NFL (10/11) Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay Packers vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Super Bowl XLV: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Green Bay Packers

I have to pull for the Pack in this one. As a Cowboys fan, seeing the Squealers win their 7th title in our new stadium would be too much to bear.

I see The Black Eyed Peas are performing at half-time. Boy that's going to be hideous.

(I mean who wants to watch Black Eyed Peas)

My desire to see the giant video board fall from the roof crushing the Black Eyed Peas @ Halftime supercedes any emotion I have for the outcome of the actual game!

Here's something to keep you guys busy at halftime

Should ship just in time for the big one. I think a bulk order is on the cards

What's with the silliness from weagles-fan and woodson voting for every option :thumbsdown:

kramer-robics.gif

With many newbies floating thru, thought they could join the fun by riding on as many bandwagons as possible :D. I actually hope Big Ben gets MVP so Terry Bradshaw can stop bad mouthing him. That's another story that is really bubbling along in da 'Burgh. But I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron Rogers gets the prize coz he has been phenomenal throughout the play-offs.

Coach LeBeau may want to unleash the junkyard dogs one more time before he retires. Rogers better beware. ;)

speaking of LeBeau and retirement ... Woodson, do you think this might be the start of a last hurrah of sorts for what has been a phenomenal Steelers defence? Farrior is 36, Keisel is 32, Hampton is 33, Smith is 34, Harrison is 32, Polamlu turns 30 in a couple of months and gets injured all the time lately. it's not exactly a group of young guys among the starters, and LeBeau is in his mid-70s. not that I'm saying there will be a huge drop off or anything but just wondering your thoughts on this one.

speaking of LeBeau and retirement ... Woodson, do you think this might be the start of a last hurrah of sorts for what has been a phenomenal Steelers defence? Farrior is 36, Keisel is 32, Hampton is 33, Smith is 34, Harrison is 32, Polamlu turns 30 in a couple of months and gets injured all the time lately. it's not exactly a group of young guys among the starters, and LeBeau is in his mid-70s. not that I'm saying there will be a huge drop off or anything but just wondering your thoughts on this one.

You've definitely worked it out and hopefully you'll appreciate why the Steelers comeback was so special last week ;) but I wholeheartedly agree. Era ends this group's dominance. Aaron Smith is the forgotten defender who will most likely get his last shot in the Supabah as well. I noticed you've recognized that the Browns are slowly building for their shot of glory in the future.

If the Steelers drop this one, it's just a lost opportunity for the new faces in the last couple years. The old campaigners will no doubt be phased out of the game by 2013 so it's (most likely) the last hoorah if anything. Gotta love our chances for this one when all things considered.

yeah, glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this. it was a point I thought was often overlooked throughout this season, obviously being in the same division I pay attention to Pittsburgh's goings on. :p Baltimore gets the label of having an ageing defence but I'd say ours is younger than Pittsburgh's - Ray Lewis is even a few months younger than Farrior! :p it just isn't as talented though. there is going to be a hell of a lot of talent departing that defence over the next year or so. who knows, the Super Bowl might even be the final game for some of them?

that said this Steelers defence is just unbelievable and should go down as one of the better defences of all-time. statistically the 2000 Ravens only gave up 2.2ypg more on average than the Steelers in 2010, it's been that difficult to run on them. respect to that.

Geez I'd hate to be Rogers, the thought of James Farrior and James Harrison trying to hit you as hard as possible :eek:
But I'd also hate to be Big Ben, Clay Matthews and A.J Hawk coming at you :eek:

Re: Superbowl XLV: Piitsburgh Steelers (2) vs Green Bay Packers (6)

Congrats to both teams and the fans. Enjoy the buildup..I'm on the GB band wagon:thumbsu:

Yep, echoing the sentiments from Galactic. They both deserve to be in this position. But go GB, Rodgers is quickly becoming one of my favourite players and I would hate to see Ben have the same amount of rings as Brady.

Predicting a Packers win and Rodgers MVP.

Yep, echoing the sentiments from Galactic. They both deserve to be in this position. But go GB, Rodgers is quickly becoming one of my favourite players and I would hate to see Ben have the same amount of rings as Brady.

Predicting a Packers win and Rodgers MVP.

Why the hate? Brady was a diamond in the rough round #6 pick in 2000. Lucky punk. ;) Big Ben got overlooked by 10 teams... third QB selected in the first round of 2004. I think you'd have to appreciate the fact that the game is more about the TEAM aspect instead of the QB's. Guys like Flozell 'The Hotel' Adams who has been in the league a helluva long time, 13 years. Round #2 pick in 1998, 1-6 record in the play-offs. Gets to play in Dallas again. Great fairytale story, much like The Bus. :thumbsu:

And then there's BIG SNACK , Casey Hampton, another FIRST ROUNDER, who followed the Oilers as a kid, hated the Cowboys, a Texas Longhorn, hurt his ACL in 2004. The League's premium NT still. Definitely his last shot of another championship. Experience is going to be telling I'd think. D LeBeau isn't getting any younger either and still the best DC in the biz. Rogers will need to overcome hit after hit.. (ouch, ouch, ouch).. his sore shoulder after last week won't get any better after Harrison exposes Balaga on the line.. think GANDY in SB XLIII. ;);) Wizard knows what I'm talking about.

It's gonna be BRUTAL. Rogers isn't built like Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner or Big Ben for that matter. Protection will be at a premium.

Here's a JUICY stat for Packer bandwagoners.. LaMarr Woodley has already laid 10 SACKS in the play-offs/ SB included. Packers Run D will need to play LIGHTS OUT. Big Ben loves to torch the opposition on the play-action. 500+ yards vs Packers last time they met. The Land Shark didn't play against the Packers in that Week 15 thriller last season when Big Ben was Clutch in the final seconds.. Steelers edging out the Pack 37-36.

[YOUTUBE]8S0vHa0lfK8[/YOUTUBE]

Going for the Packers althouth I worry they dominated the bears but didnt convert their superiority.

two of th TDs were unconventional

Hopefully they arent as lax in that area next time

PS I dint know much about gridiron

Why the hate? Brady was a diamond in the rough round #6 pick in 2000. Lucky punk. ;) Big Ben got overlooked by 10 teams... third QB selected in the first round of 2004. I think you'd have to appreciate the fact that the game is more about the TEAM aspect instead of the QB's. Guys like Flozell 'The Hotel' Adams who has been in the league a helluva long time, 13 years. Round #2 pick in 1998, 1-6 record in the play-offs. Gets to play in Dallas again. Great fairytale story, much like The Bus. :thumbsu:

And then there's BIG SNACK , Casey Hampton, another FIRST ROUNDER, who followed the Oilers as a kid, hated the Cowboys, a Texas Longhorn, hurt his ACL in 2004. The League's premium NT still. Definitely his last shot of another championship. Experience is going to be telling I'd think. D LeBeau isn't getting any younger either and still the best DC in the biz. Rogers will need to overcome hit after hit.. (ouch, ouch, ouch).. his sore shoulder after last week won't get any better after Harrison exposes Balaga on the line.. think GANDY in SB XLIII. ;);) Wizard knows what I'm talking about.

It's gonna be BRUTAL. Rogers isn't built like Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner or Big Ben for that matter. Protection will be at a premium.

Here's a JUICY stat for Packer bandwagoners.. LaMarr Woodley has already laid 10 SACKS in the play-offs/ SB included. Packers Run D will need to play LIGHTS OUT. Big Ben loves to torch the opposition on the play-action. 500+ yards vs Packers last time they met. The Land Shark didn't play against the Packers in that Week 15 thriller last season when Big Ben was Clutch in the final seconds.. Steelers edging out the Pack 37-36.

[YOUTUBE]8S0vHa0lfK8[/YOUTUBE]
Maybe I should have phrased it better. I would like Tom to still be the most successful QB in the league.:p

No hate towards Big Ben aside from he being a Steeler which will cause some animosity due to our two teams period of success in the last decade.

Plus, :heart::heart::heart:Aaron Rodgers.:p

pfft Arizona and Atlanta hardly have good defenses. Even on Philly's crappy defense he only managed to get 3 scores. He is average unless his receivers can get wide open watch him throw for 2 picks and 0 touchdowns in the SB.

To put up 45 points on any defense in the playoffs is a great effort and then 48 on a 13-3 team is unbelievable, not that weren't any good. 5th best scoring defense in the nfl, 4th in interceptions, top ten for stopping the run. might have leaked a bit throwing but mainly in due for them always being in front i assume. Either way to put up 45 and 48 points on any team in the playoffs is worth considering, yes he has good recievers but he is the man throwing to them, reading coverages blitzes, throwing the ball, accuracy. Im not going to say he is up there with brady manning or even brees but if he keeps going the way he is then good on him. add a superbowl ring from the 6th seed is an effort by the whole team but he is the controller of that offense so he would deserve some credit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I've changed my beleifs now, I'm now leaning towards Pittsburgh
infact, it's the final leg of a multi I put on today. Almost 10-1 and it's really the only question.

and if I can turn $20 into $196.77. I'd be quite happy

Loving ONE HD at the moment;

Full coverage of the Superbowl, from pre game to the game itself, with all the SB adds too.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

http://onehd.com.au/us-sports-12022.htm

I wouldn't get too excited. They'll show American ads before the game and at half time but otherwise will have normal ads.

I just can't bring myself to get in behind the Steelers. I think they are the stronger team and if Polamalu and Bathroom Ben have good days out then the Pack is in serious trouble. That said I've enjoyed watching Green Bay this season especially during the play off run and if I can indulge in some sort of sentimentality they're my prediction as Super Bowl champs.

i just cant believe we made it this far with the amount of injuries we have, 16 inactive players including 2 of our guns in Finley and Barnett. Kudos to the Pack

I think every team has injuries, it is really just a matter of how you respond to them. That is why Tomlin has his "the standard is the standard" line. He expects the same of the fill-ins as of the starters. Sure, there will be a possible drop-off in performance as less talented players come in, but there is the same role to play and the same standards of preparation, effort and basic performance to be met.

I think every team has injuries, it is really just a matter of how you respond to them. That is why Tomlin has his "the standard is the standard" line. He expects the same of the fill-ins as of the starters. Sure, there will be a possible drop-off in performance as less talented players come in, but there is the same role to play and the same standards of preparation, effort and basic performance to be met.
has any team had 16 players out long term going into a Superbowl? i think not. This is not a normal situation

yeah every team has lost players but its rare if not a first to have as many players out as the packers do and make the superbowl with out having a home playoff game. but do you think the steelers would of made it this far with out, Miller, Mendenhall, Farrior, Woodley, Clark. and 11 others for the season? because thats what its been like for the packers

has any team had 16 players out long term going into a Superbowl? i think not. This is not a normal situation

Only 16?? Dare to name them? I think maybe 4 are starters and the rest back ups.

Steelers have the following on IR:
#74 Willie Colon * T
#10 Denis Dixon * QB
#9 Dan Sepulveda * P
#78 Max Starks * T

#80 Limus Sweed WR
#37 Tuff Harris DB

add
#91 Aaron Smith * DE
and now
#53 Maurkice Pouncey * C

on the unavailable to play list.

As you can see, much of the O-Line is banged up. Back up QB who can play WR is also out. The better Punter who can hit/ tackle. DE Aaron Smith has been out for much of the season due to torn biceps. Unlikely to suit up for Big Dance.

Melbourne's Herald Sun (the NFL experts paper on the eve of the Supabah):rolleyes::rolleyes: are jumping on the Packers overloaded bandwagon already. :)

They are surely the first team ever to suffer key injuries.

Is it actually a record?

Don't get me wrong, it is a fine effort. But that is what separates good and great teams, the ability to get over injuries, as they WILL happen throughout an NFL season.

Packers have.
Ryan Grant, Jermichael Finlay, Mark Toucher, Nick Barnett, Brad Jones, Morgan Burnett All week 1 starters, and than there are back ups or players that played in different formations like Brandon Chiller, Brady Popinga. and there are more but i cant think of them off my head and after that there are the back ups and replacements that we lost, and there are players like Rodgers and Driver that missed a game this season, we were hit hard by injuries all year and are lucky to of even made the playoffs.

and also Johny Jolly who was suspended for the season for failing a drug test IIRC. but there are like 4 or 5 Dline players we lost aswell as more DB's

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL (10/11) Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay Packers vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back