Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
He still has 18 months to run on his current contract. With the rich run of form he's in it just makes business sense for him to ensure that his performances are being factored into the negotiations even if his intention is to ultimately stay. If he still has not signed late into 2025 then there's a solid chance he's going. Even so I wouldn't be too concerned if he keeps this form up because it'll maximise our chances of winning the 2024 and 2025 premierships.

Having said that if Freo / WC do come with a godfather offer, hypothetically, $14m over 8 years. I'm comfortable with the club letting Chad go instead of trying to compete with it. Chad's a rare talent, but he operates in a system that allows him to play to his strengths and be the superstar he currently is, we can't replace Chad but we can replace his role and maintain the same structure more or less.

If you want to build a premiership team, avoiding overpaying for individuals is crucial. If anything you need as many players overperforming their contract prices as possible.
100% ✅

He still has 18 months to run on his current contract. With the rich run of form he's in it just makes business sense for him to ensure that his performances are being factored into the negotiations even if his intention is to ultimately stay. If he still has not signed late into 2025 then there's a solid chance he's going. Even so I wouldn't be too concerned if he keeps this form up because it'll maximise our chances of winning the 2024 and 2025 premierships.

Having said that if Freo / WC do come with a godfather offer, hypothetically, $14m over 8 years. I'm comfortable with the club letting Chad go instead of trying to compete with it. Chad's a rare talent, but he operates in a system that allows him to play to his strengths and be the superstar he currently is, we can't replace Chad but we can replace his role and maintain the same structure more or less.

If you want to build a premiership team, avoiding overpaying for individuals is crucial. If anything you need as many players overperforming their contract prices as possible.
Good post. I def agree for Chad he’s absolutely doing the right thing for himself. From a selfish club supporter you wish that if he’s leaving we can get a haul but if we don’t know until 2025 then we take what we are given. Hopefully that means flags because he’s dominating.

Now Chad. See this thing, it’s called a pen. You pick up the pen, press your fingers and grip the pointy end.
Someone gives you a piece of paper, with lots of zeroes on it. You find the line next to your typed name. You take the pen that you are holding, press firmly and sign your name.

Any confusion, please ask your mate from WA on what to do.

I like fast signings.

Now Chad. See this thing, it’s called a pen. You pick up the pen, press your fingers and grip the pointy end.
Someone gives you a piece of paper, with lots of zeroes on it. You find the line next to your typed name. You take the pen that you are holding, press firmly and sign your name.

Any confusion, please ask your mate from WA on what to do.

I like fast signings.
relax

a part of me feels extremely uncomfortable with clubs being allowed to tap contracted players. I know it's normal in most sports around the world, but i just don't like it

yeah, but it is just the business of it ... i understand that it does feel uncomfortable but i think i'd prefer that, so everyone knows where they stand ... other than weeks, months of guessing games like we'll be having into next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2032404This was in regards to a trade for Chad...Freo fans are delusional if they think that would be anywhere near enough.

Has to be a similar haul to the Judd trade.
Lets offer our first round pick and Sheldrick for Serong. Seems like overs if they feel this is enough for Warner

we'll take 11, 14 and 25 and serong
we'll give warner, sheldrick and our first round

who says no?
Had to think for a moment but not quite. Serong is more limited as a player but would nicely replace Sheldrick as an upgrade. Essentially we would be giving up Warner for 11 and 14 and Sheldrick for 25, getting Serong for 18. Close but no cigar.

we'll take 11, 14 and 25 and serong
we'll give warner, sheldrick and our first round

who says no?
Why? Just keep Warner. Between him, Heeney, Mills, Rowbottom, Gulden and Grundy our midfield is set for 3 years.

Fingers crossed Green comes along during that time and we roll from Grundy into Green.

Our key forwards develop during that time, so we just need to ensure our defence keeps improving.

The list is in such a strong position

Why? Just keep Warner. Between him, Heeney, Mills, Rowbottom, Gulden and Grundy our midfield is set for 3 years.

Fingers crossed Green comes along during that time and we roll from Grundy into Green.

Our key forwards develop during that time, so we just need to ensure our defence keeps improving.

The list is in such a strong position
more of a hypothetical if we win the flag and he says he wants to go

I haven't really commented on the Warner situation because to me, hysteria over his contract in 2024 is exactly what the club would've wanted to avoid when they signed him to 2025, and it's also exactly what the interested clubs want to happen. Drum up debate and discussion, make the trade noise so loud it becomes engrained in the player's mind. I have spoken before about the symbiotic relationship between player agents and the footy media. It's disappointing they're getting their way.

All I will say is that I think he needs us more than we need him, and I think he would know that.

View attachment 2032404This was in regards to a trade for Chad...Freo fans are delusional if they think that would be anywhere near enough.

Has to be a similar haul to the Judd trade.

And hypothetical those pointless picks will be pushed back further? for a team in our position we would want a player or two.

OOC and nominates Freo in 2025? thats probably close to what we will get :/

I haven't really commented on the Warner situation because to me, hysteria over his contract in 2024 is exactly what the club would've wanted to avoid when they signed him to 2025, and it's also exactly what the interested clubs want to happen. Drum up debate and discussion, make the trade noise so loud it becomes engrained in the player's mind. I have spoken before about the symbiotic relationship between player agents and the footy media. It's disappointing they're getting their way.

All I will say is that I think he needs us more than we need him, and I think he would know that.
This.

He loves his footy now.

Going to West Coast or Freo, he won't have the support play needed to ENABLE him.

He knows that.

I think he wants to achieve something vs maximise dollars. He can do both at Sydney at slightly less. Money is not everything. Chad looks like a driven player. Driven players strive for success. They know where they need to be to achieve that success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back