List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we think happens with North this year? Does the AFL just keep handing them PP's because they're still shit?

It's what 2-3 consecutive years of PPs for them?

If they do get one, how will it affect ours?
They already got 2 for this year.

Last year they were given 2 end of first round PP for the 2024 season and were told to use them or lose them. So they traded them away for.....remind me someone.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

They already got 2 for this year.

Last year they were given 2 end of first round PP for the 2024 season and were told to use them or lose them. So they traded them away for.....remind me someone.

Ah excellent, so our 2nd round pick gets pushed back by a minimum of 2 from the get go... :drunk:

Will be curious if we end up getting 2x end of first round PP's whether they'll be before or after north's then.

It’s not that North won’t apply, it’s that they already received and used priority picks this year.

Anyway back to us - acknowledge I’m in the minority here but no, we shouldn’t, nobody should ever get priority picks. The current system is broken beyond repair so if there’s one on offer, absolutely rort the system dry, fine. But if they said we’re not giving the Eagles one and we will use this as the springboard to never hand out another priority pick ever again I’d be happy to be the one who has to eat a bit of shit when the music stops for the greater good of the game.

It’s not that North won’t apply, it’s that they already received and used priority picks this year.

Anyway back to us - acknowledge I’m in the minority here but no, we shouldn’t, nobody should ever get priority picks. The current system is broken beyond repair so if there’s one on offer, absolutely rort the system dry, fine. But if they said we’re not giving the Eagles one and we will use this as the springboard to never hand out another priority pick ever again I’d be happy to be the one who has to eat a bit of shit when the music stops for the greater good of the game.

My heart is with you, my head says **** that. Beg for everything that they'll give us.

Tassie is coming in 2028 and the talent pool gets diluted by another 50 players from then. That is almost 3 players per club that each club won't have access to from the 2027 draft/trade period.

I doubt they'll give us 2-3 yrs worth of help, but I suspect they'll help on a once off occasion. I willing to wear the bitching and moaning from all my Victorian colleagues and friends here in Melbourne.

If we could get a mid to late first rounder for this draft and a couple of end of first rounders for next year's draft, that would be huge.

I’ve always been against PPs but you can’t have one set of rules for Norf and a different set of rules for us. May as well say Norf can have 19 players on the field. I don’t know what other metric you can use other than W/L so according to that we should be getting a 2R and 3R to trade then the 3x end of 1st next year.

We really should also be getting an end of 1R this year to allow for the fact that pick 19 became pick 30 in this pathetic excuse for a fair draft.

What do we think happens with North this year? Does the AFL just keep handing them PP's because they're still shit?

It's what 2-3 consecutive years of PPs for them?

If they do get one, how will it affect ours?

We aren't getting anything else, we got a future pick last year for this year that we could trade it away last year and we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are all clubs that get a PP? At fault for their lists?

Who else would be?

Some clubs get priority access and others do not.

They get priority AND a discount AND the ability to pay with crap picks.

Some clubs get ahead with priority father son access AND a discount AND pay with crap picks

THAT is what needs evening up and priority picks are one method to do it.

Why should teams on top of the ladder get a leg up and the teams in 17th and 18th get nothing? Except their draft hand diluted.

Last edited:

Its a bit dumb to give 1 team priority picks and then say "well now never again". AFL got a few more years and few more picks to hand out to teams before they can cast this one aside.

We should rort the system and be on of those teams

In reality, the time for AFL to cut the umbilical cord this way is when Tasmania joins.

I get that priority picks/FS/academies are ruining the draft, but we should absolutely apply and receive priority picks this year if AFL wants to be considered and create a 'fair' game.

We have won 18 of our past 83 games and 8 of our last 61 games.
Assuming we don't win again this year and bank 3-5 wins next year, these statics will look a lot worse next year.

This is an article debating if North should get a PP in 2022 with 8 wins from 44 games, we currently have a worse WL ratio. They received 2 extra picks to be traded.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/744499/eight-wins-from-44-games-do-roos-deserve-a-priority-pick

This is an article from 2023 when north received 3 extra picks after a track record of winning 12 of their past 84 games.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1041604/afl-commission-signs-off-on-north-melbourne-assistance-package

Admittedly, North haven't won 10 games in a season since 2019 while we last won 10 games in 2021.

AFL should learn from this and be proactive in awarding us picks this year, rather than us continue to bottom out those extra years similar to North.

WCE Season Summary
1720526542021.png

North Season Summary
1720526939851.png

I’ve always been against PPs but you can’t have one set of rules for Norf and a different set of rules for us. May as well say Norf can have 19 players on the field. I don’t know what other metric you can use other than W/L so according to that we should be getting a 2R and 3R to trade then the 3x end of 1st next year.

We really should also be getting an end of 1R this year to allow for the fact that pick 19 became pick 30 in this pathetic excuse for a fair draft.
The irony of this post is that we actually lost a game to a side that had 19 players on the field and then lost another game to them cos we made one too many interchanges.

Anyway I think youse should have exactly the same PPs we got over the last couple of years.

That would be fair wouldn't it?

The irony of this post is that we actually lost a game to a side that had 19 players on the field and then lost another game to them cos we made one too many interchanges.

Anyway I think youse should have exactly the same PPs we got over the last couple of years.

Well you’d think so wouldn’t you… Let’s see if Laura agrees in an attempt to (somewhat ironically) maintain a shred of integrity.

Whilst I agree with you there, do you really think there is any chance that that's what will happen?

I give it zero percent chance that we'll get a GCS 2019 package (despite being worse than they were over three years) and about a 1% chance we'll get a North 2023/24 package.

Whilst I agree with you there, do you really think there is any chance that that's what will happen?

I give it zero percent chance that we'll get a GCS 2019 package (despite being worse than they were over three years) and about a 1% chance we'll get a North 2023/24 package.
You'll probably get something similar to our 22 PPs, a second and third. If you're as shit in 2025 you'll get more

How about the North 2022 package. As 99% of posters are saying.

A future 2nd and 3rd that must be traded for players.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Back