#1 Draft picks and their success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by masai

Having been taken in the three figures (100+), you obviously didn't see Dean Kemp play much.

Having said that, James aint to bad either.

No i just think Hird at 79 is better than Kemo at 118, just my opinion, both were obviously good picks at the time.

I might bre wrong but I think when Kem, Heady etc... were drafted Victorian teams were only allowed to draft 1 WA player per year (or thats what I have heard).

If true then it explains why WC got so many bargin basement stars.

Kemp was a very good player though.

Originally posted by TDLLO
You must be a talented lot, you Melbourne supporters. Good to see you know exactly what's going on in your player's heads. I hope you pass this info on to your coaching staff. You may be able to stop next years trend and therefore the usual decline that follows a season where finals are experienced.

His head was always right, it just didn't show till Wiz left.

Then again, I don't give a rat's ass what you think.

Johnstone 4 browlow

I am a mad demons supporter and i can gladley say that i think travis johnstone will be the best number 1 draft pick. Since he has only had 1 full pre season in his short career and got 16 votes in the browlow i think that must tell you something i think in future Johnstone will be in the class of a Buckley or simon black and will win at least 1 brownlow if not two.

:cool:

Re: Johnstone 4 browlow

Originally posted by dees 4 life
I am a mad demons supporter and i can gladley say that i think travis johnstone will be the best number 1 draft pick. Since he has only had 1 full pre season in his short career and got 16 votes in the browlow i think that must tell you something i think in future Johnstone will be in the class of a Buckley or simon black and will win at least 1 brownlow if not two.

:cool:
But he's not overrated...........?

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell
Melbourne supporters know that his head is right...

There's only one thing in Travis' head and thats the green stuff... not that theres anything wrong with that, it'll only make him stronger... Travis for the Brownlow 03, 04, 05 :D

Re: Re: Johnstone 4 browlow

Originally posted by Porthos
But he's not overrated...........?

TJ was regarded as the best number one pick to come through the national draft in years. He was never over-rated, he was just continually injured. For alot of that time he just relied on his skill and didn't put in the work, hence him not living up to expectations.

However, we always knew of his abilities, and as you saw this year, he is becoming the player he always promised. I don't think he is over-rated at all Porthos. You might in face under-rate him.

Re: Re: Re: Johnstone 4 browlow

However, we always knew of his abilities, and as you saw this year, he is becoming the player he always promised. I don't think he is over-rated at all Porthos. You might in face under-rate him.
The fact that he is becoming, and still is becoming is the likely source of his overrating. If he was a #36 pick, I doubt there'd be half as much hype over a guy that only played his first good season this year.

Read through this thread, substitute the name Travis Johnstone for another player of similar quality & circumstances and think about it.

Whether Headland is overrated or not is subject to opinion but I will be more than happy if he is in the Top 10 of the Brownlow for the remainder of his career.

As far as low picked, bargain basement talent Big Beau McDonald springs to mind.

Taken at No.73 in the 1997 National Draft, he's been an absolute steal for us, rucking out a season in Crackers absence through long term injury, using that to his advantage he worked hard as hell and is now stiff competition for #1 ruck and has two premiership medallions to his name. Can only get better with time and alongside Jamie has our long term future in the ruck looking very bright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by BrisGirl
How many #1 draft picks have failed to make the big time?

Can anyone answer this one?

The ones that never lived up to their expectations, and I actually mean, the #1 pick.

I recall Peter Matera and Dean Kemp being in the high 70"s - but that was in the old days when the Eagles used to hide their potential players!

Originally posted by hotpie
I recall Peter Matera and Dean Kemp being in the high 70"s - but that was in the old days when the Eagles used to hide their potential players!

Peter Matera was drafted at #4. Kemp was #118 (as has been mentioned before in this thread).

God I love watching people say how TJ is over-rated, how his head aint right, how we made a mistake in picking him before Ottens, Croad, Tarrant etc.

Fact - he had twice the year the other three did.
You may be right but it's the first year he has out performed any of that lot. In other words in every other year the 3 you mentioned were better perfomed than Johnston. If that is your criteria re 2002 then he is the 4 best from that draft at best. That is why he is over rated. That is not say he will not be good but he is rated higher than his performances over his career warrant. The others also are not "mere" midfielders. Good key postion players are much harder to find. The next few season may see Johnston met expectations - MAY.

You may be right but it's the first year he has out performed any of that lot. In other words in every other year the 3 you mentioned were better perfomed than Johnston. If that is your criteria re 2002 then he is the 4 best from that draft at best. That is why he is over rated. That is not say he will not be good but he is rated higher than his performances over his career warrant. The others also are not "mere" midfielders. Good key postion players are much harder to find. The next few season may see Johnston met expectations - MAY.

You have to remember that TJ was injured for his first couple of seasons and last season was his first without injury and he played better than the Croad,ottens and tarrent I think you will find TJ will be better that those 3 in years to come.

And the point continues to be made..

Originally posted by Porthos
For what its worth, both Johnstone and Headland are still overrated.

Agreed. While they have undoubtely played good footy this year, the key word id THIS YEAR. A sign of a good player/team is their consistency, so if both can repeat their 2002 form in 2003, then it will go some way to them being not overated.

Number 1 picks over the years
1986 - Martin Leslie (reasonable)
1987 - Richard Lounder (Dud)
1988 - Alex McDonald (Dud)
1989 - Anthony Banik (Dud)
1990 - Stephen Hooper (Dud)
1991 - John Hutton (Dud)
1992 - Drew Banfield (Very good - best so far)
1993 - Darren Gasper (Reasonable to good. I know that Rich people will argue otherwise)
1994 - Jeff White (Very good)
1995 - Clive Waterhouse (Dud)
1996 - Michael Gardiner (Very good)
1997 - Travis Johnstone (Getting better)
1998 - Des Headland (Potential star)
1999 - Josh Fraser (Potential star)
2000 - Nick Riewoldt (Superstar)
2001 - Luke Hodge (Very good)

So the best IMO is Riewoldt.

Bargains

1988 - Chris Grant (105)
1989 - Ashley McIntosh (112)
1989 - Brett Heady (92)
1990 - James Hird (79)
1993 - David King (46) :D
1994 - Jade Rawlings (94)
1994 - Aaron Hamill (79)
1995 - Brent Harvey (47)
1996 - Brad Scott (85)
1996 - Byron Pickett (67)

Plus others. Apologies to any I have missed...

Apart from Waterhouse, the clubs seem to get it right from White onwards.

I would add the 2 CFC premiership rovers, Russell and Francis, as bargains also. Taken lowish I believe.

Still an element of raffle about it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

#1 Draft picks and their success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back