Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

What a glut of talent they had. Were able to offload JPK and Buddy, who are two of the greatest players to play for the swans. And still managed to 3-peat.

Quite amazing what they achieved.

Got the draft right, ripped Freo off then nailed the other clubs older pick ups.

Guess if we win Grundy, Adams, Jordon are like Hale, Gibson etc

Everyone was still playing the ruck maul contested football they were way ahead with their kicking skills.

If the dockers don't trade them Pick one wonder how they go

It was a response to someone putting Mills in the same sentence as JPK. I'm saying he doesn't belong in any conversation relating to JPK.
Great point, if only it had any relevance to the point I was making. I don't think anyone believes Mills is a better player than JPK.

The point I was making is in response to the popular sentiment at the moment which is to seemingly write off Mills as captain on the basis of a month of poor performances.

The reality is that every single beloved Swans captain over the past 2 decades has overseen some terrible performances.

Goodes was captain in 2010 when the team was embarrassed at the MCG by basketcase era Melbourne to the tune of 73 points and dropping games to perennial non-finalists Richmond at the time.
Jack and McVeigh were the captains in the 2014 GF debacle.
JPK was captain when the team scored 39 points in a 62 point semi-final shellacking by Geelong, then the next year were only scored 30 points at the SCG when GWS knocked us out of finals in 2018.
Then the first two years Rampe and Parker joined JPK as co-captains we had consecutive bottom 4 finishes.

Given his predecessors don't have their leadership credentials dismissed because the team goes through periods of bad form, I think we can wait a while longer before writing off Mills. Bad Sydney performances were not invented when Mills was named captain.

Great point, if only it had any relevance to the point I was making. I don't think anyone believes Mills is a better player than JPK.

The point I was making is in response to the popular sentiment at the moment which is to seemingly write off Mills as captain on the basis of a month of poor performances.

The reality is that every single beloved Swans captain over the past 2 decades has overseen some terrible performances.

Goodes was captain in 2010 when the team was embarrassed at the MCG by basketcase era Melbourne to the tune of 73 points and dropping games to perennial non-finalists Richmond at the time.
JPK was captain when the team scored 39 points in a 62 point semi-final shellacking by Geelong, then the next year were only scored 30 points at the SCG when GWS knocked us out of finals in 2018.
Then the first two years Rampe and Parker joined JPK as co-captains we had consecutive bottom 4 finishes.

Given his predecessors don't have their leadership credentials dismissed because the team goes through periods of bad form, I think we can wait a while longer before writing off Mills. Bad Sydney performances were not invented when Mills was named captain.
As captain he is this teams leader. As leader if he's willing to jump the queue and come straight back into the team without any VFL footy under his belt then that's just plain selfishness.
Parker had to wait his turn and bide his time in the seconds for the sake of the team.
Why didn't Mills do the same?
Even if it was horse pushing for him to get back in the side as the captain he should've put the team first and said he's not up to the level yet and needs match fitness. You can't tell me that if his name was Wicks or Campbell he would still be in this team right now.
I don't have a problem with him playing. At this point the damage is already done so might as well get him match fit for finals. I hate the message that it sends. If you are one of the teachers pets you get preferential treatment. If we aren't then you can have the table scraps.

I think Mills just lacks that burst of power and acceleration to be really damaging as a mid, especially with his history of soft tissue injuries.

Fair point, and sorry, I wasn't trying to target you or anything, so apologies if it came across that way.

Mills may be a great captain. I reserve my judgement on that. And I'm not taking his 2024 form into consideration. He's obviously been rushed back and is underdone after such a long lay-off and will take time to get the feel for the game. But neither he nor the coaches could have predicted how ineffectual he'd be upon return, so whatever. You have to back one of your better players (and captain) to come into form and play his best footy in finals. So that's what they're banking on. And let's hope that's how it pans out. Should be sufficient time for Mills to find touch and be able to impact matches.

If Mills were any kind of Captain he would drop himself this week and give us a chance to win the game.
While I think he should have played at least two games in the VFL before coming back into seniors, I think he showed a lot more this week and feel he now needs to keep playing so (hopefully) he's back to his peak come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a glut of talent they had. Were able to offload JPK and Buddy, who are two of the greatest players to play for the swans. And still managed to 3-peat.

Quite amazing what they achieved.
Hawthorn's genius was trading out first round draft picks from 2010-2014 for proven talent during an era of compromised drafts from the expansion initiative. Regardless of whether that was great foresight or just fortunate opportunism the end product resulted in Hale, Gunston, Lake, McEvoy (and Frawley through free agency) joining their footy club. All were masterful acquisitions that timed extremely well with Buddy's contract expiring so that they could fit them all within their salary cap.

I'm sure Callum Mills would also be very impressed with such shrewd list management ;)

People are getting a bit too stuck into him for my liking.

He’s our captain and he’s been out of action for months. He’s rusty but his love for his club is so clear. He will get his mojo back soon and then another rest just before our push for a prelim and a grand final will come right at the best time.

I’d bet he’ll have a blinder of a prelim if we make it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are getting a bit too stuck into him for my liking.

He’s our captain and he’s been out of action for months. He’s rusty but his love for his club is so clear. He will get his mojo back soon and then another rest just before our push for a prelim and a grand final will come right at the best time.

I’d bet he’ll have a blinder of a prelim if we make it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a good fourth quarter v Pies. Backing him in to start hitting form and having a big finals series. Gun at his best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back