Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Might have concerns when the Tassie team comes in with McKercher, but I'm sure we'll get adequately compensated in the event he does want to play for the new side.
the kid who in a pre draft interview said he couldn't wait to leave Tassie and half his family are Roos supporters?

Not worried in the slightest about him leaving.

Mckercher - Great selection. Consistent, hard running, inside/outside mid who was arguably the best performing underage player this season. Perfect fit for the modern game.

Duursma - Arguably has the highest ceiling in this draft. Strong for his size, courageous and vice-like hands. Can play as a midfielder or forward.

Goad - Was a big proponent of taking a ruck at this selection and would have been happy with any of Green, Edwards and Goad. Goad is the most raw of the 3 but also closest to playing weight and quickest. He needs some time to develop game sense as he's played the least amount of football of the 3 but he's shown some really exciting flashes.

Dawson - I'm not sure who it was but someone compared him to Harris Andrews and I really like that comparison. He has really long arms and his best trait is his reading of the flight. He's been thrown around a lot this year but I think he'll develop into a really handy intercept marking defender if we let him settle into the position. He also has really tidy skills over a short-medium range, his hands are strong and he's aggressive with his attack on the ball. I think it says a bit that arguably his best game of the year was against an extremely strong Allies side in the U18 champs. If anyone wants to get excited about him as a prospect, have a look at that game.

Hardeman - He just does everything well and it's hard to find a weak point in his game. He moves well, has a very good left foot with great penetration, locks down well, can intercept and rebound using run and carry. We've been crying out for quality rebounding defenders and with Goater, Bergman and Hardeman, I think we finally have something for the future in that regard.
Hardeman compared to Wilson who we missed out on? Who would you rate higher for that half back role?

Mannagh at #47 🤞
Freo all over him.

The Dockers may also look interstate to fill the void left by Lachie Schultz’s shock move to the reigning premiers Collingwood during the trade period, with Werribee forward Shaun Mannagh an option.

“We’ve watched Shaun for several years. He’s 26 now and has been playing strong VFL footy for some years,” Walls said.

“He’s been around; everyone knows who he is, so he’s another one who is in our order and in our thoughts, but probably further back in the draft.

“He’s got potential to be able to come in and be able to play, but really, with what Lachie produced, it’s unfair and a massive call for someone to come in and replace what he was doing.

“Shaun has scope to play AFL footy next year, but to say on the level to be a replacement (for Schultz) is a bit unrealistic.”

Hardeman compared to Wilson who we missed out on? Who would you rate higher for that half back role?

I'm a big Darcy Wilson fan but his best position is as a winger. He doesn't have the strength or overhead ability to play as a defender.

Wilson > Hardeman when it comes to general talent
Hardeman >>> Wilson if we're judging them on their ability to play in defense

It was a shame we missed out on Wilson by a pick and I'm sure we did everything we could to trade up to get Leake (suspect the Swans were more worried about losing Green then getting any extra picks) but those picks were all ticks for me, particularly impressed by Hardeman.

Freo pick 38 and 41 could be used on Zakostelsky and O’Driscoll/Edwards. We could get Mannagh at our pick 47.

I think many recruiters were surprised at just how poorly Murphy tested. I mean he could've been carrying a niggle or something, but whatever happened at the combine was enough to see him fall from the top 15 to outside the top 30.

Don't think there is anything to worry about regarding the go home factor. Goad and Hardeman seemed very excited to get to the club. Might have concerns when the Tassie team comes in with McKercher, but I'm sure we'll get adequately compensated in the event he does want to play for the new side.

Go home factor only rears up if someone doesn't settle in or doesn't get the opportunity to play. We generally don't lose players that are going well. There were issues with JHF, he wasn't getting on well with the coach/staff/players and the Hawthorn thing was the icing on the cake. There was a lot of shit hitting the media, it was a negative environment.

I wouldn't expect the same environment to happen under Clakson/Viney.

With a late kick I don’t mind project types

But not with a first round pick
youre GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big Darcy Wilson fan but his best position is as a winger. He doesn't have the strength or overhead ability to play as a defender.

I was hoping for Wilson as well, it would have made it difficult for us to play him in his best role after picking up Stephens.

We now have Stephens, Tucker and Scott for that wing role, someone like Hardeman could release Sheezel to go forward, it would be hard to imagine Sheezel going into the middle given we have also picked up McKercher.

Thanks. I think that's a good outcome then.

With Fisher & Stephens - plus Scott and potentially McKercher (maybe Goater if he can get his endurance up) we're somewhat more stocked on the wing post this off season than we have been in the past.

A rebounding defender with skill and leadership that can actually defend - is a real need. So given that, not too disappointed on missing out on Wilson in that context.

You realise drafting is a lot more about getting players that will be the best they can be in 3, 4 or even 10 years time and not just who plays the best now in underaged footy?
Yeh but I’ll always back who has produced more now over projecting project types with earlier picks

Later picks I’d take the latter view

We don’t go well reaching for players (see Neilson, Will walker etc) take the proven talent early

Let’s hope wil Dawson bucks the trend

What's the deal with Mitch Edwards. I'm really excited about Goad and am really glad we got him, I'm just curious because I haven't read anything about Edwards' character. Also, what do people mean what tehy say he interviewed poorly? Like just had bad character?

Murphy tested so poorly for his 5-10-20m sprint times. I think clubs realised that with those times he is going to be torched on the lead as a key defender. He is also very slight, so there is going to be a 3-4 year investment.

Edwards was the more proven ruckman, but interviewed very poorly and there are big question marks around his character. Obviously big enough to have a heap of clubs overlook him (not just us)
What does interviewed poorly actually mean? Arrogant? Uninterested? Poor game knowledge? Revealed a lack of professionalism in preparation? All of the above?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back