Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing by a point just pisses me off, almost better they win by way 10-15

It would have been easier to accept. They had our measure all game and we didn’t lead once. It felt like they deserved to win by at least a couple of goals. That would have been a real warning sign for our players to wake the hell up. Losing by a point papers over the cracks to a certain extent as it allows us to put it down to bad luck and McDonald’s misskick after the siren. In reality, we should never have been that close.

Where the doubt comes in for me is that we were comprehensively outplayed from the first bounce and at no stage looked like a champion team. It would be easier to accept if they went on a freak late run of 5 or 6 goals to snatch the win from under our noses. The fact they were in control for pretty much the entire game at the SCG is concerning.

Nonetheless, 18-5 would be a solid return for the season. Anything less would have to be seen as a failure. Even 18-5 would be slightly disappointing after going 13-1, but first is first. 19-4 would be better. 20-3 or 21-2 would be dreamland.

It would have been easier to accept. They had our measure all game and we didn’t lead once. It felt like they deserved to win by at least a couple of goals. That would have been a real warning sign for our players to wake the hell up. Losing by a point papers over the cracks to a certain extent as it allows us to put it down to bad luck and McDonald’s misskick after the siren. In reality, we should never have been that close.

Where the doubt comes in for me is that we were comprehensively outplayed from the first bounce and at no stage looked like a champion team. It would be easier to accept if they went on a freak late run of 5 or 6 goals to snatch the win from under our noses. The fact they were in control for pretty much the entire game at the SCG is concerning. It was just a pissweak performance by us.

But yeah, 18-5 would be a solid return. Anything less would have to be seen as a failure. Even 18-5 would be slightly disappointing after going 13-1, but first is first. 19-4 would be better. 20-3 or 21-2 would be dreamland.

Yeah if you said we were 13-2 after 15 games I would have taken that any time. Just lost 2 I wouldn't have guessed rightly or wrongly

Oh and we ****en sulk about the umpires, for sure, but the players did just as much today, Gulden stayed down waiting for a free at one stage, play the whistle, whinge later
Yep!
I saw a lot of entitled unprofessional stuff that says to me, Carlton, Collingwood & Freo stand in front of us as favourites to win the flag. We are still behind these 3 teams when & where it will matter & that is with professionalism on the MCG.

We blew the Carlton final much the the same way.

They kicked the first two goals of the match, then we settled but didn't score accurately enough, then Carlton took their opportunities & we found ourselves some 30 points down, only to knuckle down & try to win it in the last quarter.
Lose by 6 points.

Unprofessional to assume it can be done in anything less than 4 good quarters of footy.
What we have tempted fate with in the last handful of games is to to go bang, bang, bang with 5 unanswered goals & think that is the sign of a great team. I see it as one of a team that is full of themselves so much, that they think their "brilliance" will win 3 or 4 finals in a row to become premiers.

We will win 1 final max IMO unless we sort out our shit.
Last week against GWS we again got to 54 points or so up.
Let them back to within 20 & then we got our act together to win by 27.

I don't see premiership players in this lot yet.
I see Harlem Globetrotters.

The loss yesterday is a good opportunity for us to take stock and reset for the back end of the season. There is no doubt that we have performed exceptionally well and that our best is better than what can be produced by any other team in the competition. However, there are 2 very related weaknesses that have become apparent:

1) Stopping the opposition when they get momentum:
I feel like in most games, the opposition has got on a run and kicked a stack of goals on us before we know it. It seems like we lack an ability to reset on the run and it's taken an end of term break and a chat by Horse to sort the particular issue(s) out. I get the sense we lack a dominant on field leader at present. Hopefully the return of Mills will sort this out, especially with his experience of being on the bench for the first half of the season. Mills will also help defensively as he is expert at dropping into the leading lanes of the opposition forwards. The Freo forwards exposed us on the lead time and time again in the first half.

2) Slow starts:
We can't continue giving up 5 goal starts. In a big final at the MCG, especially against a Vic based side, it will be tough to arrest the wave of momentum and emotion that our opposition will ride. This starts with our midfield who need to show some hardness and a willingness to get down and dirty from the first bounce. I wouldn't mind seeing Adams and / or Parker inside for the opening exchanges to weather that initial storm especially given we have shown we can cut apart teams in the 2nd and 3rd. Having Heeney or Chad out of the forward line at times will give the opposition something to think about given the on ball tag both are going to attract.

Yep!
I saw a lot of entitled unprofessional stuff that says to me, Carlton, Collingwood & Freo stand in front of us as favourites to win the flag. We are still behind these 3 teams when & where it will matter & that is with professionalism on the MCG.

They kicked the first two goals of the match, then we settled but didn't score accurately enough, then Carlton took their opportunities & we found ourselves some 30 points down, only to knuckle down & try to win it in the last quarter.
Lose by 6 points.

Unprofessional to assume it can be done in anything less than 4 good quarters of footy.
What we have tempted fate with in the last handful of games is to to go bang, bang, bang with 5 unanswered goals & think that is the sign of a great team. I see it as one of a team that is full of themselves so much, that they think their "brilliance" will win 3 or 4 finals in a row to become premiers.

I wouldn't go that far, I mean the pies carry on like entitled w***ers every week, to a point you need that edge.

But at times we go too far as do other clubs.

I don't recall any game until yesterday where gave the opposition so much space . Maybe West coast?

We just didn't work hard.
Zoned off, took the easier option too often until the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep!

Lose by 6 points.

lmfao

I thought it was just a Buddy fixation but guess not.

PS. Heeney is looking more and more banged up (heavy fall on his shoulder again today) … definitely think he needs to be given a week off soon
Yep but he won't be. Same story every season and people are still critical of his output.

Heeney was just beaten , the midfield got a bath most of the game.
I think there's more to it than that. We weren't just beaten but we were comprehensively beaten. I think Heeney carrying an injury explains this somewhat. Either that or freo are just better than us overall and I just don't believe it.

Freo pumped us out of the middle but we got them on the rebound. Indicates to me Heeney is underdone.

I think there's more to it than that. We weren't just beaten but we were comprehensively beaten. I think Heeney carrying an injury explains this somewhat. Either that or freo are just better than us overall and I just don't believe it.

Freo pumped us out of the middle but we got them on the rebound. Indicates to me Heeney is underdone.

Heeney is always carrying an injury when he has a down game though, love the bloke but he is just going to be down occasionally. If he is sore please just rest him, he is too important to risk, if he is not that's fine, his worst game was still solid.

We just seemed to be outworked, always more Dockers around the ball, dockers in space, how many on their own especially early.

Heeney is always carrying an injury when he has a down game though, love the bloke but he is just going to be down occasionally.

We just seemed to be outworked, always more Dockers around the ball, dockers in space, how many on their own especially early.
No he's always carrying a injury because his body isn't up to playing a full season but we always run him into the ground. Rest him and give Parker a run, it's not like we don't have depth.

No he's always carrying a injury because his body isn't up to playing a full season but we always run him into the ground. Rest him and give Parker a run, it's not like we don't have depth.

He has barely missed a game , so basically you are saying the club play him injured a lot, which is a concern.

Either way managing him is fine by me , even if he is just sore, can't hurt to rest him.

Parker isn't available though so it won't be for him.

If we are going to rest Heeney it should be one of the next two

In terms of player ratings, Heeney, Gulden and Grundy all had their WORST game of the season against Freo.

Got belted in the mids.

Some contentious goals from umpiring and we still had more scoring shots, just couldn't convert whilst freo went at 15-9.

Only lost by one point, and could have drawn or won after the siren.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

He has barely missed a game , so basically you are saying the club play him injured a lot, which is a concern.

Either way managing him is fine by me , even if he is just sore, can't hurt to rest him.

Parker isn't available though so it won't be for him.

If we are going to rest Heeney it should be one of the next two

I thought that was pretty clearly what I was saying haha. It happens every year.

Parker is available against North. Rest Heeney then.

I thought that was pretty clearly what I was saying haha. It happens every year.

Parker is available in a week or two isn't he?

Yeah but that's a fair indictment on the club. I'd like to think they don't do it beyond general soreness.

Parker is 2 weeks away isn't he? Lions game first possible? Just me but if resting Heeney rather do it against Saints or North.

- edit yeah North, though could just put Mills for North and rest Heeney.

Be interesting if we rest anyone .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back