Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

We literally won a flag because of centre clearance and our team is based around being strong there. Teams are allowed to be successful in different ways.
Which includes our own team, the last few years have shown just winning clearances has led to us winning exactly 0 finals.

Not all clearances are equal. We've struggled to match that minute of glory for best part of 3 seasons.
Quality of clearances much more important than quantity. Ditto inside 50s.
No team might ever match that, all the momentum was going one way against a team that refused to defend the back of the stoppage. There's good reason it's never happened since, it was everything falling into place at once.

No team might ever match that, all the momentum was going one way against a team that refused to defend the back of the stoppage. There's good reason it's never happened since, it was everything falling into place at once.
I this is key, you would think after the first one they would have learnt. Terrible defending from the doggies.

Maybe. But it all happened in less than a minute. Libba, Bont, Macrae are senior players. One of them should have suggested going defensive after it happened the first time. Get to 3qt only a couple goals behind.
Their senior players couldn’t stop it , anyway that’s their history. The Oliver we are seeing now probably has enough credits according to the coach to stay in the team . I think this is the Oliver we will see for the rest of the season , it’s up to him to get serious next pre-season . If he is going to pull a big game out of his backside this one would be a good time to do it . I am yet to be enthused by him .

Maybe. But it all happened in less than a minute. Libba, Bont, Macrae are senior players. One of them should have suggested going defensive after it happened the first time. Get to 3qt only a couple goals behind.
Nah Dogs still defend clearances horribly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are an attacking side. Live and die by the sword I guess.
You can be an attacking side and still know when to pull those defensive triggers. That's what made Collingwood so good last year.

Same thing the other way. Defensive units have to risk giving up a bit every so often to put on a score.

Had (another) awfully ineffective game yesterday, but that's unlikely to change dramatically this year. We know Goody won't drop him so we just have to grin and bear it.

I've no doubt he can get back to his former self with a proper full pre-season if he doesn't go off the rails again. The only question is if he is mentally capable of it.
1720769983603.jpeg

Conversely if Oliver had 13 touches at 62% efficiency we'd be calling for him to be dropped. The double standards is crazy.
Not really.
We expect and should expect that a player is giving they're all in effort, and buy in.

This ability level differs from player to player. But the requirement applies to all. Form Notwithstanding.

Watching the Kozzy documentary, geez the club really has gone into overdrive to give Oliver some good PR.
And that’s fine. But if they think him being a good or bad bloke makes a squat of difference while he’s playing like a shit campaigner, they’re off their tree.

And that’s fine. But if they think him being a good or bad bloke makes a squat of difference while he’s playing like a shit campaigner, they’re off their tree.
Paying him 800k to be a good bloke and 200k for his play. Great contract.

yeah of course. I agree with everything you said but let's not pretend that Windsor's game was better than Oliver's . that's crazy talk. But was it better given his age ans experience? yes, probably.
But if someone has a obsessive hard on for an orange headed midfielder, then there cannot be resolution to the argument.

but has been pretty sheepish ever since he injured his hand.
Interesting you say that, because he's been pretending to tackle... and to get to the opponent to defend... or to smother especially, ever since he returned to playing following the broken hand last year.

And with those efforts, Fritz has also followed suit... the timing is interesting. and one followed the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back