Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting creative at the pointy end of the draft is a recipe for disaster.

We had the chance to draft two of the best three players in the country available.

You do not draft for needs in the top 3.

You don't split picks in the top 3 to chase sliders.

Don't forget how long we went without really high end talent on the lists and how it contributed to us being good to very good at best for a few years in the '10s.

We got very creative in the draft last year when circumstances dictated we had to, it's not thst we can't or won't.

It's thst when you have picks 2 and 3, you draft best available. End of story.
As they say in the cricket commentary, no need to get funky, just play the shots. We used our creativity to get this draft hand out of what we were dealt at the end of the season - it was good enough we didn’t need to do more on the night.

As they say in the cricket commentary, no need to get funky, just play the shots. We used our creativity to get this draft hand out of what we were dealt at the end of the season - it was good enough we didn’t need to do more on the night.

Precisely.

Worth noting West Coast clearly didn't value Curtin highly enough to start messing with their blue chip asset of next years 1st either.

Too many folks get sucked in by the content side of the draft.

Have we had an assessment by Souup or roos_fanatic08 ? There’s so many pages to sift through

A for mine.

With our early picks I really think we couldn’t have done any wrong with any combination of McKercher, Duursma, Watson, Curtin or Sanders.

Goad probably went a little higher than I expected, but we jumped the queue to get ahead of Adelaide which was smart. I rated Edwards higher than him, but there are some big question marks on his character and he’ll end up going later on in the draft. With Goad’s athleticism and frame (he’ll be 105kg once he fills out) he legit has the potential to be the best ruck in the comp.

Dawson is one of the latest born draftees in this draft crop, I had him rated a bit lower but based on his output this year and our need for KP’s I can see why we pulled the trigger here. I really like his physicality, he plays with a real intensity that can’t be taught. Like Goad, there is a tonne of upside there.

I’ve always been a fan of Hardeman, early days I thought he’d be pushing the top 10. So I was thrilled to get him. Good character, leadership capabilities and has natural footy IQ. Gave us some genuine intercepting depth across half back too. With a bit of time and physical development, I would see him being a Jordan Ridley type across half back.

Okay. I know in theory we have 1 more pick but I think there is more than enough information now to draw some conclusions about what we are thinking. Simple terms:

McKercher / Duursma - These mostly seem pure talent based picks, McKercher is a good fit for a contest heavy developing mid group. I also think that his type of heavy running quality disposal player is more and more the future given concussion issues. Duursma is a genuine impact player and force multiplier type with his leap and hands in particular. It's been quite a while since we had dangerous marking players in multiple positions so hopefully him supporting a few others changes that.

Then things get interesting. The ruck and backman selections appear slightly longer term, there is time for older players to stake their claim and this leaves them a little room to do so whilst these guys develop. Ruck of Goad's type will always be a long term investment and Dawson is also a big unit.

Round things out with a running defender, quicker to come on (hopefully) and all going well is either replacing someone who couldn't make it or allowing Sheezel or others to move upfield (Goater is my pick, I think he could be a weapon playing and pushing through the middle and a point of difference). We've lost a lot from the backline when it comes to phyiscally reliable senior players in JZ & Hall amongst others so good to have others in the pipeline.

Overall I see this as a club that feels it has turned the corner and has selected slightly mid - long term (although I think 2 & 3 will have every chance of a big impact in year 1).

Last edited:
So with the F/S and academy bids, we're left with pick 48. Gee there was a time not so long ago when we'd be stoked to have multiple picks inside 50. Will we use it folks? Likely possibilities? I think the one thing that stands out to me, is everyone selected has some exceptional trait, whether it be physical, athletic, skill wise, or a combination. I'm hopeful the days of picking up list cloggers for the same of it are over!
Hear hear!

I’ve always been a fan of Hardeman, early days I thought he’d be pushing the top 10. So I was thrilled to get him. Good character, leadership capabilities and has natural footy IQ. Gave us some genuine intercepting depth across half back too. With a bit of time and physical development, I would see him being a Jordan Ridley type across half back.

Reckon we got a steal there. Classic Clarko player too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who has watched zero vision and only read things....

Dawson vs Murphy
Goad vs Edwards

Kind of underwhelmed and confused at the time, seems we went for ceiling over output.

However it's a clear indication that due to neither Murphy or Edwards being picked up still shows there are clear issues and perhaps for once NMFC knows what's it doing.

Fair few decent options still left on the board.

Reid, ZZ, Murphy, Morris, Freijah, Hastie, Roberts, Mannagh.

Do we sit tight for the next 15 picks or so, or will we get aggressive?

I actually forgot about Hastie. I’d definitely trade up for him even though we took Hardeman. You’d essentially be looking for those two to replace Hall & Young on the list.

I reckon a few clubs might even take pick 47 + F3 to allow us to jump up 8-10 places.

Here is who’s left from my rankings:

15: Mitch Edwards
16: Ollie Murphy
19: Arie Schoenmaker
20: Joel Friejah
21: Tew Jiath
23: Angus Hastie
24: Archer Reid
26: Clay Hall
27: Jack Delean
29: George Stevens
30: Archie Roberts
32: Logan Morris
34: Lual Luamon

Plus the likes of Luke Lloyd, Nath Philactides, Koen Sanchez and Riley Weatherill.

I’d be pretty bloody happy with any of the above,

Have we had an assessment by Souup or roos_fanatic08 ? There’s so many pages to sift through

Mckercher - Great selection. Consistent, hard running, inside/outside mid who was arguably the best performing underage player this season. Perfect fit for the modern game.

Duursma - Arguably has the highest ceiling in this draft. Strong for his size, courageous and vice-like hands. Can play as a midfielder or forward.

Goad - Was a big proponent of taking a ruck at this selection and would have been happy with any of Green, Edwards and Goad. Goad is the most raw of the 3 but also closest to playing weight and quickest. He needs some time to develop game sense as he's played the least amount of football of the 3 but he's shown some really exciting flashes.

Dawson - I'm not sure who it was but someone compared him to Harris Andrews and I really like that comparison. He has really long arms and his best trait is his reading of the flight. He's been thrown around a lot this year but I think he'll develop into a really handy intercept marking defender if we let him settle into the position. He also has really tidy skills over a short-medium range, his hands are strong and he's aggressive with his attack on the ball. I think it says a bit that arguably his best game of the year was against an extremely strong Allies side in the U18 champs. If anyone wants to get excited about him as a prospect, have a look at that game.

Hardeman - He just does everything well and it's hard to find a weak point in his game. He moves well, has a very good left foot with great penetration, locks down well, can intercept and rebound using run and carry. We've been crying out for quality rebounding defenders and with Goater, Bergman and Hardeman, I think we finally have something for the future in that regard.

A for mine.

With our early picks I really think we couldn’t have done any wrong with any combination of McKercher, Duursma, Watson, Curtin or Sanders.

Goad probably went a little higher than I expected, but we jumped the queue to get ahead of Adelaide which was smart. I rated Edwards higher than him, but there are some big question marks on his character and he’ll end up going later on in the draft. With Goad’s athleticism and frame (he’ll be 105kg once he fills out) he legit has the potential to be the best ruck in the comp.

Dawson is one of the latest born draftees in this draft crop, I had him rated a bit lower but based on his output this year and our need for KP’s I can see why we pulled the trigger here. I really like his physicality, he plays with a real intensity that can’t be taught. Like Goad, there is a tonne of upside there.

Jordan Ridley ?

How about Knights, Glendinning, Jakovich ?

As someone who has watched zero vision and only read things....

Dawson vs Murphy
Goad vs Edwards

Kind of underwhelmed and confused at the time, seems we went for ceiling over output.

However it's a clear indication that due to neither Murphy or Edwards being picked up still shows there are clear issues and perhaps for once NMFC knows what's it doing.

Murphy tested so poorly for his 5-10-20m sprint times. I think clubs realised that with those times he is going to be torched on the lead as a key defender. He is also very slight, so there is going to be a 3-4 year investment.

Edwards was the more proven ruckman, but interviewed very poorly and there are big question marks around his character. Obviously big enough to have a heap of clubs overlook him (not just us)

Murphy tested so poorly for his 5-10-20m sprint times. I think clubs realised that with those times he is going to be torched on the lead as a key defender. He is also very slight, so there is going to be a 3-4 year investment.

Edwards was the more proven ruckman, but interviewed very poorly and there are big question marks around his character. Obviously big enough to have a heap of clubs overlook him (not just us)
Thank you! Heard the Edwards stuff but had no idea about Murphy's testing. Makes alot of sense, and given the expansive knowledge I have already has me hack to excited 😄 🤣

Only thing I guess that's a negative is we drafted someone from Tassie, SA and WA.... Probably still scarred from Judas

Thank you! Heard the Edwards stuff but had no idea about Murphy's testing. Makes alot of sense, and given the expansive knowledge I have already has me hack to excited 😄 🤣

Only thing I guess that's a negative is we drafted someone from Tassie, SA and WA.... Probably still scarred from Judas

I think many recruiters were surprised at just how poorly Murphy tested. I mean he could've been carrying a niggle or something, but whatever happened at the combine was enough to see him fall from the top 15 to outside the top 30.

Don't think there is anything to worry about regarding the go home factor. Goad and Hardeman seemed very excited to get to the club. Might have concerns when the Tassie team comes in with McKercher, but I'm sure we'll get adequately compensated in the event he does want to play for the new side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back