List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there’s a good chance Geelong supporters will be a bit disappointed with Smith, at least in 2025.

That’s because (a) he’s not the superstar some think he is and (b) the ACL will be a drag.
Could be wrong but I and many here rate him as a solid B+ with the potential to be an A-grader. ACL will be close to 18 months so I don’t think that’ll be an issue.

excited andy samberg GIF

Poor Baz, anybody seen his latest post?

View attachment 2145844
Yes, read it just now.

Also the farewell from Bulldogs to Bailey, where their fans vented so much anger.

Bailey’s IG post is heartfelt + honest. It occurred to me earlier the length of the trade, being unable to play footy, rehab would be very difficult for him. Just this simple post
IMG_0920.jpeg
appears to have more meaning.

I think many just thought he’d be delighted to join Geelong. Yet his farewell sounds bittersweet.

There is obviously a lot more intelligence + depth than the Bailey, people choose to see.

I had no interest in him coming to Geelong, yet over the months + from his IG, I’ve warmed to him.

Very heartened to hear Mackie embrace him + explain he will be supported + nurtured by Geelong to ease his transition.

Welcome to Geelong, Bailey. We hope you have found your home 😻

Hey Vdubs

Re: ACL's

Are they structurally stronger after the op and rehab, about the same, or weaker, as a rule?
The new ACL, made of hamstring tendon, or quads tendon, or patellar tendon, can never be stronger than the original ACL- surgeons state maybe 85% strength- but the ACL that tore was clearly not strong enough to tolerate the load or loads it was subjected to pre rupture.

After acquiring Bailey Smith, Geelong's 2024 draft order is 45, 57, 75, 93, 111, 129.

We will have to go extremely deep in the draft to fill all the spaces left in our list. I can see Geelong needing to choose 2 or 3 players after all other teams have dropped out. Not unlike last year's draft.
Or redrafting Parfitt/Rohan type players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be wrong but I and many here rate him as a solid B+ with the potential to be an A-grader. ACL will be close to 18 months so I don’t think that’ll be an issue.
I look at Bailey as a blank canvas and today is day one in the endeavour by he and the Geelong football club to create a career we can all be very proud of both on and off the field,let the journey begin.

What im going to do in the Xmas holiday break with the time to do it , is watch a full replay of the 2021 GF and im just going to watch Smiths game

Their opponent , and all Geelong supporters saw how sensational Melb were at the time , particularly their midfield Petracca Oliver , Viney Gawn and a few others in career best form and unstoppable . So i will be really intrigued as to how Smith plays in that game ( yes he was only 20 ) and how he performed in the 2nd half when the Demons Tsunami errupted . That game will give a great gauge as to how talented B Smith is , so until i watch that game i wont make any comment on his talent level

Because he is coming off an ACL i think Smith as long as he does some nice things in some games next year , and his effort is top notch , then i think he gets a pass mark . Ican remember Wojo , similar type player , his 1st year back from an ACL , his form was very patchy , inconsistent , lost a bit of confidence , however the following year it was all systems go and he was back to his brilliant best . Thus 2026 is the year to judge B Smith as a footballer
If you watch Bailey's highlights off the afl app you can just pick the game and watch the passages of play he's involved in.

His footage from that game is 16 minutes. Players with massive involvement usually run 18 minutes, low involvement 6-12 minutes.

You could watch his whole 2021 finals campaign in the time it would take you to watch his grand final

The new ACL, made of hamstring tendon, or quads tendon, or patellar tendon, can never be stronger than the original ACL- surgeons state maybe 85% strength- but the ACL that tore was clearly not strong enough to tolerate the load or loads it was subjected to pre rupture.
So how do you get more out of the repair is it done by building muscle around the tendon for support?

I was under the impression we lost 2 through retirement - Tuohy, Hawkins, and another 7 were delisted - Brandan Parfitt, Gary Rohan, Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie and Emerson Jeka. We added Smith last night and there is another Irish import. So I figured we need to find another 7 players. We had 44 players on our list last year. Are you saying we can just have a smaller list this year?

We need to have:

Senior list: 36-38 players
Rookie list: 6-8 players

We currently have 33 senior, 3 rookie. So we need to add a minimum of 3 senior, 3 rookie. The 44 player list size is the maximum.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back