Game Day QF.2 Port Adealide vs Geelong, Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40pm (AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the match day of our first final in 713 days, and a match in which we'll be trying in to break our Adelaide Oval finals hoodoo - those we can take positives from wining the 2 clashes we played at that venue during the season

As of 6:20pm Wendesday night, we've named an unchanged line up from the team that ran out comfortable winners over WCE in round 24, and included in the named 23 are 6 players making their AFL finals debuts - Bowes, Dempsey, O. Henry, Humphrey, Mannagh & Neale. While Tanner will be playing his first final in the Hoops, with his last final being a 35point loss to the team who's colours he now wears

We're a team with vast experience but also a good amount of youthful exuberance, and as we've seen across the season to date it's the youth that have done a lot of the lifting, and that bodes well as we head into another finals series & being able to put faith in them to handle the pressure that we know comes with finals

Port Adelaide are a team we match up pretty well with across key statistics, and while we've been a bit easier to score against this season one observation that's often come in matches in which we've been scored against heavily is how much that actually starts from the midfield - if we can find the balance in there tonight, and not allow repeated easy ball forward, it'll allow our defenders to set up behind the ball & do their best work

1725497764566.png

We know that finals will bring a different intensity, and all 23 players who take to the field will need to be at the top of their game but what comes from that is the players needed to understand & play their roles, not trying to be Superman and get the job done all on their own - truth the gurney, hit your open teammate and let your football do the talking

And let's not forget that we have yet another milestone match tonight with the long sleeves running out in game #100, at the same venue that our #44 ran out in game 150 in round 2 this year - let's replicate the result of that night, though without leaving it to last in the last to sure up the win

The count down to the opening bounce is on

POWER

B: La. Jones, B. Zerk-Thatcher, M. Bergman
HB: R. Burton, A. Aliir, L. Evans
C: J. Burgoyne, O. Wines, W. Drew
HF: D. Byrne-Jones, E. Ratugolea, W. Rioli
F: M. Georgiades, C. Dixon, C. Rozee - C
FOLL: J. Sweet, J. Horne-Francis, Z. Butters

I/C: T. Boak, Q. Narkle, J. Mead, F. Evans, J. McEntee
EMG: J. Sinn, D. Visentini, T. Marshall

IN: C. Dixon, Q. Narkle
OUT: K. Farrell (Injured), D. Visentini (Omitted)

CATS

B: L. Humphries, J. Henry, J. Kolodjashnij
HB: M. Duncan, M. Blicavs, Z. Guthrie
C: M. Holmes, T. Atkins, O. Dempsey
HF: T. Stengle, S. Neale, S. Mannagh
F: B. Close, J. Cameron, O. Henry
FOLL: R. Stanley, P. Dangerfield - C, T. Stewart

I/C: Z. Tuohy, J. Bowes, G. Miers, T. Bruhn, J. Bews
EMG: G. Rohan, O. Mullin, S. De Koning

No changes

have at it

Bews will be in the 22 and will play a negating role down back. He would have zero impact as the sub, he is no longer the line breaking, running player he was in his early years. He actually played a block of good games in the VFL in the lead up to getting his chance in the AFL side. It's Port's midfield that will decide the game. One of Butters and Horne-Francis should be tagged. Atkins could do that job at clearances but he doesn't have the running capacity to keep up around the ground. Mark O'Connor was the perfect choice for that role but he must not have fully recovered from his recent injury.

Last edited:
But that's sort of the point. We've barely used a shutdown small defender all year.

Now come finals we're either completely changing our structure for a guy who has struggled all year and was smashed last full game he played. Or we're playing a guy with no versatility as sub. Neither make sense.

Possible a horses for courses selection

I know you've suggested if Bews is to be named sub that there's other options like Rohan, Clark or Mullin, but watching the VFL on Saturday, it was pretty easy to put a line straight through Rohan & Clark (I already had a line through Clark once he wasn't being named as an emergency over the last month of the season) returning for tonight's final and I had Mullin as an option but once he was still running around in the last I put a line through him also based on them not pulling him earlier in the match

Or it could be the case that the coaches were watching the VFL on Saturday and didn't see a player on the fringe of selection (even purely the sub role), put their hand up and that's why they've opted to stick with a winning team

Recent History

Both teams have traded blows in recent history, with Geelong winning five of the last 10 games against Port Adelaide dating back to 2019.

Prior to that the Cats had well and truly controlled ascendancy in this battle, winning 14 of 15 contests against the Power between the 2007 Grand Final and round five of the 2018 season.

Across the entire AFL history between the two teams Geelong holds a 64% win rate over the Power, while also winning five of the last 10 clashes against Port at Adelaide Oval.

Ramp up the pressure and produce a tackle mafia so they can’t breathe let alone burst from stoppage.
Coach watch on the Stewart tag and opening stages of third quarter if there is a half time lapse again.
Bring chaos football and fast breaks out the back of their forward half game.
This is win time! Bust it up cats!
Hit and run military style mission! Go cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am headed in to watch this game first hand.

Mixed emotions because while I love that the kids are in a final, it feels like I'm heading in to watch an execution.
Me too. I have driven from Geelong so I am hoping for a competitive showing.

Not as confident as others, but footy is a strange game and you never know..

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Enjoy it folks!
Gonna be a ripping contest.

Cats by 5 points in a match which comes down to the wire.
Cameron goal from the boundary 50m out after the siren for a 1 point win would be delicious, id also settle for a 119 demolition job.

And else anyone going to tonight's watch party at KP?

I'm not spruiking anything, but places are still available - I just clicked through on the link via "register now" and it allowed me to book spots, just for fun I said 11 which was going to work (I did cancel the order)

Watch Party

Join us at GMHBA Stadium to watch our Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide in a member exclusive event! We’re calling on our mighty blue and white army to show your support as the team head to Adelaide Oval for our blockbuster clash.

FREE EVENT!

Thursday 5 September | Doors open at 7.10pm | Social Club, GMHBA Stadium
  • Watch the action with fellow Cats members on screens around the Social Club
  • Live entertainment
  • Food and beverage available to purchase
Spaces are limited, so register now to secure your spot!
This event will conclude 30 minutes post-game. Please note, on-site parking may be limited.

The text from the Club today says doors open at 6:30pm with entry via Gate 14

I am headed in to watch this game first hand.

Mixed emotions because while I love that the kids are in a final, it feels like I'm heading in to watch an execution.

It has been so long since we have played I have forgotten the last couple of second halves already.

Let's do them :rainbow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back