Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 7x All-Australian, 2x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

'We only want Max GAWN'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwimhjXkS88
[to the tune of 'Want you Gone' by Jonathon Coulton]

It's now that time again
It has been such a pleasure
Remember that mark, against the Roos?
Oh how we cheered and clapped
Except that didn't last long
Under the circumstances we've been shockingly nice

You were the forward line answer
'Twas him that we counted on
We used to want you, Juice
But now we only want Max GAWN

GAWN is a lot like him
Maybe not quite as Spudesque
Now massive Maximus is our new man
One day he'll be a star
Like Jimmy Stynes before him
It's such a shame the same will never happen to Juice

He was the forward line answer
'Twas him that we counted on
We'll let you go to Sheedy
Now we only want Max GAWN

Goodbye our long-time friend
Oh...did you think I meant Juice?
That would be funny, if it weren't so sad
Juice has been well replaced
We've got the big man Clark now
When we delist you maybe we'll start winning again

**** off to Gee Dub u Ess
That's what we're counting on
You're someone else's problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHDAbuIO854&feature=related - for singalongs

gawnbabygawn.jpg

(actual ratio)

As the dusk of the Juice regime sets, comes the gawn of a new beginning. MAXIMUM!

Gawnmower

I look forward to seeing mothers gawn over Max and how huge he is

Way to toot your own gawn

I'm still gawning the loss of Juice, tbh. I'm actually pretty gawn over who I prefer

Gawn Starch

I don't have a girlfriend, my internet history is FULL of GAWN (this one may not be ironic)

Anyone heading to the gawna after gym??

That #37 shall be well gawn by the end of his career

I'm so tired, gawning all over the place

That completes 5 minutes of procrastination

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012 Preview:
Fans of Max "Big Maxy" "Mad Max" "Maximum" "I can't believe he's not the biggest cult figure in the AFL yet" Gawn were looking forward to 2012 with renewed relish after his sparkling cameo in the Battlefield Earth that was the Demons' 2011. Recruited in the '09 draft with a recently reconstructed knee, Gawn spent most of his first two years in and out of rehab, but the second tallest man in the AFL had time on his side as a developing ruckman. His task for the next 3-4 years was to hang muscle off his second to one frame and learn the intricate craft of tapping a lofted football to advantage.

With the worst nightmare of most Melbourne supporters eventuating when Mark Jamar was revealed to have done his knee after the destruction of Adelaide in round 7, as well as injuries to back-up Stefan Martin, back-up to the back-up Jake Spencer and his back-up Jack Fitzpatrick, Gawn suddenly swooped from far left field into being a genuine contender for a game. Nevertheless, it took until round 11 for him to get a guernsey (37) and he performed creditably. He wasn't overawed, wasn't outmuscled, did take a few good marks and even wormed his way further into all our hearts with an idiosyncratic set-shot routine.

When Jamar returned, Gawn went back to his day job of rucking for Casey. But the fans knew they had a good thing who would only get better and that, with Gawn and Martin proving Jamar was not our sole decent ruckman, dreams were dreamt that our premiership-winning ruckman might come a little bit taller and a little bit less Russian than previously anticipated.

Alas, just before Christmas reports emerged that the curse of the Official Cult Hero of the MFC had stuck again with Gawn having gone down like a sack of potatoes at pre-season training. While hopes were raised by the big man himself on twitter, they were dashed again by the cold scalpel of truth when it emerged that he was gawn for the season, his knee having again required reconstructing.

So, while this thread may be quiet for the season as Maxy once again makes the long, slow trek to full knee stability, we await the time when he shall once again crouch over the footy at the MCG, like a bear taking a dump in the woods, and shank it horribly. Then we will know our Maxy is back.

Fun Gawn Facts:
  • Despite being born here, Gawn is of Kiwi extraction.
  • If you had norgs and jumped over Max Gawn, you would be the World Record Womens High Jump holder.
  • Max Gawn is so tall that if he was giving you a piggy-back and you fell off, you could read all of Genesis, Exodus and Leviticus before you hit the ground.
  • Max Gawn is an anagram of Gnaw Max.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/tabid/8667/contentid/428010/default.aspx

Faximums gleaned from this Gawn Update:
  • Currently 5 weeks away from beginning to run.
  • Strength and conditioning training from 730am to 5pm.
  • Max is impervious to all forms of loneliness.
  • Gawn reanimated the corpse of Abe Lincoln just to steal his beard.
  • Even Lynden's teammates are sick of his moustache.
  • Because Gawn has a much larger volume of mass to move and coordinate than a normal person, his brain (and therefore head) is nearly twice as big as a normal person's, as shown by the following to-scale diagram:
gawnsizedhead.png

MFC: Pre-season update: Davey to Jamar

37. Max Gawn
Max unfortunately hurt his hamstring really early in pre-season, which limited his ability to get on the track with the main group. However, he has performed strongly in the rehabilitation program.

– Brian Royal

MFC: Gawn doesn't want to be forgotten
It was a little more than 12 months ago that ruckman Max Gawn knew his fate for the 2012 season.

That occurred on December 14, 2011, when he tore his right medial meniscus and anterior cruciate ligament at training.

The mishap resulted in an entire season on the sidelines. It was also the second time that Gawn had suffered an ACL tear. He was claimed by Melbourne at No. 34 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft on the back of his first ACL injury.
Well, the way he's been running around AAMI Park recently, no-one's forgetting about him for a while.

MFC: Gawn placed on long-term injury list

RUCKMAN Max Gawn has been placed on the long-term injury list, following an injury to his hamstring during training early in the pre-season.

Gawn will spend a minimum eight weeks on the LTI list, which ends on 22 March - a week before Melbourne's first round clash against Port Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday, 31 March 2013.

Eerily similar development to Ayce Cordy. It took until this year for Cordy (drafted in 2008) to begin to play semi-regular footy.

Even now he's held together with tape. But the signs of talent are there, as they will be with Gawn if he gets somewhat of a run at it.

Hey all,

Now that Evans has been promoted to the senior List, I've started to question whether or not Max is worth hanging on to. Don't get me wrong, I know the guy is a quality ruckman, and having him fit and firing would be fantastic for us, but he's spending more time out of the game than he'll wind up playing, and we're paying him to do so. every year it's the same thing - Max is firing, max is killing it, max is injured, max is on the LTI list. I know Evans has had injury concerns, but as it stands, he seems to be over it, where as Max just seems to be an injury magnet.

Anyway, many of you may think what I've said is stupid, many may agree to one extent or another, either way, post your thoughts without out being disrespectful, I would really like to know where everyones head is at regarding this issue.

Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 7x All-Australian, 2x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back