Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else feel ashamed when they see Thomas flopping around like a fish every time there is a hint of physical contact? If this guy had been playing during our 90's prime he would have been in the seconds until he grew a pair. Love him as a goal kicker but i feel so disappointed when i see him in our jumper being such a softy.

/Rant. Does anyone feel the same?
No it's vastly exaggerated anyway and the guy a is heart and soul player. And never mind his enormous value to the team that is even more inflated now with injuries to Nahas and Garner and poor form of Adams and Harper. Strange timing, I mean he got elbowed to the head. Closet hater?

He is not perfect, but I'd much rather have him on our side than against us. And despite some of his antics, he has my full support.
Was he hit on the chin by that elbow? I am sure he was. Was it bad enough for him to stay down for that long? Only he really knows that, but like I said, I am happy to support him and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Woweeeee.
I copped a bit of flack for my ill advised (in most peoples opinion) thread on BMac... Surely this is worse.
I can't think of a player that attacks the contest harder than LT... Maybe Levi, JZ and Spitta are in the conversation, but he is right up there.
The elbow clearly got him, and the guy is freaking lucky he didn't get more weeks.
Imo LT is still being punished for some silly flops he did years ago, umpires commentators and now seemingly supporters are dubious every time he goes to ground. The dude could get smashed with a sledgehammer and Dwayne would say "Thomas playing for a free kick, should be playing the ball".
Don't fall for it!! LT is a heart and soul kind of guy!

Annoys me sometimes when he throws his arms up at the umps when h should be focusing on th next contest but annoyed is as far as it goes!

Good call.

It's funny how different players are viewed. If it's Thomas it's staging. If it's Selwood or Bartel it's "drawing a freekick"

God you guys are precious - im not questioning his worth as a player, i just hate the soft act of playing for frees. Not just his elbow on the weekend, im talking all the time.

Good call.

It's funny how different players are viewed. If it's Thomas it's staging. If it's Selwood or Bartel it's "drawing a freekick"
Agreed. The commentators nail LT every time. them and their "playacting". Yet when it's players like Selwood it's "clever"

It definitely does cost LT though (just like it did when Boomer was called up on it a number of seasons ago) because umpires don't give him frees as often as they should.

He is a gun that gets a lot of attention - if he is over the top with letting the umps see it there so be it.

Its like the WCE duckers - you know you have to go very low when tackling - with Lindsay - if you want to touch him make sure its fair.

This is a crap thread.

Mmmm...should finish above Allison, Grant, Schimma in goals and yes be in the top 5 NMFC goalkickers.

Does not get a heap of it but is rated a top field kick as well.

Think the other bloke got 2 weeks down to 1 on the weekend.

Do you think Ben Reid and Mackie liked the hits they got in the contest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O.P you take the good with the bad. While it's frustrating at times, I will take the frustration any day of the week if he's kicking 40+ a year. It's what he gets paid to do. Anyway, in the last 2 years he has toned it down heaps. Before he looked like he was playing in the EPL.

Opposition supporters are always pot shotting him as a flopper. I can guarantee you that's just the envy talking. They'd have him on their team in a heartbeat.

I can guarantee he will retire as a 200+ gamer for North Melbourne and North Melbourne only.

Things must be in pretty good shape if this is the worst that we have to whine about. Prefer to focus on the fact that he's turned around one the worst accuracy problems the game has seen to become arguably the best small forward in the comp and almost certainly our best set shot for goal.

I remember a game around the time that his goal kicking problems were at their worst - can't remember the opponent but it was at Etihad. We were winning comfortably but LT had butchered a few gettable shots and his confidence looked completely shot. Very deep into the last qtr he took a mark about 30 out on a slight angle and wandered back nervously to take a shot that he'd kick with his eyes closed today. Sure enough the siren sounded to end the game thus removing the option of a pass to a team mate so we all stood there hoping like hell that he'd at least end the game on a personal high. But just as he was about to start his run in, the moron controlling the sound system at the ground started playing the North theme song rather than doing the player the normal courtesy of waiting for the kick. I can't remember if the shot went OOTF or might have sneaked in for a point but the fact that even the ground staff had so little confidence in his kicking that they wouldn't wait for the shot was in equal measures amusing and soul destroying.

That would have been around the time that he was dropped to the VFL but his subsequent career resurgence is an enormous credit to the bloke and a feather in Scott's cap.

Could not care less if opposition supporters / players hate him.

The guy bleeds blue and white and always gives 100%.
Yeah he does!!!
I guess the op isn't doubting that, just is pished that he "flops"... At worst this is a very minor frustration to me.

You're clutching at straws for roasts if you're gonna roast one of our best players over the past 3 years for "acting", when Selwoods etc. get applauded for it.

I love Lindsay and the way he goes about it, enjoy it while we've got it, he's seriously one of the most unique players you'll see, so stop worrying about the minor details.

NO I am proud of Lindsay Thomas. I am proud of the young man he has become. In 2008 ,at Members cocktail party, he stood beside Matty Campbell, looking like he wished he was invisible. Now I see him proudly representing the North Melb. Football Club, and his indigenous heritage, at public events. He has overcome much to become one of our best players and his love of the Club is obvious.

Sunday night was indicative of his treatment, after being elbowed in the head he was laying on on turf with an opposition playing kneeling in his back. Where was the free for the high hit or the in the back?

Umpires ignore him and the media deride him. He may overdo the staging at times but no more than the AFL “Golden Boys”. We get enough snide remarks from the media without someone purporting to be a North Supporter starting this thread.

Crap way to start a thread being "ashamed" of one of our boys.

So no I'm not ashamed. The bloke throws himself into contests with reckless disregard for his own safety and ends up with more than his fair share of heavy hits. Anyone would lie on the ground after an elbow to the head like he received on Sunday. Good to see him go and remonstrate with the elbower afterwards too. He is one of our most important players, kicks goals at crucial stages. No better example than on Sunday when everyone else was missing relatively easy shots in the first quarter. He marked, goaled and settled us down. It might sound silly but another miss at that early stage might have handed some early belief to the "Mount Buller" boys and who knows what after that.

From where I sit he takes some fearful blows and gets very little protection so deserves to be able to appeal for frees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back