Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

It's due to this "experience" I don't want him anywhere near our club in a coaching position.

He has been a major part of our dysfunctional midfield for the best part of 10 years, he couldn't/didn't know how to shake a tag and you want him to impart exactly what to our next gen midfielders? How to be a better dad and husband?

He also holds the title as our worst captain and you lump him and Tex together for their wisdom. Tex has 100x footy wisdom of Sloane.

As that little weirdo girl said "how dare you".

I can see the benefits of keeping Tex on for forward craft/positioning/goal kicking/leadership coaching he was/is elite in, not Sloane.
I like Rory in a coaching role with us... after he goes elsewhere and sees things from the perspective of a different club.
Let him get some experience outside the AFC.

A bit like Goodwin I guess - would be quite happy to have Goody back at this point.

It's due to this "experience" I don't want him anywhere near our club in a coaching position.

He has been a major part of our dysfunctional midfield for the best part of 10 years, he couldn't/didn't know how to shake a tag and you want him to impart exactly what to our next gen midfielders? How to be a better dad and husband?

He also holds the title as our worst captain and you lump him and Tex together for their wisdom. Tex has 100x footy wisdom of Sloane.

As that little weirdo girl said "how dare you".

I can see the benefits of keeping Tex on for forward craft/positioning/goal kicking/leadership coaching he was/is elite in, not Sloane.

The same dysfunctional midfield that took us to a GF we should have won? Do you even watch football?

Its astonishing that a few people honestly paint the last few seasons as a career.

If you think he is the worst captain, you probably shouldnt comment on captains anymore. Forgot about VB did we? what about Goodwin, he was astonishingly shit, McGuiness was no prize hog either. The fact is you only think he is the worst captain because he didnt run with the BS narrative about the camp and the win loss.

I like Rory in a coaching role with us... after he goes elsewhere and sees things from the perspective of a different club.
Let him get some experience outside the AFC.

A bit like Goodwin I guess - would be quite happy to have Goody back at this point.

He may not want any involvement in football anyway. Probably should wait for his life after football discussions.

Lacks charisma imo

God, whats with this unbridled hate for Rory. This is astonishingly embarrassing for this thread. The guy turned down huge offers to walk out on our club 8 years ago and was just about gone when he decided to stay and be loyal at a time we needed players to stay. Can we find anything else to hate on him about when in fact we just dont like the fact he hasn't retired yet. No need to tear the guy apart from his character, to his off field abilities, to his captaincy, reducing his career to shit by labelling a GF midfield as dysfunctional. Seriously, we did the same with Burton when it was just his role we pretended to know inside and out we didnt like. We need to stop doing this. Players read these threads btw and some probably even comment. But putting blind hate down on a guy like Rory which is 99% uncalled for based on his current playing situation at the club is honestly as pathetic as it comes.

I think moderators need to honestly ban personal attacks on players, coaches and administrators when they have literally no substance and they are just their to insult.

God, whats with this unbridled hate for Rory. This is astonishingly embarrassing for this thread. The guy turned down huge offers to walk out on our club 8 years ago and was just about gone when he decided to stay and be loyal at a time we needed players to stay. Can we find anything else to hate on him about when in fact we just dont like the fact he hasn't retired yet. No need to tear the guy apart from his character, to his off field abilities, to his captaincy, reducing his career to s**t by labelling a GF midfield as dysfunctional. Seriously, we did the same with Burton when it was just his role we pretended to know inside and out we didnt like. We need to stop doing this. Players read these threads btw and some probably even comment. But putting blind hate down on a guy like Rory which is 99% uncalled for based on his current playing situation at the club is honestly as pathetic as it comes.

I think moderators need to honestly ban personal attacks on players, coaches and administrators when they have literally no substance and they are just their to insult.
Quality melt.

I just don’t see him in the media or anything like that after footy. Don’t think he’s interesting or funny to listen to. More likely to start some sort of lifestyle brand with the Mrs. I could be way off.

Interested to hear more about the huge offers he turned down to stay.

Quality melt.

I just don’t see him in the media or anything like that after footy. Don’t think he’s interesting or funny to listen to. More likely to start some sort of lifestyle brand with the Mrs. I could be way off.

Interested to hear more about the huge offers he turned down to stay.

Massive play from St Kilda around 2014/2015 from memory. Offered a massive long term deal. (for the time, not by todays standards)

My melt wasnt at you, yours just was the last one i saw, It was at the few posts who were simply insulting him for the sake of insulting him with literally no evidence to back their absurd claims. We did the same with Burton simply because we didn't like the camp and his role in our demise. All of a sudden his personal life was attacked like it was relevant. I just dont think we need those comments. It adds nothing to a football forum where its supposed to be about football talk. If he did something in his personal life like Crouch or Stengle I get it. But damn man. We should be better than this.

The same dysfunctional midfield that took us to a GF we should have won? Do you even watch football?

Its astonishing that a few people honestly paint the last few seasons as a career.

If you think he is the worst captain, you probably shouldnt comment on captains anymore. Forgot about VB did we? what about Goodwin, he was astonishingly s**t, McGuiness was no prize hog either. The fact is you only think he is the worst captain because he didnt run with the BS narrative about the camp and the win loss.

I'd have VB and Goody as captains well before Sloane.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you but he did run with the BS narrative the club put out about the camp.

That was the problem, he sided with management rather than the players.

Its Rorys choice to keep playing, no one is forcing him to play. He's taking the big dollars, he's opened himself for criticism.

And you were the one that lumped him in with Tex, chalk and cheese both with performance and leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if I misinterpreted you but he did run with the BS narrative the club put out about the camp.

Its Rorys choice to keep playing, no one is forcing him to play. He's taking the big dollars, he's opened himself for criticism.

And you were the one that lumped him in with Tex, chalk and cheese both with performance and leadership.

No he didnt run with the BS public narrative. It can be argued he should have supported Eddie more but thats about it.

I stand by my comments.

I get you just want to hate on Sloane because he is still playing but dude, you dont need to make shit up to devalue the guys standing at the club. Both players in Tex and Sloane are incredibly valued within the four walls of the club which kind of makes a massive mockery of your position of he is just a shit player, captain and leader.

Whose taking big dollars? The value of Sloanes contract would be negligible in comparison to the salary cap and wouldnt impact targeting anyone of note. Also criticism of what he brings to the table now is valid, but personal attacks like i've seen on here aren't.

You can make your point about not deserving a contract now without smacking the guy's whole career and character. You know that right?

God, whats with this unbridled hate for Rory. This is astonishingly embarrassing for this thread. The guy turned down huge offers to walk out on our club 8 years ago and was just about gone when he decided to stay and be loyal at a time we needed players to stay. Can we find anything else to hate on him about when in fact we just dont like the fact he hasn't retired yet. No need to tear the guy apart from his character, to his off field abilities, to his captaincy, reducing his career to s**t by labelling a GF midfield as dysfunctional. Seriously, we did the same with Burton when it was just his role we pretended to know inside and out we didnt like. We need to stop doing this. Players read these threads btw and some probably even comment. But putting blind hate down on a guy like Rory which is 99% uncalled for based on his current playing situation at the club is honestly as pathetic as it comes.

1690288835882.gif

I hate to post re-runs (who am I kidding, I love it)…but everything there is to say about this football club has already been said.

By the time Sloane finishes his contract at the end of next year, he’ll have scooped up about $4 million since the beginning of 2019.

Not bad work if you can get it.

Sloane played the club like a fiddle in 2018.

People don’t remember this, but his contract situation followed the same trajectory as Dangerfield, Lever et al. He was talking the same way those guys were.

And then, out of the clear blue sky, he signed.

And boy, did he sign. Five seasons, the first of which would start at 29 years old, netting a total well north of $4 million.

You can hardly blame him. That was the bargaining position the club was in back in 2018.

No hand whatsoever.

One thing we don’t talk about enough is the five-year, $4 million contract the club gave him in mid-2018.

We know (and knew) that the club was completely deluded about both its people and where it sat in the pecking order back then.

If someone had’ve told the club it was about to miss the eight five years on the trot, do we think that contract would’ve been written?

This is nothing against Rory btw. I like him.

But this is just another bill the club is still paying off from an era of rank incompetence.

Look how quickly Roo fell away .....those crash & bash players usually don't have longevity .....and certainly not at 34

Dangerfield has surprised me ....thought he'd do a Roo ....that said, he's copping longterm injuries, he's never had B4

Roo’s drop off was remarkable from memory. Fastest to reach 300 games, kicked 5 in that match and was gone about 20 games later.

I hate to post re-runs (who am I kidding, I love it)…but everything there is to say about this football club as already been said.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It wouldn't have surprised me if all this sort of stuff came up in the review. We are however required to pay 95% of the salary cap at all times. These means regardless of on field results we must achieve this. So as players go, Rory and Tex weren't the worst ones to overpay. All this comes from incompetence from the Fagan era so your point still stands. We just have to look at why. Also we just lost Lever, Cameron etc and no doubt were trying to starve off any other players leaving.

Gets a bit narky does Rory.

The worst I heard was Thompson. I remember some very awkward radio in the late 00s orly 10s when he was being quizzed on Dangerfield not playing in the midfield. Man that guy has a short fuse. It probably didnt help that Rowe repeats the same question 50 times if he doesnt get the answer he wants.

The worst I heard was Thompson. I remember some very awkward radio in the late 00s orly 10s when he was being quizzed on Dangerfield not playing in the midfield. Man that guy has a short fuse. It probably didnt help that Rowe repeats the same question 50 times if he doesnt get the answer he wants.
I remember hearing Rory get cranky on 5aa and thought of Thompson.

I remember hearing Rory get cranky on 5aa and thought of Thompson.

But Rowe is extremely irritating as an interviewer and I've heard players have to explain themselves 5 different ways over the same question. Bicks was a great interview and understood where the players answer comes from. Rowe just seems to have this idea on how he thinks things should be and will go anyone for going against his ideals. Not to mention asking questions above the players pay grade about internal club management things.

Time waits for no one unfortunately.

Must be tough for him with Tex carving it up and having his extension announced, whereas Rory is facing the end

I have this nagging thought though that any shortcomings this season (getting caught with the ball, bit slow chasing) will be put down to the ACL recovery. Won't be an issue next season. By Rory and perhaps by the club I mean. Add in our young list...?

Tim Silvers warm comments about all the South Australian holiday spots Rory has tried to put him onto hasn't exactly filled me with confidence.

Interesting that our system of running only 4 players through the centre square for so many years has left Sloane without another string to his bow to fall back on now.
Last paragraph is a great observation.

He is a good contested mark for his height, tough as a bull and a great tackler. Should be playing out his career on a HFF.

Neil once said that Goody was our best captain ever.

But you know, that's from the producer of the ''What's Tough in Footy DVD''

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back