Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

He didnā€™t sound confident, reckon we are waiting out the year and Crouchā€™s resurgence has to have them thinking. They are watching the same games so no way they canā€™t see Sloanes recent deterioration.

Did I hear correctly, did Sloane refer to himself as playing some outstanding football or the club? I sure hope it was the latter.

With Murphy and Kearne signing on I almost don't see how we can offer him anything at this stage. We need list spots to play with over the next few months.

We have three really good picks in the draft which we might combine but no gurantees.

Four games is a long time. I hope he goes out with a high at the end of 2023 but if not then he will have to wait.

He didnā€™t sound confident, reckon we are waiting out the year and Crouchā€™s resurgence has to have them thinking. They are watching the same games so no way they canā€™t see Sloanes recent deterioration.

Did I hear correctly, did Sloane refer to himself as playing some outstanding football or the club? I sure hope it was the latter.
Even Roo acknowledged that he had a good start to the year, but his form in recent weeks had dropped off. Canā€™t remember if Nicks has said anything directly about it.

Even Roo acknowledged that he had a good start to the year, but his form in recent weeks had dropped off. Canā€™t remember if Nicks has said anything directly about it.
Where the fxxk does this ā€œgood start to the yearā€œ come from though?..

he played some good to very good quarters of football (mainly in the last quarter when all the opposition had slowed) here and there at the start of the year

rest of the time he was a liability that had to be carried by the rest of the team.

Roo is dreaming if he thinks Rory played any good full 4 quarter games of footy earlier on in the season.

the lad is cooked.. he needs to accept his fate and retire.. but his selfishness sees him want another year so he can cash in further. Heā€™s already ripped us off blind for the last 5 fxxkn years..

heā€™s gone nowhere near justifying being payed $850 a year in those last 5 seasons.. been little more than expensive list clogger. Although I will add he had several unfortunate injuries in those years.. eye, lisfranc, ACL, hand injury etc.

Time to cut the fxxkn cord.

"What he has delivered this year has been absolutely unbelievable. To do his ACL last year, go through rehab and throw himself in, he has just been such a role model for our group," Silvers told AFL.com.au.

So this is what "absolutely unbelievable" looks like. I must be wrong, I thought I was looking at cooked and struggling, silly me, I need to recalibrate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™m not so sure. What 2024 might ā€˜look likeā€™ could mean things other than an AFL list spot, eg a coaching spot (Iā€™m not in favour) or Wrightā€™s spot in the SANFL.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking, throw that in with the vibe Sloane gave across yesterday and Iā€™m not so sure itā€™s a given.

Selection tonight is going to be a massive sign. If heā€™s sub again then maybe we are sending a message to Sloane to make the decision. The only way I can see him coming into the team would be in place of Pedlar or Murphy, but doing that ahead of a fresh Rachelle would be madness and hard to justify.

Iā€™m not so sure. What 2024 might ā€˜look likeā€™ could mean things other than an AFL list spot, eg a coaching spot (Iā€™m not in favour) or Wrightā€™s spot in the SANFL.
I'm really hoping Rory can look at the Wright role in the sanfl.
He is still involved in a playing role with the club.
It feels like a win win

Has Collective Mind been back at the club or has John Olsen got his old political spin doctors into the club?

Thereā€™s some weird semi delusional gobbledygook thatā€™s coming from the higher ups at the club lately, every answer no matter what the question is just; ā€œeverythingā€™s great and everybody has just been performing brilliantlyā€

Youā€™d hope behind closed doors thereā€™s not just the simple talk from someone like Silvers who is on list management ā€œoh heā€™s coming back from a knee thatā€™s tough so his performances are actually unbelievable so he deserves a new deal at 34ā€

Last edited:
I agree with almost all posters on here with their viewpoints, Sloane should go, no issues about that from me.

I just find it kinda sad that many posters on here (and I am one of them) thats angry/disappointed/frustrated at him/Club for him likely being in our side next year in 2024 and probably in the midfield at the detriment of a young kid.

Furthermore if this decision costs us Mrouch, it will jack me off. At the end of the day the decision to keep Sloane or Mrouch is a no brainer. Its Mrouch all day, every day, 7 days a week, then daylight.

I loved Sloaney for years especially more so as he is Victorian and resisted offers to return home, but its just awful when a player reaches a stage where supporters then turn on him/Club for staying too long.

Hand over the captaincy? It was taken from him and given to Dawson, who has been excellent as captain.
Heā€™s on record saying he wanted to keep it.
He's on the record saying he wants to play on too. It remains to be seen if the club does the same thing here as they did with the Captaincy.

What I would love is for Rory to retire from AFL but sign on as a development coach and captain of the SANFL side, I think AFL has gone past him but still has a lot to offer a developing side like we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back