Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Skills aside, I think this is actually what separates him. To instinctively know what is the correct option in any given situation (and sometimes the options are available only to him in terms of capacity to execute) and then to execute under pressure.

I was thinking a little bit about the accolades he might receive when he retires and how he might be compared to other greats (his greatness is not in question). I think what opponents will likely say is that he was so skilled and such a natural footballer with an imposing physique, that he could actually play (if required) every position on the ground to such a level that he would make the AA team in that position. (Maybe ruck would be a stretch but it's only a maybe).

I can't think of another player, past or present, that could do that.
You are just describing EJ Whitten who did play for Victoria in Key Positions back and forward and on ball.

I do remember one player described that way ... EJ Whitten.

An appropriate comparison.

You are just describing EJ Whitten who did play for Victoria in Key Positions back and forward and on ball.
Well colour me learnded. I feel a statue will be in order. But what will the pose be? And is there enough bronze in the world to include all the players clutching at air in his wake?

I'm surprised Bont has only polled two career Brownlow votes v Essendon...

View attachment 2027580

Especially surprising since Essendon would probably be close to the best win-loss record over Bontempelli's tenure. North and Gold Coast likely the other two who are his highest polling teams

Especially surprising since Essendon would probably be close to the best win-loss record over Bontempelli's tenure. North and Gold Coast likely the other two who are his highest polling teams
Yeah, the list I posted above shows his total votes polled against each team. NM and GCS as you predicted are top two.

Bont grew up wearing the Essendon uniform in his junior footy at Eltham. Maybe he plays badly at a deep subconscious level as he was used to seeing the red and the black as his teammates growing up... (I'm being half-serious here!)

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in the mvp this year. Already has two, if he has a third then he’s only the second player to do so. Behind Ablett with five (what a freak).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Matthews Trophy

5x Gary Ablett Jr (2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)
3x MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (2021, 2023, 2024)
2x Greg Williams (1985, 1994)
2x Wayne Carey (1995, 1998)
2x Michael Voss (2002, 2003)
2x Chris Judd (2006, 2011)
2x Nat Fyfe (2014, 2015)

Bulldogs’ skipper Marcus Bontempelli has joined rare company in securing his third AFL Players’ Most Valuable Player award.

He sits alongside Gary Ablett Jnr as the only player to win the Leigh Matthews Trophy three times in the award’s 43-year history.

Bontempelli averaged 26 disposals and kicked 31 goals in his 23 matches this year, finishing the home and away season ranked in the top seven players for contested possessions, clearances, inside 50s, and goal assists.
The 28-year-old, who was presented with the Leigh Matthews Trophy in front of friends, family and peers at an industry-wide event on Thursday night, edged out 2019 MVP Award winner Patrick Cripps and dynamic Swan Isaac Heeney.

The midfielder was proud to claim the honour again, voted as the best by his peers.

“It’s an extraordinary honour,” Bontempelli said.

“To be alongside some of the other names on the plaque is a cherished achievement that I care about.

“I’m not even close to Gary Ablett, which goes to show the type of player he was for such a long period of time. But to be in the same conversation, while hard to get my head around, is an honour and one that will continue to find meaning long after my career is finished.

“I couldn’t be more grateful.”

The evening at Melbourne Park’s Centrepiece combined the AFLPA MVP Awards, AFL Rising Star, All Australian team and AFL Coaches Association Awards.

Bontempelli was also voted Best Captain, presented by The Diamond Guys, for a third time, ahead of fellow leaders Cripps and Zach Merrett.

Leigh Matthews Trophy for the Most Valuable Player, presented by Snaffle

1. Marcus Bontempelli
  2. Patrick Cripps
  3. Isaac Heeney
  4. Nick Daicos
  5. Jesse Hogan

Another Leigh Matthews trophy for the great man. :goat:

An out and out champion, as recognised by his peers who understand probably the most what it means to be the most valuable player in the competition. The man is a freak capable of playing basically anywhere on the field and the way he moves and almost glides around the ground placing the ball on a platter for all of the other bulldogs players is such a joy to behold every week.

Very grateful that I have been able to watch his entire career from game 1 right up till now and so many more still to come. I doubt this will be his year for the Brownlow as well but hopefully he has higher order team achievements to bask in.

Congratulations Captain Bont

Leigh Matthews Trophy

5x Gary Ablett Jr (2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)
3x MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (2021, 2023, 2024)
2x Greg Williams (1985, 1994)
2x Wayne Carey (1995, 1998)
2x Michael Voss (2002, 2003)
2x Chris Judd (2006, 2011)
2x Nat Fyfe (2014, 2015)
We know it already, but surely now entering undisputed 'best player of his era' territory amongst the wider football supporting public if he wasn't already. Brownlow be damned.

We know it already, but surely now entering undisputed 'best player of his era' territory amongst the wider football supporting public if he wasn't already. Brownlow be damned.

Presumably the post-Dusty era and not just the post-Gaz era. Hard to go past three Norm Smith's.

Definitely deserved amongst all great names in the 21st century. Best Bulldog I've seen and wouldn't be surprised if its still the case in 50 years

Captaining a flag would absolutely cement it in…

I think most football fans already agree that the AFLPA and AFLCA awards are more credible assessments than the one awarded by the umpires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back