Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No room for slow cripple ruckman in finals....

Must make way so Thommo can play off the bench...

Will leave All Australian Drew to flog them in the ruck and play Thommo off the bench...

Thommo can play at FF when Hale gives Drew a rest...Desparately need another target to exploit swans height but not McIntosh I assure you...

I agree. I'm fine with going in top-heavy as long as the big men can take a contested mark. Hamish can't do that & his biggest attribute is linking up around the ground which he did well in the first 10 minutes on Sat but he ran out of puff very quickly as he did for the first 6 weeks this season.
He reminded me of a bull with **** in his last 2 games.:thumbsdown:

But do we need Thommo? Don't forget how useless he was before being dropped. Better off going in too small & at least then we won't get run off our legs. We have won a lot of games without Azza, Thommo & Hamish - why change the winning formula? THIS IS MY BIGGEST GRIPE!!!!!

I agree. I'm fine with going in top-heavy as long as the big men can take a contested mark. Hamish can't do that & his biggest attribute is linking up around the ground which he did well in the first 10 minutes on Sat but he ran out of puff very quickly as he did for the first 6 weeks this season.
He reminded me of a bull with **** in his last 2 games.:thumbsdown:

But do we need Thommo? Don't forget how useless he was before being dropped. Better off going in too small & at least then we won't get run off our legs. We have won a lot of games without Azza, Thommo & Hamish - why change the winning formula? THIS IS MY BIGGEST GRIPE!!!!!

But you had to play them sometime or another. If that's the case, what happens next year? We continue the same path just because we kept winning without them that they won't come in? Can't blame everything on them.

I can understand Hamish, but Azza got raps from the coach this week. Guarenteed he won't get dropped.

I dont know how we can play Grant, Edwards, Jones and McMahon in the one side. Too many mid-sized forwards, the number has to be cut in half and I don't see them dropping Grant so 2 of the three must go imo.

Thompson is an interesting one, they will try to drop numbers on Hale so it is important all the talls make their defender accountable by leading well out of the goal face.

Thommo just has to lead to the 40-45m mark and if his defender remotely hesitates and our midfield *cough* honour the lead and put the ball out in front of him he will cause damage because he is no mug. He just needs to lead early to force his man to commit and if he does commit then Hale one-on-one in the goal square is the kind of matchup we want to see a lot of.

Grant and Jones/Edwards will need to play a team oriented game, that is to push outside of the forward 50 to provide more midfield run and lead inside 50 rather than lead out from deep within the 50, this will create a lot more room for our key forwards because there is less opportunity for their defenders to help eachother out. We crowd our forwards more than the opposition does.

2 talls, 2 mediums and that gives us two smalls in the pockets who should push wide early to draw their men out of the corridor, if they are left open then they should be utilised, if they manned up then it allows them to hit the pack in case the ball comes to ground, but late enough so their man can't help the other defenders out. Massive difference between when our forwards work hard and when they don't.

I'd like to see Goldy play, if he can ruck and hold his own then it allows us to use Petrie somewhere more valuable like on Barry Hall. Monster doesn't seem to have the conditioning/form.

If we rest a few of the medium sized players it will allow us to put a couple of smalls on the bench, my preference would be Riggio or Ross. Sinclair can replace Harding if he is no good.

I can understand Hamish, but Azza got raps from the coach this week. Guarenteed he won't get dropped.

Coaches often say a lot of bullshit hoping the opposition assumes we will pick certain players. I don't think it ever works.

A bit like 50/50 for Harding, i think those odds are a bit generous when he is struggling to move on a Tuesday.

In hindsight, if only, if only we'd left the team alone after our brilliant win over Carlton. Talk about flirting with your form. Now, our knickers are in such a twist, we don't know which way to go. I think the safest thing we can do is revert to the 22 that performed so well as a unit against Carlton (maybe, Swallow/Ross/Riggio/Lower for Harding if unavailable). At least we know that it worked! Wholesale changes are, probably, just asking for another belting.

Coaches often say a lot of bullshit hoping the opposition assumes we will pick certain players. I don't think it ever works.

A bit like 50/50 for Harding, i think those odds are a bit generous when he is struggling to move on a Tuesday.

You reckon that playing 80% of last weeks gameand played well coming back from an injury is bullshit talk? Just can't see him getting dropped. It would probally be Jones who would get dropped.

Yeah I reckon I would prefer Goldy, Thommo or even (ducks for cover) Browny in the ruck rather than mess with the one winning position we have on the ground right now, that being Haley at FF.

Well whatever happens, Hamish has to be dropped. His a liability right now for us.

I'm probably quite harsh, but i'd be dropping Jones, Harris, Power, Watt, Harding (inj.) and McIntosh for Thommo or Goldy, Lower or Swallow, Ross, Riggio or Sinclair, maybe Scott Thompson.

I dont know how we can play Grant, Edwards, Jones and McMahon in the one side. Too many mid-sized forwards, the number has to be cut in half and I don't see them dropping Grant so 2 of the three must go imo.

Thompson is an interesting one, they will try to drop numbers on Hale so it is important all the talls make their defender accountable by leading well out of the goal face.

Thommo just has to lead to the 40-45m mark and if his defender remotely hesitates and our midfield *cough* honour the lead and put the ball out in front of him he will cause damage because he is no mug. He just needs to lead early to force his man to commit and if he does commit then Hale one-on-one in the goal square is the kind of matchup we want to see a lot of.

Grant and Jones/Edwards will need to play a team oriented game, that is to push outside of the forward 50 to provide more midfield run and lead inside 50 rather than lead out from deep within the 50, this will create a lot more room for our key forwards because there is less opportunity for their defenders to help eachother out. We crowd our forwards more than the opposition does.

2 talls, 2 mediums and that gives us two smalls in the pockets who should push wide early to draw their men out of the corridor, if they are left open then they should be utilised, if they manned up then it allows them to hit the pack in case the ball comes to ground, but late enough so their man can't help the other defenders out. Massive difference between when our forwards work hard and when they don't.

I'd like to see Goldy play, if he can ruck and hold his own then it allows us to use Petrie somewhere more valuable like on Barry Hall. Monster doesn't seem to have the conditioning/form.

If we rest a few of the medium sized players it will allow us to put a couple of smalls on the bench, my preference would be Riggio or Ross. Sinclair can replace Harding if he is no good.

Good summary this one. :thumbsu:

We need Petrie in the middle.. to be relieved by Hale. Thomson to play off the bench in FF when Hale is in the Ruck... There is no room for Hamish, No room for Leigh Brown, No Room for Shannon watt..

Hansen holds down CHB, Azza holds down CHF... Grant and Jones play on a flank each.. .and Flash and LT play in the pockets..

1. Sinclair to come in for Harding...
2. Thommo to come in for Watt...
3. Lower to come in for McIntosh

We need Petrie in the middle.. to be relieved by Hale. Thomson to play off the bench in FF when Hale is in the Ruck... There is no room for Hamish, No room for Leigh Brown, No Room for Shannon watt..

Hansen holds down CHB, Azza holds down CHF... Grant and Jones play on a flank each.. .and Flash and LT play in the pockets..

1. Sinclair to come in for Harding...
2. Thommo to come in for Watt...
3. Lower to come in for McIntosh

CORRECT WEIGHT.....:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point, and I acknowledge that he was almost all Australian last year and is probably one of the top two young ruckmen in the country, but on the other hand we could possibly get Corey McKernan's brother and win the next ten flags.

Get with the program.

First round draft picks = automatic superstars that will instantly turn us into a premiership team.

We must trade our guns (former top 10 picks ironically) for as much of those mid-first rounders as we can.

Just look at how well Trotter, Shore, Dylan Smith, Watson and co have turned out.

I think you guys need to spend less time thinking about the talent of Hamish (which is undoubted) and more time thinking about how our team will be structured next year and beyond.
Do all of Hamish, Hale and Goldstein make the 22? Cant see us playing three 200cm+ players together.
Now add Josh Smith, Tarrant to that mix which also includes Petrie and Hansen.

For me, if it meant getting a top 10 pick...which is far more hit than miss these days......then I would do it. Especially this year in the last uncompromised draft for a while.

But, it wont happen

I'm questioning Hamish's tap work. I don't think he gets as many hitouts such as Cox, Lade, Jolly and others, even in 2007. His work around the ground is good, but that's not the main priority is it? If you can't get the hitouts then the ruckman is pretty much useless. Goldstein seems to be a more pure ruckman who can get more hitouts and palm it more effectively. Okay he might not be as mobile as H but this can be improved, remember H couldn't run 400m in his first season. Therefore, Goldstein should be our first ruckman shouldn't he? Leaving McIntosh out of the team. The only way I see both playing in the same team is if they can play in another role (forward line I'm guessing) effectively and I don't think they can. Ottens is the best example who effectively does this.
So that would leave McIntosh out of the team right? He's way too good to be left out.
That's why people are putting him up for trade. Imagine what we could get for him? First round draft pick.
Personally I don't think the club has the balls to do it. That's why we're always lagging in the middle.

I'm questioning Hamish's tap work. I don't think he gets as many hitouts such as Cox, Lade, Jolly and others, even in 2007. His work around the ground is good, but that's not the main priority is it? If you can't get the hitouts then the ruckman is pretty much useless. Goldstein seems to be a more pure ruckman who can get more hitouts and palm it more effectively. Okay he might not be as mobile as H but this can be improved, remember H couldn't run 400m in his first season. Therefore, Goldstein should be our first ruckman shouldn't he? Leaving McIntosh out of the team. The only way I see both playing in the same team is if they can play in another role (forward line I'm guessing) effectively and I don't think they can. Ottens is the best example who effectively does this.
So that would leave McIntosh out of the team right? He's way too good to be left out.
That's why people are putting him up for trade. Imagine what we could get for him? First round draft pick.
Personally I don't think the club has the balls to do it. That's why we're always lagging in the middle.

FFS.

We can improve Goldy's mobility around the ground but not Hamish's ruck work? It is all about taps?

I have the best idea. You'll love it.

The Dogs just de-listed Peter Street. Let's trade Hamish and Goldy, get like 5 or 6 first round picks (OMG:eek:Imagine that many picks!!) and we will have a ruckman who will always get the tap and the we can improve his mobility by making him run 100m sprints all summer.

I am emailing the club. Here comes a flag.

I think you guys need to spend less time thinking about the talent of Hamish (which is undoubted) and more time thinking about how our team will be structured next year and beyond.
Do all of Hamish, Hale and Goldstein make the 22? Cant see us playing three 200cm+ players together.
Now add Josh Smith, Tarrant to that mix which also includes Petrie and Hansen.

For me, if it meant getting a top 10 pick...which is far more hit than miss these days......then I would do it. Especially this year in the last uncompromised draft for a while.

But, it wont happen

Croad, Gilham, Franklin, Roughead, Campbell, Renouf, Birchall.

Nah, too many talls. They should trade Franklin.

Petrie is not a ruckman. Now Thommo is gone, you'd think Hale is now the key forward. I'm hoping they stick to one position instead of being played all over the ground and ****ing up the structure.

Goldstein has not proven anything at AFL level yet anyway. How has he all of a sudden become our number one ruckman? Even if he makes it, it'll take him 5-6 more years to hit his prime.

Petrie is not a ruckman. Now Thommo is gone, you'd think Hale is now the key forward. I'm hoping they stick to one position instead of being played all over the ground and ****ing up the structure.

Goldstein has not proven anything at AFL level yet anyway. How has he all of a sudden become our number one ruckman? Even if he makes it, it'll take him 5-6 more years to hit his prime.
Petrie would be the perfect 2nd ruckman, many people had him as AA due to this. He'd only need to play 20-30% in the ruck and the rest in defence or up forward. These days rotation is very important. If you have 2 ruckman who can't play anywhere else but the ruck, you're gonna struggle. Yes Goldstein still has a long way to go, but so does McIntosh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back