AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC) - Signed to 2030 - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

So do we think he'll be a full time mid this year or will he be sent back the second Saad or McKenna miss a game?
Hopefully gets his midfield minutes that he craves but i reckon he's great in the backline. When he held eddie goaless it showed how well he can lockdown and he's also creative and efficient with his disposal. If we need extra help back there on a small id hope he's happy to go back and do the team thing. Especially when you play a Richmond with multiple smalls running around. Pigeon vs dan rioli.

Long holding onto the ball too long, sounds about right
It’s the one aspect of his game that stands out as a negative for me.

Funny thing is that spatial awareness was his Dads strongest trait - always knew exactly what was going on around him and summed it up at lightening speed.

Guess we shouldn’t expect sons to be carbon copies of Dads but it’s human nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once we get up and going, the dynamic run of Shiel, McGrath as well as Smith and Zerrett is going to be really impactful through the middle. I think we'll be better at spreading from contests than we have been in recent memory.

If McGrath can kick over 10 goals this year as well that would be a good step forward for him. I reckon that's achievable. He has good goal sense when he drifts down forward and that evasiveness is special.

Once we get up and going, the dynamic run of Shiel, McGrath as well as Smith and Zerrett is going to be really impactful through the middle. I think we'll be better at spreading from contests than we have been in recent memory.

If McGrath can kick over 10 goals this year as well that would be a good step forward for him. I reckon that's achievable. He has good goal sense when he drifts down forward and that evasiveness is special.
25 goals for A McGrath this year. And not forward's goals. Midfielder's goals.

LOVE THIS GUY. Great to see him in the middle. He will have a massive year.

25 goals for A McGrath this year. And not forward's goals. Midfielder's goals.

LOVE THIS GUY. Great to see him in the middle. He will have a massive year.

I think there was only like 3-4 guys in the entire league that average 20+ touches and a goal a game (or something like that, maybe its 25 touches). 25 goals is way optimistic and he will likely spend time in defense in some matches this year too (mostly midfield but will occasionally play back too).

So I hope you're somehow right but I reckon its bloody unlikely!

We already know he has line breaking speed and the midfield craft was always going to come with time. What impressed me was his kicking and meters gained. I've felt ,up till now, he's been a bit reluctant to kick and too quick to give a handball to player standing right next to him. Very pleased to see this improvement.

Last edited:
We already know he has line breaking speed and the midfield craft was always going to come with time. What impressed me was his kicking a meters gained. I've felt ,up till now, he's been a bit reluctant to kick and too quick to give a handball to player standing right next to him. Very pleased to see this improvement.

Good pickup. He looked like he was playing like more of a leader and taking it upon himself to be the one to get us going.

We already know he has line breaking speed and the midfield craft was always going to come with time. What impressed me was his kicking a meters gained. I've felt ,up till now, he's been a bit reluctant to kick and too quick to give a handball to player standing right next to him. Very pleased to see this improvement.

Yeah he's worked out that opposition just can't tackle him with his combination of pace and agility

The most impressive part was he was doing it from the contest. It’s not rare to see 600 metres gained for a winger or half back, he did playing from the centre and his clearances played a significant part in that metres gained stat as he ran and carried from the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back