AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Read bits and pieces, some positives but doesn't seem to be standing out too much. Personally think that's a great thing compared to other years where our first rounders have been setting standards, our team is in a much better position so it isn't as easy to burst on the scene. Also hard to get a read if he's playing on Fanta and Tippa who are primed to become one of the elite small partnerships in the comp.
Meh, a first year player commanding a senior spot day 1 is hardly a blight on the side, some blokes are just too good for the 2s. That is definitely a bonus.
But I'm certainly not going to judge a first round pick if they don't, plenty of time.

Don't think we will see him debut right away hasn't been dominating pre season.

Of course he hasn't, pre-season is about conditioning, it's a good thing he isn't, or what does it say about our other players, we want flashy moments from him though.

I still think he will, but there's a battle heating up for small defender roles between Gleeson, Bags, Kelly, McGrath, Dea, Stanton, Goddard, McKenna, j.Merrett. Maybe some others I've forgotten. So if he doesn't I will not be too upset.

The other thing that makes it really hard for everyone to say he's gonna play round one is trying to squeeze him in around the returning blokes as well as the likes of dea, tippa, fantasia, parish, Hartley etc who all impressed last year.

Actually looking forward to the preseason games to get some sort of gauge on wtf we are going to play/set up like with a full contingent of players.

Ordinarily this all makes sense but wasn't one of the reasons we chose McGrath over the others because people thought he was ready to hit the ground running?
Ordinarily the top pick doesn't get drafted into a finals contender.

I don't think there's any draft pick that would just walk into this lineup now that we have 10 senior players returning but McGrath truly was one of the most likely to do so.

Ordinarily this all makes sense but wasn't one of the reasons we chose McGrath over the others because people thought he was ready to hit the ground running?

He is but others can run faster... figuratively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him being ready is a by product of the actual reasons we drafted him

True, I still think he will play from round 1. The modern game requires his type, hence the draft pick.
I can't wait to see the ball go from him in the backline, to Colyer on the wing, to Fantasia on the forward flank. Absolute lightning.

True, I still think he will play from round 1. The modern game requires his type, hence the draft pick.
I can't wait to see the ball go from him in the backline, to Colyer on the wing, to Fantasia on the forward flank. Absolute lightning.
Put Tippa somewhere in that chain!

We're going to have a very quick side.

No need to rush him in just because he's number 1 pick.

If he's good to go round 1 it's because he has earned it and impressed enough for the coaches to believe he's ready.

If he's good to go round 1 it's because he has earned it and impressed enough for the coaches to believe he's ready.

GTFO!

We've been more than patient with this kid. Round 1 or delist is the only decision the club has to make.

How is he meant to win the coleman, bnf and brownlow to keep us fans happy then?!? Anything else and he's a bust.

Let's not forget the Norm Smith :p

Norm smith is THE MEDAL. The other ones are solely individual awards. The Norm Smith is an individual award but it also means you've had team success. Which is we as supporters really want, it's been too long.

To be honest all this depth talk is all well and good but lets see how many fit and available players we actually have coming into round 1. I reckon they'll squeeze him in for sure.

Norm smith is THE MEDAL. The other ones are solely individual awards. The Norm Smith is an individual award but it also means you've had team success. Which is we as supporters really want, it's been too long.
B&F in a premiership year is THE medal.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back