Opinion 1 era ends, but the new has begun: or the sweet relief of finally getting O'Meara after all that

Remove this Banner Ad

If that happens which I highly doubt then we are screwed. Would be seen as the worst trade period by a club ever if we don't land JOM.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Not really we get Rockliff for cheap and then use pick 10 in the draft or have a crack at Jack Riewoldt.

All part of the plan ;)

Have faith people. I'm sure the club know what they are doing, well I'm confident they do. Ye it's a bold, surprising etc move. But let's see what comes of it. I bet in 12mths time we will sit back and think what a club, they knew what they were doing and all the panic and whinging was a major over reaction. Let the uneducated flog media and everyone else think that it's all coming apart at the seems, we'll see what the outcome is and have the final laugh!!

The Hawks moves have also answered the question: "how do you give young players games when we have 5 players over 30 who are automatic selections in the team?".
It would be so difficult to see any of our veterans fronting up at Box Hill every week.

I hate the thought of Lewis and Mitchell playing elsewhere, but this move allows us to allow our youngsters to play, if they're good enough.

What are these 'earlier' picks you speak of? Are they next years, because they aren't this years.

Simply from an outside perspective it seems like it's all been maybe a bridge too far and no wonder so many people are upset. Rightly so. The thing about trading away the heart and soul of a club, it can hurt you for years. It happened at Essendon after 2001 as an example. I hope it doesn't shank you like it shanked us.

Shank us? As in Collingwood?

We have Buckley as a coach, we're already shanked.

Clarkson has built a team where everyone plays a role. We are pretty calculated about who we bring in and for what purpose. Players are paid on what we can afford at the time when they signed a contract. Sometimes to bring in players from the outside we have to pay and trade more than what we would have liked to get that balance. That's just the way it is. If they wanted more money they could have left and that's ok too. They wanted Premiership success and got plenty of it. Now we don't know the exact figures of what they left on the table (some may have gotten full value) but they still got paid very well.

Hasnt been to many times in my life where the Hawks bottomed out but it sucked and Clarko and co are trying to not let that happen. Tough decisions need to be made. The guy brought us 4 flags since 2008 so he gets the benefit of the doubt.
Only have to look at Brisbane to see what not to do after a successful era win a 3peat lose badly having a crack at #4 but then no acknowledgement that the era is over so spend the next 5 years patting yourself on the back like a kid with a favorite toy not noticing the batteries are dying .That's what we are trying to avoid never to rest on your laurels .I would say this year that the Saints and the blues games in Tassie gave us a true indication of where we were at in 2016 and the 2 finals in particular the doggies game was an inevitable outcome .I think the only reason we didn't lose to saints and blues was partly good luck but a mental barrier in those teams actually believing they could beat us . Against the dogs was the true eye opener Mitch used to make the game stand still Pendlebury style but he looked slow and Lewis looked like he didn't belong in the AFL anymore he was that slow. I applaud what the club is doing it's needed whether we get JOM or not if we don't we will go after our next target its great to be the champs but it's also exciting when you rebuild.If we did nothing at this years trade period after the way we finished the season I would've been more pissed off .

Goes without saying, but Hawks are taking a massive roll of the dice here for a number of reasons:
  1. The most obvious, if the Jaeger deal falls through, we have to play through 2017 with a massively depleted midfield, and no 1st round draft pick at the end of the tunnel.
  2. If the JOM deal happens and his knee goes, see above.
  3. Having such clear public targets from so early - Vickery, Mitchell, JOM - is not the way the Hawks usually do business in trade period, and has meant that clubs have really been able to play hardball with us. Especially Gold Coast who are being absolute punishers.
  4. We've traded out Hill already. If as mooted, Hartung moves to Brisbane or GC for JOM, we have no one left on the list to provide outside run aside from Smith. We saw in finals the success that Footscray and GWS had with their overlapping midfield run. Clarko better have a bright idea to overcome this without any pace on our list, otherwise we're stuffed.
  5. How much of a mental effect will dealing out our veterans like this have on the rest of the playing list? Mitch wanted to go but Lewis clearly feels the club could have handled it better. I'm sure the rest of the list all understands that AFL footy is a business first, but it can't be good for the list to see club champions treated like that.
  6. Further on that, what about the other players whose names were publicly raised, but may stay at the club - Bruest, Hartung, Whitecross etc?
  7. And one more in the same vein - a lot of players have taken a lot less than they're worth to keep this list together. How will the players react to JOM walking in on 700k, T. Mitch getting 500k and such. Again, they're professionals, but it's gotta be tough to swallow.
Like folks have said, it's either a stroke of genius, or we've just Brooklyn Nets-ed ourselves.

The Bombers are a great example of why you should never get too worried about the odd decision your club makes that you might not agree with .The club was put on hold for 2K16 with no chance and no hope because their players put drugs in their guts ,but they're back in with a chance might even get JOM instead of us good clubs always come back and over the last 50 years we've proved we're the best .

or we've just Brooklyn Nets-ed ourselves.
Nah defo not that bad.

We can suck someone in for a first round pick, and haven't traded all our future first rounders like we did with Pierce and Garnett.

Nets are ridic...that was the worst thing ever. SHould have offloaded Lopez 2 years ago and got back in the draft

Nah defo not that bad.

We can suck someone in for a first round pick, and haven't traded all our future first rounders like we did with Pierce and Garnett.

Nets are ridic...that was the worst thing ever. SHould have offloaded Lopez 2 years ago and got back in the draft
Yeah using the Nets example was definitely exaggeration. Those trades have destroyed the franchise for a decade or more. Not even Freo have ever done business that badly.

Yeah using the Nets example was definitely exaggeration. Those trades have destroyed the franchise for a decade or more. Not even Freo have ever done business that badly.
Thank **** we can't get in that position that Brooklyn are in. Will finish rock bottom last and gift Boston pick 1.

bloody imagine if we did this in the AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah defo not that bad.

Do they play the triangle, the triangle is where it's at.;)

Pretty excited to see all this money available in the salary cap so we can bring in once in a generation players like Tyrone Vickery.

Haha. Vickery will be good for us. We definetly need a tall up forward that can kick a goal. Big Boy will need a chop out in the ruck too.

could it be possible Hawthorn is clearing enough salary cap to make a play for O'Meara to go to the pre season draft. EG, ensure we have enough to offer such that no other club would have the cap space to top our offer? I suspect we would only do this if GC refuse to deal realistically, but if we don't get O'Meara, this draft will be a disaster.
Is it an option?

Bingo.

Really, why don't we just get O'Meara to nominate for the ND and use pick 10 on him. Would another could take the punt on him in the ND?? Interesting to see really.

It's an option for sure. Not sure 14 would have been a big threat for the ND. it's not bad work getting Mitchell for 14 when apparently GC weren't real happy with us trading our first rounder which they saw as being part of the deal, only to come back a few days later with pick 10 and asking how do you like me now?

I know it's probably been said a million times this past week by Hawthorn supporters on here but I think people need to get over this supposed ‘romantic’ nature of the AFL of holding onto older players until they retire, it 100% holds clubs back and is so old-fashioned is gives me a headache.

We've seen time and time again the club, not just Clarko, looking at other sports as to how to improve ourselves whether it be how the club is run or something like our game plan which was heavily influenced from soccer. Moving Mitchell and Lewis on is bringing NFL thinking into the AFL. I strongly believe that the club and Clarko have looked towards Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots of how to emulate sustained success in a league with a salary cap and draft - the Patriots have made 6 superbowls, winning 4, since Belichick took over and only missed the playoffs twice in 16 years. The AFL is entering the era of free agency now so you’ll start to see a lot of NFL/NBA type trades with clubs no longer needing to go to the draft in order to be successful. Moving Mitchell and Lewis on is just the beginning, a lot of lists will gear towards trading for players and creating salary cap room to get free agents at their peak, Hawthorn is just the first to do it in the AFL.

People are reacting before the dust has even settled. If we swap Sam for Tom and Lewis for JOM, then that's definitely not a bad thing and it shows you that the club is forward-thinking.

What is going on?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a/news-story/f60a8b6562369c52b742918c308bfb9b

['
The Bombers could snare O’Meara in the pre-season draft for nothing, but they are considering tabling a package which would include next year’s first-round selection and two second-round picks to blow the Hawks out of the water.

The sting is the Essendon offer is similar to the deal Hawthorn last week made for St Kilda’s pick 10, which the Herald Sun learnt would have strongly tempted the Suns if the Hawks had made the same deal to them.']

Why did we get screwed for pick 10, when not only will it not get the O'Meara deal done, but the original picks could have got it done?

Now we are giving away Lewis, just like we gave away Mitchell.

Absolute disaster.

I don't buy the salary cap relief argument. That only helps us this year.
We would have at least 3 players retire next year anyway that would have given salary cap relief.

Perhaps Fagan is a bigger loss than first thought.

Even if we get O'meara, I can't see this trade period as anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

Edit:
In a complex third-party deal still being finalised:

- Gold Coast would give up picks No.22 and No.30 and receive Hanley and a late pick.

Why wouldn't we trade our two second round picks to Brisbane for Hanley, and package that up with the 2017 first rounder, instead of getting pick 10?

Last edited:
I don't buy the salary cap relief argument. That only helps us this year.
We would have at least 3 players retire next year anyway that would have given salary cap relief.

Totally agree with this. The story about us freeing up cap space for a crack at Fyfe in 2017 seems like the club doing a bit of damage control to me - Mitchell was on a 1 year deal anyway, Lewis was a veteran, so it's not like we've just saved ourselves millions.

On the whole if the O'Meara deal gets done, then despite everything else, trade period is a success as the club landed the targets they were aiming for. If it falls through, which seems likely given the latest reports, then from my couch it seems like a massive balls up.

The juxtaposition of the previous two posts with the one before them is poetic.

Really, why don't we just get O'Meara to nominate for the ND and use pick 10 on him. Would another could take the punt on him in the ND?? Interesting to see really.
This would be ideal, however I think there's a set salary for first round draft picks set by the players' Collective Bargaining Agreement. Not sure if it's just a mandatory minimum, but if not I don't think there's any chance of O'Meara copping $100k a year for us when he could be getting $700k at the Bombers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 1 era ends, but the new has begun: or the sweet relief of finally getting O'Meara after all that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back