Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

A moot point for at least half the season, but I think his long term role is down back in defence. (although some would say he’s terrible with The Fence).

I know I know he was AA and that but I think his footy awareness down back is > than in the midfield.

And with Sheldrick and Rowy pushing for AA this year, he wouldn’t get back in anyway.

Last edited:
I'm glad he's kept the position. Unlike many, I like the fact he's willing to muck around with his team mates, especially the younger guys. Shows he's not aloof and one of the boys. I think leaders who take this approach are more successful. It was just unfortunate he got injured. I wonder who will fill in whilst he's out? Most probably a combo of the old firm of Rampe and Parker with one of Heeney or Papley.

After the overly dramatic chicken little cries after he hurt his should I'm really enjoying the double down from the Swans and the team.
It is something we do well as a club IMO - not panicking.

Backing ourselves in going to the draft over trading when we were in the bottom four; backing Horse in when we had a few lean years.

I think calmness at the top bleeds into the rest of the club as confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is that Parker will be stand-in skipper but I'm VERY interested in who will be vice-captain(s). He (or they) will probably be announced at the same time closer to the season start, also the leadership group, assuming that that structure remains the same.

My guess is that Parker will be stand-in skipper but I'm VERY interested in who will be vice-captain(s). He (or they) will probably be announced at the same time closer to the season start, also the leadership group, assuming that that structure remains the same.

Papley will be one of them I think.

I think they will move on from Parker and Rampe and neither will be acting captain in the first half.

i think this is a hint that parker and rampe will have reduced on-field roles generally, which makes sense as they're well into the later stages of their careers
and i very much agree with ticky re the chicken little stuff

Papley will be one of them I think.

I think they will move on from Parker and Rampe and neither will be acting captain in the first half.
I don't mind giving the job solely to Paps. He has a great ability to lift the team and I can only imagine his passion would go to extreme levels as captain.

Had kings (sole captains) for years and it didn't work out so switched to having multiple consuls (co-captains). Won two punic wars with it (2005, 2012). Now we're switching back to a solo king.

So basically we're the Roman Empire and we're about to conquer the world.

“I think I’ve learnt a lot about myself over the period and as a leader as well,” Mills said. “I obviously made a mistake, but I think I’m not going to let it define me, and I’ll be able to lead the group the best I can. It’s been a big couple of months. I’m really looking forward to the future.”
“Yeah, it runs through your mind when you make mistakes, that definitely runs through your mind,” Mills said. “But as I go back to the conversations that I had with Horse [John Longmire], the support I felt from the club, [from] board down, it was something that was quite reassuring and when you make a mistake, to have people that have your back is extremely important.”

Mills was told by Rampe a week ago that he and Parker were stepping down as captains and that he saw him as the man to lead the club into the 2024 season

Some of us, including myself, bang on a lot about the multiple captains thing, but I suppose one benefit of it is being able to have two captains come together and agree that their successor is ready. It's sort of an extra vote of confidence in a way.

Pretty Good radio interview this evening with Ramps. He and Parker will lead the team until Mills is back. Spoke of how McVeigh and JPK stepped aside to give him an opportunity. Backed Mills 100% and said the whole speculation about him losing captaincy was never within the 4 walls.

Classy stuff.

“I think I’ve learnt a lot about myself over the period and as a leader as well,” Mills said. “I obviously made a mistake, but I think I’m not going to let it define me, and I’ll be able to lead the group the best I can. It’s been a big couple of months. I’m really looking forward to the future.”
“Yeah, it runs through your mind when you make mistakes, that definitely runs through your mind,” Mills said. “But as I go back to the conversations that I had with Horse [John Longmire], the support I felt from the club, [from] board down, it was something that was quite reassuring and when you make a mistake, to have people that have your back is extremely important.”

Mills was told by Rampe a week ago that he and Parker were stepping down as captains and that he saw him as the man to lead the club into the 2024 season
It's a shame because I had always wanted to see Rampe lift the cup.

Pretty Good radio interview this evening with Ramps. He and Parker will lead the team until Mills is back. Spoke of how McVeigh and JPK stepped aside to give him an opportunity. Backed Mills 100% and said the whole speculation about him losing captaincy was never within the 4 walls.

Classy stuff.

What station?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back