Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I love you TK but yeah, I definitely meant 'best dee player for me', I'm in my 30s ha. It's like in that Homer at the Bat episode when Mr Burns names his team and they're all old players who are mostly gone.
table officer barbrady GIF by South Park

People saying best ever triggers me. Happens in every sport now where people always say goat and best ever and they're like 22 years old lol

Tbf we all kinda hate Melbourne when you think about it
I pretty much just lurk around here, but from what I see this board is pretty much the same echochamber that DemonLand is, just on the flip side of the same coin.

One absolutely loves the MFC and won't hear a bad word against them
One hates the MFC and won't hear a a good word for them.

I like discussion and criticism so I would never go to the Land, but FMD this has been a depressing place to be since '21

I pretty much just lurk around here, but from what I see this board is pretty much the same echochamber that DemonLand is, just on the flip side of the same coin.

One absolutely loves the MFC and won't hear a bad word against them
One hates the MFC and won't hear a a good word for them.

I like discussion and criticism so I would never go to the Land, but FMD this has been a depressing place to be since '21
I think that's complete nonsense. There's me an a couple others who hate everything about us, there's some who hate it a little but are balanced, there's some genuinely down the middle posters and then some complete nuffs.

I think that's complete nonsense. There's me an a couple others who hate everything about us, there's some who hate it a little but are balanced, there's some genuinely down the middle posters and then some complete nuffs.
Which category do I sit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 32 and in his 15th season on the list, he's now averaging career highs in disposals, contested disposals, marks and clearances, while notching his highest hitout numbers since 2019 (though the latter is less surprising given there's no Jackson/Grundy this year).

Pretty remarkable, really. Had a niggle this week obviously, but he seems to be moving just about as well as ever, so could we realistically see him play at a high level for at least another couple of years yet?

Heading for a 7th AA blazer in a landslide this year, and with Oliver, Viney and (to a much lesser extent, Trac) down in form, could he also be a (very outside chance) at a Brownlow?

At 32 and in his 15th season on the list, he's now averaging career highs in disposals, contested disposals, marks and clearances, while notching his highest hitout numbers since 2019 (though the latter is less surprising given there's no Jackson/Grundy this year).

Pretty remarkable, really. Had a niggle this week obviously, but he seems to be moving just about as well as ever, so could we realistically see him play at a high level for at least another couple of years yet?

Heading for a 7th AA blazer in a landslide this year, and with Oliver, Viney and (to a much lesser extent, Trac) down in form, could he also be a (very outside chance) at a Brownlow?
No

When was the last time a key even got close who wasn't Adam Goodes who was really an extra mid

No

When was the last time a key even got close who wasn't Adam Goodes who was really an extra mid
The Brownlow irritates me.

No

As I said, very outside chance (Heeney looks like walking it in). But he has polled 20, 17, 16 and 16 in various seasons with those three guys stealing votes from him. Oliver would've polled in one game at best this year, Viney maybe two, and Trac has been up and down.

Someone's gotta get the votes in our wins, haha.

Would be shocked if Heeney doesn't have it in the bag.
You’re going very early. I’m anticipating a second half season run from Sparrow

As I said, very outside chance (Heeney looks like walking it in). But he has polled 20, 17, 16 and 16 in various seasons with those three guys stealing votes from him. Oliver would've polled in one game at best this year, Viney maybe two, and Trac has been up and down.

Someone's gotta get the votes in our wins, haha.
It's the brownlow. Oliver will probably get 22 votes just from getting 25 shit disposals though. Brownlows the shittest award in all of world sport

One of the weirdest traditions in the AFL. Who decided that an umpires award deserved to be held up in such high esteem?
I think because it predates others, and isn’t a player-type specific thing (like most goals) so it reached the status of top award for the VFL before it turned into a best player over 35 disposals average thing.

I think it has its place but the way it is adjudicated now is so dull and narrow. The other issue is you can’t change to have someone other than the umpires judge it because then it wouldn’t be the Brownlow, and also it is the award for “fairest and best” (in that order) so it would look seriously bad to take it away from the officials whose role is to adjudicate fair play in games

It's the brownlow. Oliver will probably get 22 votes just from getting 25 shit disposals though. Brownlows the shittest award in all of world sport
Coaches award isnt far behind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back