Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed but if pick 14 goes to GC then we don't stand a chance of getting Clarke.

That is probably true.

I'd like to suggest a player swap, but doubt we have any that we would consider "expendable" that would meet their expectations for Clarke.

From another thread, these are the rucks currently on AFL lists.

Green = best 22

Ready: Jacobs
Project: Dowdell
Ready: Leuenberger, Hudson, Longer
Ready: Warnock, Hampson, Kreuzer
Ready: Jolly, Wood
Project: Witts, Ceglar
Ready: Ryder, Bellchambers, Hille
Ready: Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke
Ready: West, Simpson, Vardy, Stephenson
Ready: Smith
Project: Hickey, Gorringe, Nicholls
Ready: Giles, Brogan
Project: Phillips
Ready: Hale, Bailey, McCauley, Pattison
Project: Lowden, Grimley
Ready: Jamar, Spencer, Clark, Martin (latter two are pinch hitters but very capable as #1)
Project: Gawn
Ready: Goldstein, McIntosh
Project: Daw, Mabon (difficult because they're both probably project pinch hitters)
Ready: Renouf, Lobbe, Redden
Ready: Maric, Graham, Derrickx
Ready: McEvoy, Stanley (more of a pinch hitter but he's all they have)
Project: Lever
Ready: Mumford, Pyke, Seaby (delisted)
Ready: Naitanui, Cox
Project: Lycett
Ready:Minson, Campbell, Cordy, Roughead (again, those last two are playing as KPPs but they're probably best used as ruckmen)

If Geelong get McIntosh, they'll probably release Stephenson. He'd be a half decent short term option.

A guy like Currie is more risk and reward. He's untried so he could be useless as a backup but he could also surprise.
Thanks Daz.

Whats the deal with Currie?

Apart from Clarke who would cost too much in my opinion (although if Hansen goes.....) I would target Martin quite like him and in my opinion can play no.1 ruck admirably at least in the short term. I would also consider rookie listing Seaby or Currie as insurance.

Thought the point was that he'd be playing backup to Goldy? Would be a great fit IMO.
I guess the point is that we need someone on our list who is capable of filling the number 1 void if Goldy goes down while still maintaining the optimal forward line set up. Martin isn't a bad option for this. 199cm, athletic enough to create a contest in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need someone who is told from the outset, 'you are playing VFL unless Goldy gets hurt'.

Not sure there are many who would like that to be honest.
Good point TPA. Although I am sure there would be a number of capable ruckmen in the state leagues who would love the opportunity to be on an AFL list.

Thanks Daz.

Whats the deal with Currie?

Can't say I've seen his SANFL form this year but I know that for the 4 years prior to that he was on Sydney's list without getting a senior game. He had a lot of injuries. Supposedly he's been the leading SANFL ruckman. You'd be picking him in the hope that he'd do a Jon Giles.

Need someone who is told from the outset, 'you are playing VFL unless Goldy gets hurt'.

Not sure there are many who would like that to be honest.

I actually don't think Martin would play reserves. He is the bustling pack crusher that we need. Utility who can play first Ruck but get forward and back to break some packs apart. To me he not only fills a Ruck role but also a team role that is currently vacant.

Can't say I've seen his SANFL form this year but I know that for the 4 years prior to that he was on Sydney's list without getting a senior game. He had a lot of injuries. Supposedly he's been the leading SANFL ruckman. You'd be picking him in the hope that he'd do a Jon Giles.
Who does he play for?

I actually don't think Martin would play reserves. He is the bustling pack crusher that we need. Utility who can play first Ruck but get forward and back to break some packs apart. To me he not only fills a Ruck role but also a team role that is currently vacant.

Even more so if the Hansen talk is true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back