Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

He should have come back through the reserves but the past is the past.

As others have noted, he contributed meaningfully in defence in the last quarter and our defence has been as shaky as all heck. For the first time, he can start on merit since coming back.

However, if he starts again on a wing / in the mids again, I’ll more than a little perplexed. Mills can think about mids next year after a proper pre-season.

People are getting a bit too stuck into him for my liking.

He’s our captain and he’s been out of action for months. He’s rusty but his love for his club is so clear. He will get his mojo back soon and then another rest just before our push for a prelim and a grand final will come right at the best time.

I’d bet he’ll have a blinder of a prelim if we make it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY love for the club I've supported for 40 years is clear. Should I get a game?
193 cm & 98 kg, can put the frighteners on a few peahearts in the opposition & I guarantee you I'm getting more clearances than Mills if selected. Though I might be limited to 20% ToG and then dropping dead in getting them.

Actually forget it, if I'm going to die for the Swans make it at the SCG or MCG, nobody wants to die at Marvel.
Call me Horse.

He should have come back through the reserves but the past is the past.

As others have noted, he contributed meaningfully in defence in the last quarter and our defence has been as shaky as all heck. For the first time, he can start on merit since coming back.

However, if he starts again on a wing / in the mids again, I’ll more than a little perplexed. Mills can think about mids next year after a proper pre-season.
You've nailed it here. Had a purple patch in the midfield in 2022, but his bones were made in the backline and that's where he can best contribute to this side.

Looked instantly more comfortable in the 4th when he went back.

Come back fitter and stronger next season and let's see.

You've nailed it here. Had a purple patch in the midfield in 2022, but his bones were made in the backline and that's where he can best contribute to this side.

Looked instantly more comfortable in the 4th when he went back.

Come back fitter and stronger next season and let's see.
Yep, Mills back and Parks mid 😘

What Horse said:

On Callum Mills’ form

“It’s to be expected. No matter how good a player you are, it's a tough game to play. He's still got an enormous presence in our team without necessarily having to do it through kicks, marks and handballs. He's still a vital member of our team and the way he leads the team is so critical. He sees the game so well. He gets stuff done.”

What Horse said:

On Callum Mills’ form

“It’s to be expected. No matter how good a player you are, it's a tough game to play. He's still got an enormous presence in our team without necessarily having to do it through kicks, marks and handballs. He's still a vital member of our team and the way he leads the team is so critical. He sees the game so well. He gets stuff done.”
I really hope Horse bites the bullet and plays him mostly off half back for at least the next two games. His last quarter showed that his contribution play-wise was greater and his fitness will pick up. Given that we should be playing a spare anyway that should suit him really well.

What Horse said:

On Callum Mills’ form

Surprised Horse didn't say he was a useless piece of shit and always had been , like some here think 😂

Pardon the interruption. What do you think the chances are of him having a big game against the Bombers? Is it just his match fitness that has been an issue? If any team is a chance to play him back into form it’s the Bombers. Got a big fantasy draft decision to make.

Pardon the interruption. What do you think the chances are of him having a big game against the Bombers? Is it just his match fitness that has been an issue? If any team is a chance to play him back into form it’s the Bombers. Got a big fantasy draft decision to make.

Guarantee he will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a fantasy thread

Get Stringer in. He always has a massive game against us, no matter how crap his form is.

MY love for the club I've supported for 40 years is clear. Should I get a game?
193 cm & 98 kg, can put the frighteners on a few peahearts in the opposition & I guarantee you I'm getting more clearances than Mills if selected. Though I might be limited to 20% ToG and then dropping dead in getting them.

Actually forget it, if I'm going to die for the Swans make it at the SCG or MCG, nobody wants to die at Marvel.
Call me Horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still far from his best, but was influential tonight - he brings a high level of calmness into the backline. Hopefully his form can build from here, and he can start to make a difference in the midfield group.

I reckon he will be really well placed to have a big finals series for us - assuming he gets through next week well, he should be feeling confident again in his footy and starting to feel like he is in the 'prime' part of a season - where you feel good and strong and match fit, before you get worn down as the season grinds on.

Still far from his best, but was influential tonight - he brings a high level of calmness into the backline. Hopefully his form can build from here, and he can start to make a difference in the midfield group.

I reckon he will be really well placed to have a big finals series for us - assuming he gets through next week well, he should be feeling confident again in his footy and starting to feel like he is in the 'prime' part of a season - where you feel good and strong and match fit, before you get worn down as the season grinds on.
26 disposals at 89% efficiency "yeah he was alright'

Tough crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back