Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

So not happy with Ginbey and Hewett split pick?

Eagles latest two rising star nominees v Wardlaw (out 3 times this season with hamstring issues) and Sheezel ( priivate school boy with go home risks).

Was that a dumb basic split with no analysis?

Last year 2 picks were better than 1 for the Eagles.
Every year is different and has to be assessed on its own merits.

Last year’s split pick was a win, not nearly so clear it would be this year.

This year we have pick 1, not pick 2.
The general consensus is that HR is clearly pick 1 and some distance beyond those behind. Last year it was not clear who was pick 1.
There is less clear messaging about the flight risk.
There are not two highly rated WA talents.
HR strongly fits a team and club need.

To apply the same blanket approach to every year is not being bright.

You've completely missed the point of the post.

Last year it made sense, as there were players ROB was confident WCE could get with the split picks and both were from WA.

This year there's only 1 WA talent expected to go in the first round, yet people still suggest splitting it for more WA talent.

That obviously won't work this year because the players simply aren't there to do that, yet people who don't follow the draft still advocate for splitting picks because it worked last year and just say "pick another 2 WA kids".

What WA kids?
Imagine in 2001, if wce drafted Polak instead of judd or “split picks” and then drafted polak just because he is west Australian.

People would rather have that than agony of someone leaving? With curtin, feels like that’s what people want. A Polak.

Imagine in 2001, if wce drafted Polak instead of judd or “split picks” and then drafted polak just because he is west Australian.

People would rather have that than agony of someone leaving? With curtin, feels like that’s what people want. A Polak.
Polak was a good player but no Judd. Sad about his accident curtailing his career.

I feel as though Curtin might have more strings to his bow than Polak and will be a very good player but I still think Harley is way ahead of him in class and team positional need.

Eagles latest two rising star nominees v Wardlaw (out 3 times this season with hamstring issues) and Sheezel ( priivate school boy with go home risks).

Has more than just go home risk!!!. He won't be at north in 2 yrs.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If father son, academy picks didn't exist and open draft was available.

Would any of the clubs in the last few years have split pick one to get 2 lower end picks? Doubt it.

JUH
daicos
Ashcroft

Who has ever split pick one and not taken it?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

As much as I like those two Harley looks like he's in a different category. Has the grunt of Ginbey, the silk of Hewett and he's taking hangers overheard that neither of them do.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a dead set weird campaigner too but it’s super bloody weird how people in here are talking as though they’re personally involved in this draft/trade stuff, especially that Bali campaigner offering advice and ‘help’. Are they kids playing make believe? wtf is going on brah.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a dead set weird campaigner too but it’s super bloody weird how people in here are talking as though they’re personally involved in this draft/trade stuff, especially that Bali campaigner offering advice and ‘help’. Are they kids playing make believe? wtf is going on brah.
Happens every year. Especially for struggling sides. Lose all year get top draft pick. It's only normal to want the best of the draft picks. Comes with the territory of the draft. As a club we can't screw it up or it's going to be a long few years ahead. It doesn't matter anyhow as no one has a say. We got 3 months before the draft. What else are we going to talk about if it's not draft trading.

Last year and this year has been the most I've been invested in the draft since 2010.

I wanted Darling with 4. Man, sitting there waiting for our next pick to see if Darling slid. Could have kissed Freo when they didn't pick him 🤣 I was on a high for the rest of the day 🤣

At least with Pick 1 it'll be over quickly.

Every year is different and has to be assessed on its own merits.

Last year’s split pick was a win, not nearly so clear it would be this year.

This year we have pick 1, not pick 2.
The general consensus is that HR is clearly pick 1 and some distance beyond those behind. Last year it was not clear who was pick 1.
There is less clear messaging about the flight risk.
There are not two highly rated WA talents.
HR strongly fits a team and club need.

To apply the same blanket approach to every year is not being bright.

And not considering it is also not being bright.

Agreed. Each draft is different. As is each drafts #1 ranked player

Then there is the go home factor to consider.

And stage of the clubs list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I like those two Harley looks like he's in a different category. Has the grunt of Ginbey, the silk of Hewett and he's taking hangers overheard that neither of them do.
Mate, Reid hasn't equaled Hewett's mark against South Australia last year in the U18s.
That mark was off the charts.

2022, split pick 2
2023, keep pick 1
One of these picks is not like the other…

Arrogantly take Reid, and watch Hairy Garry sook like it’s a 2018 Prelim Final.
7CD40A3A-B0D8-4360-B87C-9AC00AB77575.jpeg

Don't want to be that guy but don't be shocked if that was the deal with North if one happened.

Also expect any trade to happen draft night.
Disagree, we aren't that dumb.
The only way we'll trade pick 1 is for a completely over the top offer.

If we keep Harley for 2 years, he's going to shine and offers will only improve, or we keep him and he loves Perth.

Jay Clarke going with pick one to Hawks for pick 3 & Brockman & DGB.

Fock, Vicmedia making up stuff in an effort to maintain recency.

Can someone wake me up after draft night?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Journo saying “I think they should do this” becomes “They are going to do this”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back