Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t disagree more. All those are best 23 in three years if everything goes perfectly. A really good midfield prospect could go past everyone other than Brayshaw, Serong and Young within three years and make us a much better side. Plus depth in inside mids is as important as just about anywhere on the field.

Get Bolton and it’s no less of a need than small forwards.
Even in 3 years, inside mid is our biggest depth piece by far, probably in the whole comp even. MJ & Erasmus both being played out of position at AFL level. Even NOD can play inside. You'd plan for the possibility of having Warner too. Even if you hate him a 26 y/o Brodie is good inside depth. We would even plan for Lucas Robinson NGA who projects to be a gun inside mid but still early obviously. If it's an inside/outside mid or an inside mid with some explosive traits and versatility, sure

What an absolute joke. He’ll sit at Peel for two years before being delisted - what a waste of everyone’s time. Get rid of him and draft a midfielder.

Cox, Pearce and McDonald missed about 50 games between them this year while Fyfe, Brayshaw, O'Meara, Serong and Young didn't miss a game this year through injury. I certainly don't hope it happens but what if our midfield mix miss 50 games between them next year? All of a sudden Brodie becomes important.

Brodie as depth is worth more over the next 2 seasons than pick 55 or whatever we'd get. Brisbane had 5 players go down with ACL's and won a flag through the depth of their list.

Could a 3 way deal be on the cards?

Freo trade 10, 11 and 18 Receive Bolton, Picks 26 and F2 from WC
Richmond trade Bolton and Baker for 10, 11 and 18 and pay 40% of Bolton's salary.
WC trade Pick 26 and F2 for Baker
I get the benefits of the deal but I don't like it. Effectively we are trading 11 to WC for 26 and F2 with Richmond compensating by paying salary. We would be better off by offering all three picks to Richmond for Bolton and taking back their 24 and F2, as that is effectively what they are agreeing to forego. Richmond can then choose to accept F2 and 26 for Baker from WC.

Once we get past trade week and focus back on the draft we will start to appreciate the value of that pick 11 in this draft if we still hold it.

I see people suggesting lots of deals to split picks but I don't think we are in this space. Like Carlton we are tight for spots and looking for a quality selection over quantity. If we don't get Bolton we are still only looking at using 3 picks in the draft due to how tight we are for list spots. Further, when you draft lots of kids the club has to pivot resources to development so adding two kids a year is ideal in my view with where we are.

I know it is starting to look like an arms race for Warner but the likelihood is he will be out of contract and will select a team. Both teams with the new rules will have sufficient capital to do the trade even if the team with the better picks doesn't get selected.

What Chad wants is the only thing that matters. This isn't the NBA. Teams can't trade a player somewhere without them agreeing to it.

What if he says just get me back to WA. People who think WC possibly having better draft picks than us next year doesn’t matter are delusional

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What if he says just get me back to WA. People who think WC possibly having better draft picks than us next year doesn’t matter are delusional

Pretty sure you are the delusional one, he would be OOC, he'll nominate and the other clubs picks won't matter.

I think the Hawks move is just basic maths.

They offered 14 and a F2 for Barrass and F3.

They showed Eagles the value of 14 by getting a F1 and F2 for it.

Even if they end up giving F1 and F2 with nothing back, they’ve landed an extra F2.
But WC haven't changed the asking price. We have to assume that WC rejected 14 and an F2. Why would their price have changed for a contracted player.

The price must be something like two firsts for WC F2 (or 26 or both), which the Hawks can still pay and WC can still demand. Only thing they have achieved is to trade out a pick that appears more valuable than an F1 and F2 from Carlton (stronger draft and chances of Carlton finishing high next year).

Why aren’t all these go home Vic boys going to Tigers or North? Oh, because they didn’t want to.

If Chad genuinely doesn’t care, then WCE are likely ahead.

If he chooses Freo. It wouldn’t matter if Eagles had picks 1,2,3 and their 3 best players wanting to go to the Swans.

This seemingly obvious point regularly gets over looked in the media.

I would hope we’ve put in the work. Chad wants to play with mates and what would hopefully be a premiership window team.

If none of that matters, then we were and will be no chance.

Even in 3 years, inside mid is our biggest depth piece by far, probably in the whole comp even. MJ & Erasmus both being played out of position at AFL level. Even NOD can play inside. You'd plan for the possibility of having Warner too. Even if you hate him a 26 y/o Brodie is good inside depth. We would even plan for Lucas Robinson NGA who projects to be a gun inside mid but still early obviously. If it's an inside/outside mid or an inside mid with some explosive traits and versatility, sure

I’ve got a very different view then because I’m looking forward three years and I expect Johnson, Erasmus and NOD to be best 22, joining Brayshaw, Serong and Young, unless we get someone like Warner. I see Simpson as around the mark but probably just outside and also just as likely to become a forward.

I don’t expect there to be any other of our current inside mids on our list in 2027.

The biggest issue with Brodie is he plays one position and one position only. He’s behind Erasmus for that one role and I’ve been starting to get the feeling the club would select NOD in that role ahead of him too. Pretty sure giving Johnson more inside mid minutes is very doable as well despite the fact he’s already in the team most weeks.

I actually think a midfielder that could play multiple roles (inside, outside, HBF, HFF etc.) would be the best possible addition to our list if we get Bolton in the door. I’d still want a small forward later in the draft or next year but I don’t see it as far ahead of our other needs at all.

I will also add I’m assuming we’ll get one of the Irish boys in the next few weeks which would drop HBF done the list of priorities I’d have for the club as well.

Last edited:
People are underrating Ollie Hannaford because of draft boards. Guarantee you some clubs would have him above Berry and he would also be in the mix for our pick at 11. His last couple months were incredible as a small forward. Even in the biggest game of the year in the GF they moved him to midfield and he was close to BOG in a losing team. Ran a 2.95 in the 20m sprint
Exactly my thought

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hate the idea of trading out of this draft. I mean there's a reason teams are lining up to buy into it.
I think it's worth noting that Victorian teams are lining up to buy into it. For an obvious reason: here's the Rookieme top 30 breakdown by state (I'm just using rookieme for convenience because they do the state-by-state breakdown, I guess you can litigate with them if you think they're wildly off the mark on any of these players). That is 24 Vics to 6 non-Vics.

Screen Shot 2024-10-13 at 1.25.32 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-10-13 at 1.25.43 pm.png

Don’t think it ever matters who has the better picks tbh.

West Coast had the better picks for Jackson but he still came to us and West Coast we’re very interested. Tim Kelly was no different, nor is Shai Bolton.

In a slightly different way Baker isn’t much different either - Pick 3 and a pick in the 20s are both a fair bit out for Baker tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got a very different view then because I’m looking forward three years and I expect Johnson, Erasmus and NOD to be best 22 unless we get someone like Warner. I see Simpson as around the mark but probably just outside and also just as likely to become a forward.

I don’t expect there to be any other of our current inside mids on our list in 2027.

The biggest issue with Brodie is he plays one position and one position only. He’s behind Erasmus for that one role and I’ve been starting to get the feeling the club would select NOD in that role ahead of him too. Pretty sure giving Johnson more inside mid minutes is very doable as well despite the fact he’s already in the team most weeks.

I actually think a midfielder that could play multiple roles (inside, outside, HBF, HFF etc.) would be the best possible addition to our list if we get Bolton in the door. I’d still want a small forward later in the draft or next year but I don’t see it as far ahead of our other needs at all.

I will also add I’m assuming we’ll get one of the Irish boys in the next few weeks which would drop HBF done the list of priorities I’d have for the club as well.

I think I'm missing something, does the bolded sentence include Bray, Serong and Young?

I think it's worth noting that Victorian teams are lining up to buy into it. For an obvious reason: here's the Rookieme top 30 breakdown by state (I'm just using rookieme for convenience because they do the state-by-state breakdown, I guess you can litigate with them if you think they're wildly off the mark on any of these players). That is 24 Vics to 6 non-Vics.

View attachment 2139795View attachment 2139796
True but Vic country kids usually hang around for the long haul.

I think I'm missing something, does the bolded sentence include Bray, Serong and Young?

Poor choice of words I guess - Besides those three and the three I mentioned in my post.

Don’t expect Fyfe, JOM or Brodie to be on the list. We’ll need to draft in the next two years to replace at least the first two. Yes that doesn’t necessarily mean first round picks but if someone is best available this year and would be a good replacement it’d be pretty poor list management to go for an inferior that only meets our needs slightly better (In the opinion of some - not me).

The reason, apart from depth, is that from next year you can trade futures 2 years so gives teams more ammo to do trades
I think the reason is also because this is indeed a very strong draft with many of the draftees playing well in state league teams (not colts or reserves).

Last edited:
Poor choice of words I guess - Besides those three and the three I mentioned in my post.

Don’t expect Fyfe, JOM or Brodie to be on the list.

Gotcha, all good. Honestly can never have enough midfield depth, as someone else mentioned our starting 4 or so mids this year didn't get a single injury between them. I'm keen for a different type in their as well if we miss Warner.

I would probably hold off one more year drafting a mid though, if we miss Warner then load up on them in the draft but I think we do need to at least wait on inside mids until that trade next year.

Why aren’t all these go home Vic boys going to Tigers or North? Oh, because they didn’t want to.

If he chooses Freo. It wouldn’t matter if Eagles had picks 1,2,3 and their 3 best players wanting to go to the Swans.

I would hope we’ve put in the work. Chad wants to play with mates and what would hopefully be a premiership window team.

If I was good I would do a Chad and Harley “aim for the bushes” photoshopped picture.

100% If Chad doesn't care which club (very doubtful he doesn't choose one) I don't think there is anyway we can compete with them on salary or draft capital regardless of what we push into 2025.

Gotcha, all good. Honestly can never have enough midfield depth, as someone else mentioned our starting 4 or so mids this year didn't get a single injury between them. I'm keen for a different type in their as well if we miss Warner.

I would probably hold off one more year drafting a mid though, if we miss Warner then load up on them in the draft but I think we do need to at least wait on inside mids until that trade next year.

I’m happy enough drafting what others consider greater needs with second rounders especially if we’re slightly reaching for one of the best mature agers in the country.

I don’t think it’s necessarily greatest need = first pick anyway. We’ve never drafted like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back