  • Has maybe three years left at highest level (of which there will be diminishing returns)
  • Considered one of the AFL elite for position when he has a consistent run
  • Demonstrated a better than normal likelihood that his body will break down and he'll require time on the sidelines
  • Seems like a good "character" to have around
  • Has experience and is a vice captain
For me, based on above the offer should be single year, performance based and topping out no more than $400k a season.

What is his value to a team in the Premiership window with limited time and cap space to have a crack?

For me, someone might pay $700k and offer two seasons.

BUT

Just because someone is prepared to offer this, does not mean we need to jump and do same.

The club needs to grow some balls and do what's best for the rebuild. This contract will signify whether all this talk is them getting real or feeding us rubbish.

We have a chance to start righting a few wrongs this offseason.

McGovern's out of contract.
Animated GIF

Why can't the club come clean on this?

We all know the answer.

It's because they know both were bad calls.

How many other skeletons are there?
Its a bad call but it comes down to the paycuts we gave them previously really.

They should explain said skeleton and taken ownership themselves as opposed to throwing Gaff and co on the hand grenade

Wont work.

You would be compensating a club for something thst may not occur.

If we picked Sanders with say pick 10 we get a compo pick 10 next year. Fast forward Sanders doesnt go to Tassie in 2028. Eagles get an extra pick 10 for what?

Cant compensate clubs for something that may not happen.
By then clubs will be able to trade players without there consent. The AFL will make it happen in the same way. The Tassie kids over the next 5 yrs better get used to the fact that if that's where they are from , they'll be playing for them post 2028

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a bad call but it comes down to the paycuts we gave them previously really.

They should explain said skeleton and taken ownership themselves as opposed to throwing Gaff and co on the hand grenade
It's so frustrating.

Supporters just want to get some visualisation of the pathway forward.

The Gaff thing is not Gaff's fault. I can accept that we need to live with past bad decisions.

What I can't accept is new bad decisions being shielded in a cloud of mystery.

By then clubs will be able to trade players without there consent. The AFL will make it happen in the same way. The Tassie kids over the next 5 yrs better get used to the fact that if that's where they are from , they'll be playing for them post 2028

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

That won't happen.

We aren't the US. And we don't pay people stupid amounts of money to play.

When you get paid $50m a year sure. Trade me anywhere you like. $500k? Not going to happen.

Change of topic.

There was a bit of a wtf moment from some posters, when Nesbitt said WC won’t be asking for a Priority Pick this year.

After a bit of thought, I believe I can understand why.

A lot of recruiters/media saying it’s Harley Reid then daylight to the next prospect.

Secondly, it’s not like Reid has a good mate who looks like a top prospect to draft with him.

However, next year’s draft…

A couple of the WA posters on the draft board who regularly post about the WAFL colts and PSA kids have been saying next years WA crop doesn’t really have any top end talent (at this stage).

Couple this with quite a few in the Media saying West Coast hasn’t hit rock bottom yet (presuming they mean you’re going to get worse when all your flag heroes retire {not that they have been playing much}).

Vic Metro certainly has some top end talent next year, so to South Adelaide in the SANFL.

So the narrative has already been set with the media that you’ll be worse and needing a high end PP before the introduction of Tassie and compromised drafts.

Say hello to Jagga Smith and Josh Smillie, two thirds of Vic Metro’s starting midfield, as bottom agers.

Finn O’Sullivan goes alright to.

Still the worst in a long list of bad list calls
Holding onto a guy for big dollars when you just won a flag without him was a bold call.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Change of topic.

There was a bit of a wtf moment from some posters, when Nesbitt said WC won’t be asking for a Priority Pick this year.

After a bit of thought, I believe I can understand why.

A lot of recruiters/media saying it’s Harley Reid then daylight to the next prospect.

Secondly, it’s not like Reid has a good mate who looks like a top prospect to draft with him.

However, next year’s draft…

A couple of the WA posters on the draft board who regularly post about the WAFL colts and PSA kids have been saying next years WA crop doesn’t really have any top end talent (at this stage).

Couple this with quite a few in the Media saying West Coast hasn’t hit rock bottom yet (presuming they mean you’re going to get worse when all your flag heroes retire {not that they have been playing much}).

Vic Metro certainly has some top end talent next year, so to South Adelaide in the SANFL.

So the narrative has already been set with the media that you’ll be worse and needing a high end PP before the introduction of Tassie and compromised drafts.

Say hello to Jagga Smith and Josh Smillie, two thirds of Vic Metro’s starting midfield, as bottom agers.

Finn O’Sullivan goes alright to.
Reid or no Reid, I don't think poor management should be rewarded with a priority pick. Everyone has the same resources available to them. You shouldn't be rewarded because you ****ed up. It sucks that it is us now but I felt the same with North and Melbourne before them.

I reckon the comp is a fair enough playing field without the introduction of a Priority selection.

The club made this mess, up to them to bail out.

Priorities seem like the domain of sides that have worries about supporter base and needing success to be viable long term.

I'd rather see the club make a few HARD calls that put their hand out for picks.

Few fair points about priority picks been made. IMO we don’t deserve one just yet.

My biggest issue is the inequality across the board. Northern teams getting priority access to academy kids is absolute tripe and you all know it, even Briztoon. Coupled with the fact that half the top Vic metro kids say no to moving interstate really skews the drafting abilities of said interstate clubs.

The eagles should be asking for priority access to academy kids. Same as Freo, and both SA teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back