10 rounds to go is 8-2 a realistic result?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2007
Clyde North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
boxing, cricket
Who in here honestly believe we can go 8-2 for the remaining 10 rounds? i for one think we will be lucky to go 5-5 and finish the season on 11-11.

would 11 wins be enough to gives us at least the very minimal 8th spot? i dont care any more if we dont get the 4th spot and i think for the players them selves to atleast compete in the finals would give them some hope and confidance for next year.

Honestly all i want to see for the remaining 10 rounds is desperation, hunger and intensity to lead us into 2010...

Re: 10 rounds to go is 8-2 a reastic result?

Then make sure you only watch Geelong and St. Kilda games for the rest of season.

Hawthorn are gone.

you honestly dont think we will get any hunger and intensity back this year?
if we dont get any of intensity, hunger and desperation back this year regardless if we finish top 8 or not then i think it has been a total waste of a season..

Teams can never turn things around that drastically mid season mate - prepare yourself for another mediocre half season and we'll be lucky to just pinch a spot

No. 8-2 for the rest of the season is not realistic. I agree with the OP that 5-5 is probably more like it. Scrape into the top 8 would be a good result given where we are now. Not being pessimistic, just realistic. I am happy to be proven wrong and see us go 8-2 however!

you honestly dont think we will get any hunger and intensity back this year?
if we dont get any of intensity, hunger and desperation back this year regardless if we finish top 8 or not then i think it has been a total waste of a season..

I don't think its a lack of hunger - I think its just a lack of fitness with key players (e.g. sewell) having had to carry the team this year not able to keep that intensity up every week - given the number of in-game injuries we've had and underdone players each week the players are stuffed they've had to put in a huge amount of work to get this far. So many games this year we've had players cramping up at 3 quarter time - meaning the ones left out there are being pushed to their limits every week.

Also dont underestimate the impact the sydney game had on the team - it was a brutal, brutal slog of the game. In hindsight Im not too surprised our key clearence players were down this week.

I don't think its a lack of hunger - I think its just a lack of fitness with key players (e.g. sewell) having had to carry the team this year not able to keep that intensity up every week - given the number of in-game injuries we've had and underdone players each week the players are stuffed they've had to put in a huge amount of work to get this far. So many games this year we've had players cramping up at 3 quarter time - meaning the ones left out there are being pushed to their limits every week.

Also dont underestimate the impact the sydney game had on the team - it was a brutal, brutal slog of the game. In hindsight Im not too surprised our key clearence players were down this week.

i can apreciate that some players have to carry loads bit more than others, and this could prob be the reason why we have 4th quarter fade outs, but its more than just players going hard for longer than expected during a game and running out of legs, its their attitude they dont seem to have the intensity and the mentality to go on, 2 examples, C.Brown droping a mark in the goal sqaure and Tayler dropping a mark in the goal sqaure both seem easy with no pressure to mark it..
we need to become the hunter again and that is all a mindset problem that we have had for a very long time now even through out 2002-2006, only 1 year where we were mentaly strong and that was our premiership year...

i think that if we can win 5 out of the next 10 games then all we can do is hope other teams lose so we can atleast make the 8 so its not a complete waste of a season....

11 wins will be about it.
This time next week we'll be ninth, assuming bombers beat the dees.

We should be able to finish off the year with 7-3 from the next ten. Realistically, i cant see us beating Geelong, St Kilda or the Bulldogs with the way we are playing at the moment, but the other games are all winnable.

Done and dusted piss the over the top positivity off and be realistic we might not even make finals this year.

I hope we get 6-4. 12-10 and just play finals. Can't believe I would be saying this after Round 12 with the optimism I had before Round 1.

This is the wake up call our young list required to go forward. We have overated a few of the younger types I believe. Depth isn't as great as I and most of us thought before the openening roounf of the season.

Who in here honestly believe we can go 8-2 for the remaining 10 rounds? i for one think we will be lucky to go 5-5 and finish the season on 11-11.

would 11 wins be enough to gives us at least the very minimal 8th spot? i dont care any more if we dont get the 4th spot and i think for the players them selves to atleast compete in the finals would give them some hope and confidance for next year.

Honestly all i want to see for the remaining 10 rounds is desperation, hunger and intensity to lead us into 2010...
That all depends on Ess Syd and Port.
Rnd 22 might be one of the biggest Hawk Bomber clashes in years.

No, but 6-4 would be achievable if the playing group's attitude changes a little over the break. That'd mean 12-10 and probably an interstate elimination final (i.e. against Brisbane or Adelaide).

The absence of that "hunger" was clearly evident yesterday as the Lions played like a team desperate to atone for the previous week's narrow loss, and we performed as if we just expected it to happen.

Oh well, in my view everyone's playing for 3rd now anyhow. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Geelong 21 1
2 St Kilda 18 4
3 W Bulldogs 17 5
4 Carlton 15 7
5 Adelaide 14 8
6 Sydney 13 9
7 Bris Lions 12 10
8 Hawthorn 12 10
9 Port Adel 12 10
10 Collingwood 10 12
11 Essendon 8 14
12 West Coast 7 15
13 Fremantle 6 16
14 Nth Melb 6 16
15 Richmond 4 18
16 Melbourne 1 21

Thats how I see it at the end of the year. possibly have us on another win and port on less as that is with the winning. Either way try the predictor to see what you get

I think the needing to win 8 games would be to guarantee a spot. I would be flat amazed if it was actually required.

WC(away)-Probable Win
Foots(TD)-Probable Loss
NM(Tas)-W
Coll-L(Would be very painful)
Geel-L
Pt.A(AAMI)-L
St.K(Tas)-W(Upset of the season!!!)
Adel(H)-W
Rich-W
Ess-W(PPPLLLEEEAAASSSE)
That makes 12 all up (incl. "Aints)
Coll winnable but will take massive turnaround.
Equally Adel. possibly a loss.

Done and dusted piss the over the top positivity off and be realistic we might not even make finals this year.

it is slowly becoming a harsh reality now that yes we may even miss out on the finals all together, but did you know that the Saints were 5-7 after 12 rounds last season and won 8 of their last 10 games to finish 4th by %.

i am not giving up hope just yet but i tell you if we dont beat the weagles by 5 goals or more then we might as well call it a season, we need to start winning games convincantly and not just win games by falling over the line...

It all depends upon how many injuries we have to our key players.

I did hear that Croady, Gilly and Laddo are all coming back from serious injury.

I am not going to say that we will be looking at winning 8 games to get into the eight. I reckon we will get in with 6 more wins.

What would really help us out would be seeing the saints and the cats drop a couple of games just for a reality check. If those two teams continue to win games they will, and sorry Fred for saying this, will become cocky.

WC(away)-Probable Win
Foots(TD)-Probable Loss
NM(Tas)-W
Geel-L
Pt.A(AAMI)-L
Adel(H)-W
Rich-W
Ess-W(PPPLLLEEEAAASSSE)

This is my prediction..
13) WCE - Subi - win
14) WB - Telstra - loss
15) NM - Aurora - win
16) COL - MCG - win
17) Cats - MCG - our best 22 players to miss due to swin flu?
18) Port - AAMI - win
19) Saints - Aurora - win (Saints to go on a '08 Western Bulldogs style losing streak)
20) Crows - MCG - win
21) Tigers - MCG - win
22) Bombers - MCG - win (100point thrashing, with Twin towers kicking 10 each!!!!!)

8-2
14 wins from 22
Finals will be great, coming off huge Tigers and Bombers thrashings (good momentum!)

WC(away)-Probable Win
Foots(TD)-Probable Loss
NM(Tas)-W
Geel-L
Pt.A(AAMI)-L
Adel(H)-W
Rich-W
Ess-W(PPPLLLEEEAAASSSE)

If we can't beat Port (who are just about shot and will probably be looking for a new coach) we might as well give up

The way I see it, to make the top 4 we must beat the W Bulldogs, to make the finals we have to beat Collingwood, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Essendon

The only probable wins I can see in the run home is West Coast, North Melbourne and Richmond

Have some optimism.
Swans in 05 and 06 were in our position and made the GF twice.
Saints were deplorable after the break in 04 and got knocked out of the finals.
Bulldogs won 4 games after the break last year.

The break makes a massive difference. Just depends on how the club manages the side over the break.

I did that ladder predictor, and came up with some interesting things. Coming into the final round, Hawthorn and Essendon were 8th an 9th respectively:

8 Hawthorn 21 11 10 0 1991 1926 103.37 44
9 Essendon 21 10 11 0 1895 1939 97.73 40

Luckily, we had enough percentage to finish 8th even after being defeated by the Dons. We sraped into 8th spot with 11 - 11. When doing this, I was basing it on an expectation that we will not drastically improve in the second half of the year. I don't really see any reason why we would. A few ins will help us, but at this point our problems are far deeper than a few injuries.

So this was the final ladder:

1 St Kilda 22 21 0 1 2310 1332 173.42 86
2 Geelong 22 21 0 1 2632 1669 157.70 86
3 Carlton 22 15 7 0 2420 1912 126.57 60
4 Bris Lions 22 15 7 0 2218 1927 115.10 60
5 W Bulldogs 22 14 8 0 2455 2026 121.17 56
6 Adelaide 22 14 8 0 2068 1925 107.43 56
7 Collingwood 22 13 9 0 2036 1901 107.10 52
8 Hawthorn 22 11 11 0 2082 2018 103.17 44
9 Essendon 22 11 11 0 1987 2030 97.88 44
10 Port Adel 22 10 12 0 1995 2152 92.70 40
11 Sydney 22 7 15 0 1819 2042 89.08 28
12 Richmond 22 7 15 0 1743 2174 80.17 28
13 West Coast 22 6 16 0 1774 2075 85.49 24
14 Nth Melb 22 5 17 0 1545 2253 68.58 20
15 Fremantle 22 3 19 0 1606 2346 68.46 12
16 Melbourne 22 2 20 0 1421 2329 61.01 8

Yes, I had St. Kilda and Geelong draw, and not lose any games for the rest of the year. Two unbeaten teams after 22 rounds. Quite amazing really. Of course there is a strong chance one of them will lose against someone, and they are not really likely to draw. But I decided that rather than arbitrarily choosing a match or two for one of them to lose (and thus artificially inflating the wins total of the benefactor), I just tipped them both to win every game.

Also, the Adelaide vs Carlton clash in round 22 was huge, because the winner finished in the top 4. Brisbane v Bulldogs in round 20 is also a big game. I gave it to the Lions. Those two games could well decide which teams finish top 4.

So, I'll be watching Essendon and Port closely, because those are the teams that are most likely to take our spot in the 8. We also need to be mindful of our percentage. Part of the reason we snuck into 8th in my prediction was that we thrashed North by 100 points to get our percentage into decent shape.

Still, there won't be much point making the 8 if we don't improve by a lot. As the cliche goes - there's time enough if we're good enough. It's not too late to turn it around, but the boys need to really, really lift. Much soul-searching is needed.

If we dont make a impact this year, then theres always next.
I know for sure 2010 will be another premiership year for us! (ala Saints unbeaten run this year!)

Remove this Banner Ad

10 rounds to go is 8-2 a realistic result?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back