Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he definitely would be.
He is big, strong, athletic, versatile… what’s not to like?
Liking a player and needing a KPP do not necessarily put Curtin into our top handful of selections though. We will see soon enough no doubt.

This is where game development comes into it. In 2019, they were good player types. From 2022 onwards, speed has completely overtaken the game and if you are not close to elite, you will struggle when you don't have a strong outside game or burst from stoppage.

Agree. There are several reasons IMO it has gone this way but it is why I find rules like the "stand" rule or subs brought in with no notice incredibly frustrating. We already have list sizes that are too small for most teams not at the top of the development cycle to have decent list depth in all positions without making list management harder. Teams should be able to plan their lists properly over multiple years, not have the style of game artificially changed on a whim from head office yearly.

That highlights the best and work of Caddy.

Positives:

• Work rate
  • Natural footy IQ
  • Leading patterns
  • Body Positioning inside forward 50
  • Contested marking
  • Versatility

Negatives:

• Some examples of poor field kicking
  • Inconsistent marking
  • His size, doesn't look overly tall. Going to be even worse at AFL level
  • Avg set shot goal kicking

Damian Barrett on AAA claiming no club should get 3 top picks in a row.... and north don't deserve the number 1 pick this year.
I swear on my (living) mothers life, I am stapling our next premiership poster to his head

Damian Barrett on AAA claiming no club should get 3 top picks in a row.... and north don't deserve the number 1 pick this year.

So... not only do we not get assistance, but our top picks should be stripped from us we are that bad? Lloyd called him out on it... a little.
This is what "media" boils down to now. It's not reporting on what has happened, it's formulating an inflammatory opinion based loosely around what happened in an attempt to generate outrage on both sides of an argument. They then leverage that outrage into clicks and comments on the topic, which makes them money via commercial advertising.

Don't be a sheep, treat Barrett and the vast majority of so called "journalists" the same way you treat a yappy child oppo supporter, you want to scream at them to "shut the * up!" and tell them how dumb they are, but where does it get you? Just ignore, wait for the result, and hopefully we win.

I have had to swallow a lot of humble pie in the last few years, hopefully we start winning soon or some poor kid is gonna cop it..

This is what "media" boils down to now. It's not reporting on what has happened, it's formulating an inflammatory opinion based loosely around what happened in an attempt to generate outrage on both sides of an argument. They then leverage that outrage into clicks and comments on the topic, which makes them money via commercial advertising.

Don't be a sheep, treat Barrett and the vast majority of so called "journalists" the same way you treat a yappy child oppo supporter, you want to scream at them to "shut the * up!" and tell them how dumb they are, but where does it get you? Just ignore, wait for the result, and hopefully we win.

I have had to swallow a lot of humble pie in the last few years, hopefully we start winning soon or some poor kid is gonna cop it..
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

At what point do you feel the AFl media became this way?

I remember the old days when you had 5-10 actual football analysts that would dissect the game and tell you why each team could win the flag and provide detailed insight

Now all I hear is why X coach should be fired or what drugs some bloke was huffing down on saturday night

I remember the old days when you had 5-10 actual football analysts that would dissect the game and tell you why each team could win the flag and provide detailed insight

Now all I hear is why X coach should be fired or what drugs some bloke was huffing down on saturday night
I blame twitter.

This is where game development comes into it. In 2019, they were good player types. From 2022 onwards, speed has completely overtaken the game and if you are not close to elite, you will struggle when you don't have a strong outside game or burst from stoppage.
You're partially right, this was evident since Richmond's 2017 flag though, their fast paced game plan would become a staple of their dynasty. 2019 and then 2020 just further proved to everyone that slow and small midfielders weren't viable anymore.

With this knowledge in hand however, our absolute genius list manager decided to trade out of the 2019 draft into the 2020 draft and end up taking Phillips and Powell, with their inherent lack of speed making them a non-factor against guys like Bontempelli, Petracca, even Rohan and Pickett when they rotate through.

Probably happened around the same time that streaming content from America became easier.. It's the same model over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this has probably been asked a 1000x but hows Harley compare to the last say 3 or 4 drafts! would he be close to pick 1 on those?

He could have been pick 1 last year and that’s based on his 2022.

Going to say something that heaps will disagree with but that's alright; in drafting Harley Reid, I don't think we need to look for a CHF/another tall forward.

The way I see forward key position posts in the future, I think height isn't necessarily as important as the ability to compete both in the air and when the ball hits the deck.

All of PC, Zurhaar, Reid, George and Ford are quite strong, athletic and can compete well in the air as well as when it hits the deck. We've got Comben and Larkey as the taller types, with Larkey more the focal point inside 50m.

I'd still be starting Reid off a back flank, but the option of being able to play him as a key forward is an ace up the sleeve.

I think we need to focus on filling the following positions:
  • Outside runners
  • Defenders of all shapes and sizes
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck

Going to say something that heaps will disagree with but that's alright; in drafting Harley Reid, I don't think we need to look for a CHF/another tall forward.

The way I see forward key position posts in the future, I think height isn't necessarily as important as the ability to compete both in the air and when the ball hits the deck.

All of PC, Zurhaar, Reid, George and Ford are quite strong, athletic and can compete well in the air as well as when it hits the deck. We've got Comben and Larkey as the taller types, with Larkey more the focal point inside 50m.

I'd still be starting Reid off a back flank, but the option of being able to play him as a key forward is an ace up the sleeve.

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck
IMG_3341.gif

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck

100% agree. George is highly regarded and ready to play next year and Sheezel will provide some class forward next year as well .

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck
A quality small forward will probably fix the forward line issues

Playing deep forward, Harley started this game very well taking marks and kicking goals. Unfortunately his game ended early when he seemed to pick up a knee injury early in the second quarter. Here's hoping its nothing serious.

Umm that didn’t look at all good.

Here hoping it’s just a strained a medial or something.

Would be ultimate North if he did his ACL within minutes of us moving to 18th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back