Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sorry, 63% voting for him but I don’t see it with Carroll
[/QUOTE]

What you want with younger midfielders is linear improvement. Apart from maybe round 1 this year as an early sub, I thought that that was Carroll's best game this year. Doesn't mean he was a superstar but I get the feeling that he might be starting to feel that he might belong at this level, as opposed to thinking that the axe is always hovering over him.

Thought that first half was pretty deplorable. Coaches and players clearly went to work at half time, put in changes, and executed in the second half. Much more buoyant about the second half than it seems others are, it was what we’ve seen for most of the year - pressure, contest, ground ball gets, aggressive positioning and executing.

Still obviously plenty to work on, but I’m choosing to focus more on the positive that was the second half. Kept them to 5.3 for the half too against a plucky Roos team playing the best they’ve played in a long time. Ollie, Cerra (second half), Cotters, Carroll, Elijah and Fog all much improved performances. Bring on the power on Friday

Unconvincing win but a win nonetheless. Cottrell and Hollands done nothing to suggest they're immune to the VFL. Hollands' decision making must be up there with the worst in the AFL at times.

Durdin can go back to the VFL for me, no reason to be playing ahead of Kemp. Cerra can follow him too. Woeful.

Cripps, Hewitt and Saad enormous. Curnow better, Fogarty also.

We've got many issues. Hard to see us competing at the end of September after that performance but I also saw how we played in our purple patch.

Saw Acres hobble off – how bad?

Thought that first half was pretty deplorable. Coaches and players clearly went to work at half time, put in changes, and executed in the second half. Much more buoyant about the second than it seems others are, it was what we’ve seen for most of the year - pressure, contest, ground ball gets, aggressive positioning and executing.

Still obviously plenty to work on, but I’m choosing to focus more on the positive that was the second half. Kept them to 5.3 for the half too against a plucky Roos team playing the best they’ve played in a long time. Ollie, Cerra (second half), Cotters, Carroll, Elijah and Fog all much improved performances. Bring on the power on Friday
Almost as if we decided to drop the layers and return to the game style of our first half of the season.

McGovern and Kemp back in next week - fanks.
Carroll was good today - tick ( may have actually found one at last)
A few very sore boys out there - injury list will be interesting.
Interesting with Carroll, maybe dropping him sparked hunger. Played well!

If we don’t find a KPD and look everywhere to fill the giant hole it’s created then I blame list management.

Cripps gets the 3 votes for mine. Historically, someone in a losing team has to be significantly better to steal the votes. Sheezel though.. what a damn good player. He’s an absolute jet.
Sheezel 3 he was just superb. Cripps defs 2 or 1 vote tho which only adds to his lead in a week where all the contenders didn’t poll

Almost as if we decided to drop the layers and return to the game style of our first half of the season.
I think we were limited with personnel in playing that style - we had a lot of sore bodies out there today. But yes, it looked much more like us in the first half of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning aside, the umpires are ruining the game. There is no consistency in what gets paid and what doesn’t. Both teams tonight got paid frees that should never have been paid, and conversely didn’t get frees that were clearly there and should’ve been paid. They’ve lost control and continue to ruin this game we love.

As a side note. Since they’ve changed the holding the ball rule interpretation, Sam Walsh has struggled. Just not the same. Maybe it’s a coincidence.

We were woeful in the first half.

Things clicked in the third and if Cinc and Ollie kick easy shots we win that by 6 goals.

Hopefully that’s the spark, but if I’m Port I’d be licking my lips.

Hewett was great. Crippa was terrific. Walsh woke up in but second half. Thought Ollie and Cotts were better than decent on the wing.

Happy to be second. Gonna be an arm wrestle to keep the spot with Freo and Brion breathing down our necks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thought Walsh and Cerra were borderline liabilities...

Cerra looks unfit.

Walsh was struggling to tackle - injury issues?

O Hollands wouldn't b in my side presently.

Yes, made a few spoils, but butchered the ball way too often.

His brother lost his mojo too.

That was as ugly as it gets, but in the interest of being positive...

Enjoyed having Motlop back. With the two towers + Owies, Motlop, Fog, E. Hollands + Martin to come back in, we have a critical mass of players who are able to find the goals. All capable of kicking multiples.

A few players who have been down that seems to lift - O Hollands and Cotts in particular.

All our consistent players did their think - Cripps, Newman, etc. - great to have Hewett back into that group, too.

Saad giving some spark. Hopefully with McGovern coming back, we'll have even more drive. Would love to see Cunners for a full game for the same reason.

While we still conceded nearly 90pts, there was only 18 scoring shots. North crazy accurate made the margin smaller.
(But can the match committee please choose 7 genuine defender next week? 🙏)

That is definitely winning ugly. A massive improvement is needed if we are to hold onto second position for the remainder of the season.

sad a bugs life GIF

I really need to ask but what the flower has Young done to be replaced by Sam Durdin. Surely our match committee aren’t that dumb or stubborn?

Clarkson embarrassed Voss today and nearly pulled off a miracle. Kennedy at full back on Teackle, taking so many injured players into a game and playing Cerra at half back? Damn.

Lucky you get the 4 points today but we are very sore and I’m not sure we’ll survive the next 2 weeks.

Anyway crowd heading back home on the train, very subdued - says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cerra can never playing half back again.

I would reward Binns with a game next week at the expense of Ollie. Inexcusable missing the goal which would have iced the game and also kicked it directly to a Roos player at least twice if not more. Thought it was crazy to sub Acres rather than him.

Think we need Gov, Martin and Kemp back next week for Port.

Great to see Mots back and doing what a small forward should do!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes, Ollie was better today in moments but also bloody shockingly bad at times...

Martin, Guv, Boyd and Kemp to come back in.

I'd be dropping Cerra and giving Cuningham a full game.

Carroll was ok but doubt he'll hold a spot.

Cotters much better.

E. Hollands needs to find form too. Perhaps drank too much of his own bath water?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back