Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

He regressed back to Jordie McKenzie this week.

To be honest it's better for the team if he's just doing complete grunt work tackling, pressuring, winning hard balls and just feeding handballs out to our more skilled players in the middle now (Riv, Koz, Windsor etc).

He regressed back to Jordie McKenzie this week.

To be honest it's better for the team if he's just doing complete grunt work tackling, pressuring, winning hard balls and just feeding handballs out to our more skilled players in the middle now (Riv, Koz, Windsor etc).

This is his worst season easily since his debut, I don't even really think he is doing what you've said there.

He has a preseason to get himself right but geez that contract is going to be awful for us if this is actually who he is as a player now.

Had (another) awfully ineffective game yesterday, but that's unlikely to change dramatically this year. We know Goody won't drop him so we just have to grin and bear it.

I've no doubt he can get back to his former self with a proper full pre-season if he doesn't go off the rails again. The only question is if he is mentally capable of it.

I've no doubt he can get back to his former self with a proper full pre-season
Na, said it in the Rivers thread, its not just fitness, he genuinely looks like he doesnt care out there most games, like a guy turning up to work to get paid and thats it. Ive got serious doubts the drive is still there.

Na, said it in the Rivers thread, its not just fitness, he genuinely looks like he doesnt care out there most games, like a guy turning up to work to get paid and thats it. Ive got serious doubts the drive is still there.

That's what I mean by if he is mentally capable of it. I'm not sure whether or not he can be disciplined enough to get back to his best and do it consistently.

That's what I mean by if he is mentally capable of it. I'm not sure whether or not he can be disciplined enough to get back to his best and do it consistently.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant if he would behave himself over the offseason. I think with so much money on the line he will behave himself but yeah, its just a matter of if he can be bothered putting in the extra work and doing what he used to. The energy and care factor is currently a lottery, some weeks he seems to have it but most of the time it looks like hes just going thru the motions out there.

The thing is, if Windsor had 30 touches, 6 clearances and 6 inside 50's @70% efficiency we'd all be frothing and saying 'we've found one', 'give him the rising star now!' etc. Conversely if Oliver had 13 touches at 62% efficiency we'd be calling for him to be dropped. The double standards is crazy. And people put Windsor in the votes? No idea what game people were watching but we need to rate peoples games based on what they produce and not factor in expected performance.
:eyes:

Oh sorry, I thought you meant if he would behave himself over the offseason. I think with so much money on the line he will behave himself but yeah, its just a matter of if he can be bothered putting in the extra work and doing what he used to. The energy and care factor is currently a lottery, some weeks he seems to have it but most of the time it looks like hes just going thru the motions out there.

I meant a bit of both tbh. Watching him out there I just really can't figure out where his mind is at.

A classic Dan quote. Howtheturntableshaveturned.gif

I think my favourite this year from Dan was when he was arguing Windsor had it easy on the wing in a, and I quote "juicy outside role"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that's true at all, to me he looks like he is trying he just isn't impacting anymore.
Nah I don't agree with that, getting pushed off the footy and not sticking tackles now. He's not 100% committed

Nah I don't agree with that, getting pushed off the footy and not sticking tackles now. He's not 100% committed
You might be right, but to say he's 100% not committed there's no way you can know that for sure. He could be lacking in confidence who knows. I think we could both agree he needs to get dropped doesn't matter about the reason.

You might be right, but to say he's 100% not committed there's no way you can know that for sure. He could be lacking in confidence who knows. I think we could both agree he needs to get dropped doesn't matter about the reason.
Yeah of course, but not like he's starting games well and drifting or starting quarters well and drifting. He looks shit from the opening bounce and he doesn't fight through tackles anymore just accepts them. Just don't think his heads in it to be the best clearance player in the league.

Can’t handle a tag , doesn’t look like he can run a game out either, gone back to just no look throwing it on his boot again . Doubt he gets dropped .

Looks like he turned up for the first few weeks with something to prove but has been pretty sheepish ever since he injured his hand. Goodwin would have you believe he's 'building' up to his best form again but that's really the opposite of what the eye tells you.

As I said in another thread I would drop him and tell him to get himself proper fit over the next month and a bit, not only for his fitness but to force him to get some hunger back.

Yeah of course, but not like he's starting games well and drifting or starting quarters well and drifting. He looks shit from the opening bounce and he doesn't fight through tackles anymore just accepts them. Just don't think his heads in it to be the best clearance player in the league.
Basically running at 2 sparrows now.

He was hungry last week against Brisbane and we smacked them in clearance, this week he was awful and we got smacked. Not a coincidence imo, we need him switched on to carry us in that department.

He was hungry last week against Brisbane and we smacked them in clearance, this week he was awful and we got smacked. Not a coincidence imo, we need him switched on to carry us in that department.
Last week we lost this week we won by 50 lol clearances in isolation mean nothing especially Oliver's skyball clearances

Last week we played a top 4 team away and choked, this week we played a bottom 2 team at home. I don't think we will make finals, but if we are going to we can't be losing centre clearance by 8+.

Last week we played a top 4 team away and choked, this week we played a bottom 2 team at home. I don't think we will make finals, but if we are going to we can't be losing centre clearance by 8+.
Richmond won 3 flags losing centre clearance. It doesn't matter. Collingwood were also an average clearance team

Richmond won 3 flags losing centre clearance. It doesn't matter. Collingwood were also an average clearance team
We literally won a flag because of centre clearance and our team is based around being strong there. Teams are allowed to be successful in different ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back