Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Mark Bickley’s got changed in the telephone box and has appeared as ‘The Adelaide Apologist’ on radio again
I take very little out of Bickley's footy knowledge .....IMO just hasn't a "feel" for footy decision making .....hence why he's not Coaching anymore

Looks like Mark Bickley’s got changed in the telephone box and has appeared as ‘The Adelaide Apologist’ on radio again
I don’t have much of a problem with the scenario he painted. It’s just unlikely it plays out like that.

If he gets a one year deal he won’t be number 44 on the list, he’ll be picked most weeks.

Yeah it’s cringe, every time Sloane says that “have to be delisted” line he’s actually just baiting the club fully aware that he’s Bambi and the club won’t shoot Bambi

Obviously didn’t want to come across as selfish and get his media mates to start the ‘just give him his 500hungie and get it done’ campaign. Selfless to the end is Rory.

I don’t have much of a problem with the scenario he painted. It’s just unlikely it plays out like that.

If he gets a one year deal he won’t be number 44 on the list, he’ll be picked most weeks.

The apologists last year were saying Rory would be managed this season, would be in the SANFL a lot.

Keep an old dude because he's an old dude argument. If they want him around the club then hire him as a development coach or something.

And that's a fine argument to say "We won't guarantee you a game, if a younger player is next to you we'll go with the younger player" but I don't actually trust Nicks to stand by that as he's shown, particularly this year, that when the going gets tough he will go back to the seniors to get him out of a hole, and outside Tex we don't have the older players who can dig us out anymore.

Exactly right he’s justified his position on Sloane being given another deal on a fanciful idea that has no basis on what this Football Club has ever done previously, he’s just created this scenario to make himself seem like the level headed calm persona, that’s just Bickley’s schtick.

How’s his comment because the mean age of the entire squad of 44 players is one of the youngest they desperately need one 34 year old to stay on because he’s 34 years old 😂

The worry for Sloane on the weekend is that he actually played as well as he has in a while. Some nice grabs, seemed to be moving OK.

But even playing well he got caught, fumbled, made skill errors. He might realise that what he dished up on the weekend is as good as it's going to get.
Agree with that. I think Kane's pretty much on the money in the clip posted above - I think Sloane was fine on the weekend and justified his selection but I think it's unlikely he does so consistently next year. Importantly I also think that guys like Soligo, Rachele and Pedlar will be a year further into their development and ready for more responsibility. In light of that I'd like to see him moved on. I think it is likely they sign him but if they do I think he will need to be primarily in the SANFL next year.

Remains to be seen if that happens or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with that. I think Kane's pretty much on the money in the clip posted above - I think Sloane was fine on the weekend and justified his selection but I think it's unlikely he does so consistently next year. Importantly I also think that guys like Soligo, Rachele and Pedlar will be a year further into their development and ready for more responsibility. In light of that I'd like to see him moved on. I think it is likely they sign him but if they do I think he will need to be primarily in the SANFL next year.

Remains to be seen if that happens or not.
Sloane has had some absolute horrible moments each week, starting with when he panicked and gave away 50 against Daicos. He was awful against Essendon, awful against GWS and despite a predominantly handball game went at 59% disposal efficiency.

In no way did Sloane deserve a game based on form.

We won’t do that though, we will play Sloane.

And it’s all well and good for Bickley to say he will be better than the last player on our list, but that’s bullshit. What if that last player we pick up in the draft actually can play? He has the possibility of a future whereas Sloane has none.
Ironic that Bickley was the last player put on the Crows inaugural list

What if we had plonked a veteran SANFL player in his spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back