News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Not really sure it’s Hawthorn in the media, but I guess it kind of fits here.

Gunston must have been unavailable.
It’s quite amazing to have 4 guys from 1 suburban club on the list.

View attachment 2079714
Thanks for this SYL, so wonderful to see a “giving back” to grass roots footy. Never see or hear it enough, strangely it is the pillar on which the AFL is built. Mind you not being in the know or connected with community footy, playing career trailed off at 15 for me, I am sure it happens and I do love to see it. Thanks again for the share.

Here is the link to read the article.
Robbo goes into depth comparing the "Baby Bombers" premiership side of 1993 to the current Hawthorn side and how they can strive to emulate the Bombers achievements.

https://archive.md/UE4v8
Plenty of credit for Mitchell and the club from Montagna in there too. People are going to have to find something else to complain about on here.

Robbo goes into depth comparing the "Baby Bombers" premiership side of 1993 to the current Hawthorn side and how they can strive to emulate the Bombers achievements.

Between this article, Essendon’s discharge of the bilge-water today and the game tonight, #360 should be absolutely prime melt. I may actually tune in for the second time this year.

Not a bad article. Main thing that bothers me about Robbo's articles is that every sentence is a new paragraph.

What always gets lost in these analyses is how young Hawthorn were in 2008. Baby bombers were 24y 3m, those Hawks were 24y and 7m. Always felt we could look closer to home with the comparisons. Young coaches, flag experience, pushing the envelope.

I don't know if anyone has seen this article from Rohan Connolly on the Hawks. Rocket speaks of the "ruthless" Hawks, and RoCo on the Hawks being steadfast. I think it's an interesting perspective, and one I'd like to build on.

I was chatting last night with a long-suffering Carlton supporting mate. What I gleaned from that conversation is a key difference between Carlton and us. They have an expectation that they will win flags. I don't think Hawthorn has an expectation of the same: we have a belief that we will.

The key difference here being that having a belief provides us with patience, whereas having an expectation means that there's much more of an immediate gratification requirement (hence the turnover of coaches there, perhaps). Likewise, unmet expectations lead to disappointment; unfulfilled belief leads to quiet (excluding BF) reflection and formative course adjustment.

P

(Edit: To clarify: he's long-suffering due to the Carlton supporting aspect, not due to our friendship)

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, the youngest side to win a flag was Collingwood in 2010. I always remind people this when they talk about how Hawthorn won flags because of the expansion teams. It's not our fault that other teams who got their rebuilding done pre-expansion shat the bed so badly.

I hate that argument. The expansion clubs had absolutely no bearing on our success, IMO. It had more of an impact on Richmond's success.

Which bottom sides back then were a pick or two away from contention?

Those players from the compromised drafts (2010 onwards), eg. Coniglio, Greene, Treloar, Lynch, Prestia, Whitfield, etc. all came into their own and started to really hit their strides after our dominant run from 2012 to 2015.

Were the Eagles, who finished last in 2010, a David Swallow away from knocking us off?

Were the Lions a few improved top ten picks (eg. from pick 8 to pick 4) from between 2010 to 2012 away from challenging us?

Last edited:
Whenever anyone asked me who I preferred, Hodge or Mitchell. I always said the same thing. If you wanted to make a grand final, Sam Mitchell, if you wanted to win a grand final, Luke Hodge.
Interesting though given our current brash personality the celebrations the rat pack etc don’t think this would’ve gone down well with the likes of Hodgey if he was still playing he used to run a tight conservative ship . I vividly remember him ticking off Ryan Burton for getting too enthusiastic with his celebration during a game .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting though given our current brash personality the celebrations the rat pack etc don’t think this would’ve gone down well with the likes of Hodgey if he was still playing he used to run a tight conservative ship . I vividly remember him ticking off Ryan Burton for getting too enthusiastic with his celebration during a game .
I could comfortably say that it wouldn't have gone down well at any previous time in the club's history, even in that fallow period from 97-04. That's one reason I think it's great. And it's accompanied by a very Hawthorn-like work ethic. As long as the players keep working hard for each other, they can celebrate the results of their hard work in whatever fashion that they see fit.

I don't know if anyone has seen this article from Rohan Connolly on the Hawks. Rocket speaks of the "ruthless" Hawks, and RoCo on the Hawks being steadfast. I think it's an interesting perspective, and one I'd like to build on.

I was chatting last night with a long-suffering Carlton supporting mate. What I gleaned from that conversation is a key difference between Carlton and us. They have an expectation that they will win flags. I don't think Hawthorn has an expectation of the same: we have a belief that we will.

The key difference here being that having a belief provides us with patience, whereas having an expectation means that there's much more of an immediate gratification requirement (hence the turnover of coaches there, perhaps). Likewise, unmet expectations lead to disappointment; unfulfilled belief leads to quiet (excluding BF) reflection and formative course adjustment.

P

(Edit: To clarify: he's long-suffering due to the Carlton supporting aspect, not due to our friendship)
download (8).jpeg

I believe in believe.
Come what may you'll find us striving.

It’s genius because Gen Z is different to all before it. Sam understands it and how culture is the most important thing in a club. This culture that has been developed in 2024 is a huge weapon.

As a 40-year member there is no way I would ordinarily have felt comfortable watching the goal celebrations, tall poppy syndrome and all that. But the truth is that times have changed. Kids want to express themselves more. They watch international sports stars doing it. This is the Gen Z that Jack Ginnivan leads. He has thousands of followers and this has translated into positive energy for the Hawks. Sam has allowed Jack the space to be himself, and this has caused a flow on effect to many others, especially in the forward line. In terms of impact on the club, Ginni has been the most significant trade for a long time. He is talismanic.

The rascal pack are leading a phenomenal brand of football that is not based on high end draft picks, but on personality, will and hard running. On paper, the Hawks still are the same as the Rounds 1-5 team, but with all of the Tik Tok Selfie energy, it is riding a social media wave that no other culture has been brave enough to tap into. The conservative football public are mostly afraid to express their disdain and quietly shocked, but really it is just Ginny dragging Hawthorn into the same sporting realms of the successful sports cultures that already exist around the world. Go Hawks!

It’s genius because Gen Z is different to all before it. Sam understands it and how culture is the most important thing in a club. This culture that has been developed in 2024 is a huge weapon.

As a 40-year member there is no way I would ordinarily have felt comfortable watching the goal celebrations, tall poppy syndrome and all that. But the truth is that times have changed. Kids want to express themselves more. They watch international sports stars doing it. This is the Gen Z that Jack Ginnivan leads. He has thousands of followers and this has translated into positive energy for the Hawks. Sam has allowed Jack the space to be himself, and this has caused a flow on effect to many others, especially in the forward line. In terms of impact on the club, Ginni has been the most significant trade for a long time. He is talismanic.

The rascal pack are leading a phenomenal brand of football that is not based on high end draft picks, but on personality, will and hard running. On paper, the Hawks still are the same as the Rounds 1-5 team, but with all of the Tik Tok Selfie energy, it is riding a social media wave that no other culture has been brave enough to tap into. The conservative football public are mostly afraid to express their disdain and quietly shocked, but really it is just Ginny dragging Hawthorn into the same sporting realms of the successful sports cultures that already exist around the world. Go Hawks!

I’m recalling that bucks wasn’t amenable to collingwoods rat pack, some of them leaving in fact. It didn’t go well for Bucks

As we don't have that high end draft picks what happens when the bubble bursts is this Sustainable long term?.

Who was the one that told Williams to stop doing the shot gun celebrations Hodge or Clarko, he would fit right in now, he was ahead of his time.

For me it's.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

images (12).jpeg images (10).jpeg

View attachment images (10).mp4

As we don't have that high end draft picks what happens when the bubble bursts is this Sustainable long term?.
facepalm GIF

I could comfortably say that it wouldn't have gone down well at any previous time in the club's history, even in that fallow period from 97-04. That's one reason I think it's great. And it's accompanied by a very Hawthorn-like work ethic. As long as the players keep working hard for each other, they can celebrate the results of their hard work in whatever fashion that they see fit.
The work ethic is the KEY.

The work ethic is the KEY.

Sam is of the belief that you can work hard, harder than anyone else, be tough, be ruthless for success due to having elite standards, but have blast while doing it. Players buy in, and you have that relationship which means if Sam does 'drop the hammer', players are likely to respond positively. There is also a certain aura around a side that is as dangerous as us, that seems to be playing with no fear with a smile on their face, while others are under intense pressure. It reminds me of Geelong around 07-09, and Ling and Co, used to say to the media 'We don't really get nervous bout games of Footy" etc. Our version is, "We have enjoy ourselves and get joy from playing". It takes a great leader to strike that balance, and is very much like teachers who have excellent behaviour management skills, as their classrooms are fun, engaging, humourous etc, but there are also very clear, strong boundaries of expectations and the teacher also is very strict when needing to be, and students listen because of the respect they have for their teacher. Sam doesn't have the formal education qualifications of some of our previous coaches, but seems to have a natural talent for striking that balance of culture, work ethic, standards, with having fun and enjoying the ride.

Last edited:
Do only ‘high end’ draft picks allow ‘sustainable long term’ success ?

Do you seriously think the list we have is unable to have that ?

It really is time you gave that a rest.
Your view seems to be more KID more KID more KID

We have enough KID

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back