1 Rookie Retained

Remove this Banner Ad

http://portadelaidefc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsId=52137

Rookie news - Grose stays on
2:55 PM Thu 4 October, 2007 | Back

By Daniel Bryant

for portadelaidefc.com.au

News
Port Adelaide has confirmed it will keep young key defender Gavin Grose on its Rookie List next year but has let its other rookie-listed players go.

Grose, 19, made excellent progress in his first year at the club, breaking into North Adelaide’s league side during the year and playing consistent football at full-back both at the top level and in the Roosters’ reserves side.

He has a huge kick and has worked hard on creating play up the ground.

In Round 14, he was judged the Power’s best player in the SANFL by Development Coach Darren Trevena, who at the time has this to say about him...

“Gavin is growing in confidence. He’s played on different opponents and in different positions, he’s bringing new things to his game and his style,” Trevena said.

“I suppose when you come from (Mt Gravatt in Queensland's) QAFL where you can probably kick the ball out and spectate for a little while and then watch it come back in, he is now starting to adapt to the pace of the SANFL and he’s just getting better and better, so it’s been a huge improvement by him.

“In the last quarter a big, heavy, wet ball came in and he out marked his opponent which is one of Gavin’s attributes. The main area for Gavin is that he has a fantastic kick, a powerful left leg that he utilises very well. His marking is good and his spoiling is very good and he doesn’t seem to back down.”

Grose has been offered a second season on the club’s rookie list.

Fellow first-year rookies Alex Lee, Nathan Batsanis and Peter Hardy were not offered new contracts.

The Power has consistently rotated players through the rookie list and often come up trumps.

Last year it upgraded Tom Logan and Greg Bentley from the rookie list after one season, and let Tim Looby and Tom Rischbieth go.

The club has confirmed it will not make any decisions on its primary list until after next week’s exchange period.

Josh Mahoney and Darryl Wakelin have retired, meaning the club would be required to delist at least one more player to participate in the NAB AFL Draft in November, where its first pick is at No. 16.

Good stuff, I think he was the obvious one.

Grose was definately worth another crack. I thought Batsanis was as well. Seemed to have a lot of skill. Bit dissapointed that he didnt get another crack. The other two were dissapointing all year.

None of us know if Batsanis was offered another year on our Rookie List or not.

The players have the right to accept, or decline, such an offer.

Grose has obviously accepted.

Personally I would have liked to see Batsanis retained, but such is life

None of us know if Batsanis was offered another year on our Rookie List or not.

The players have the right to accept, or decline, such an offer.

Grose has obviously accepted.
Didn't read the article above? ;)

Fellow first-year rookies Alex Lee, Nathan Batsanis and Peter Hardy were not offered new contracts.

Don't be surpried if Collingwood pick him up as he was a mad Collingwood supporter and he was rated last year. If someone else doesn't first we should at least offer him rookie spot. It's sad with list pressures that clubs need to trim lists and turn out players so quick.

i am absolutely shocked that u didnt retain nathan batsanis...i mean for a guy that got asked to train on with the finals squad means that the club saw something in him and then to go and part ways with him is quite strange...he's a neat little footballer as well..

It might say what you quoted, but that may have just glossed over the fact that he was offered a rookie place but declined it in favour of going into the main draft with a chance to go onto a main list. I dont know if this was the case but i think its likely/possible, and i dont really think if he did "reject" a rookie placement with Port, the club is going to admit it, its much easier to lump him into the same category as the other 2 guys who weren't retained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I read the article, I also know that everything behind closed doors is not always what is in the print media.

If you believe all that is written, then more fool you

Yeah, like many others i am surprised not to see Batsanis retained. I thought they might have even made room on the senior list for him. He was playing some good footy for WWT before he got injured.

Maybe the footy dept is happy with our depth of mid-fielders and small forwards.

I'd hope for the young fella's sake it was that and not an attitude thing.

I am glad to see Grose get an extension though. I saw him back at the club rooms for player presentations a few times. He just seemed to be doing all he could to get noticed. Onya Gav.

I'm not surprised we didn't keep Batsanis.

What is his exceptional trait that will make him an AFL player?

why would they do that? you can keep a rookie for 2 seasons if you wish. Theres absolutely no other reason Port would ditch him after 1 season

I think 4 players need to be delisted/retire at the end of the season. The usual thing is, that they delist someone as part of the 4, and pick him up again. OBviously they only do it to expendeable players, so that if someone else picks him up, it's no huge loss.

I think 4 players need to be delisted/retire at the end of the season. The usual thing is, that they delist someone as part of the 4, and pick him up again. OBviously they only do it to expendeable players, so that if someone else picks him up, it's no huge loss.

Rookie "delists" aren't included in the main delistings. They could very well re rookie him if hes overlooked by other clubs - it may have been his decision not to stay on as a rookie but if the club picks him up again he'll be tied to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

1 Rookie Retained

Remove this Banner Ad

Back