1 million people or more through the gate in a home/away season

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I recently found out that my club got a million people through the gate again this year, and it got me curious as to how many times every club has done it.

Interestingly only four clubs have ever gotten 1 million people or more through the gate in the home and away season. Those clubs are Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton.

Here's how many times each of those clubs have managed to get 1 million people or more through the gate.

Collingwood - 23 times
Essendon - 16 times
Richmond - 6 times
Carlton - 5 times

Out of the rest of the clubs, West Coast have come closest to getting a million people through the gate which was in 2019, and I reckon they'll get a million through the gate once they come good again.

Which club do you think will be next to get a million through the gate in a home/away season for the first time?

I recently found out that my club got a million people through the gate again this year, and it got me curious as to how many times every club has done it.

Interestingly only four clubs have ever gotten 1 million people or more through the gate in the home and away season. Those clubs are Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton.

Here's how many times each of those clubs have managed to get 1 million people or more through the gate.

Collingwood - 23 times
Essendon - 16 times
Richmond - 6 times
Carlton - 5 times

Out of the rest of the clubs, West Coast have come closest to getting a million people through the gate which was in 2019, and I reckon they'll get a million through the gate once they come good again.

Which club do you think will be next to get a million through the gate in a home/away season for the first time?
Hang on, so you're saying Collingwood have pulled over a million people through the gates nearly 300% more often than Richmond?

Wowee.

Geelong go for quality over quantity. Can't imagine we would land all those players like Cameron, Dangerfield, Smith or Stengle if we had a million rabid fans following them around all day every day.

Geelong go for quality over quantity. Can't imagine we would land all those players like Cameron, Dangerfield, Smith or Stengle if we had a million rabid fans following them around all day every day.

To be fair, you can play for the Demons and get the Geelong experience in Melbourne. ;)

Collingwood - 23 times
Essendon - 16 times
Richmond - 6 times
Carlton - 5 times

You said "a million people through the gate" like, a thousand times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Optus capacity 60K times 11 home games will never equal 1M spectators, sorry West Coast
We just need to play 22 Derbies, which was on the cards a few times in the past few years.

This is how Collingwood does it. They play 10 equivalent derbies a year and both sets of fans fill the 100k seats. Vs interstate teams they barely crack 30-40k.

Hang on, so you're saying Collingwood have pulled over a million people through the gates nearly 300% more often than Richmond?

Wowee.
Yes indeed, but to Richmond's credit, they did get a million through the gate in 1973 including finals.

And the suburb of Collingwood got a million people through the gates at Barwon prison in a single home invasion/getaway season, so it's been one hell of a year!

Collingwood - 23 times
Essendon - 16 times
Richmond - 6 times
Carlton - 5 times

Yes yes…the big 4

The super clubs

The juggernauts

The 4 pronged lunch pin of the entire league

No surprise

The problem is, if the stadiums could cater for all Collingwood supporters who want to attend games, we'd reach 2 million patrons each year comfortably.

The other million haven’t got any money to buy a loaf of day old bread let alone find the funds to attend a season at the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back