Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

He was good early. That contest in defensive 50 was a shocker though, he actually would have got the ball first but he pulled.up because he didn't want to take contact
Just had to take the ball and wear a tackle. We aren't talking Jonathan Brown level running back with the flight here. You cannot allow that sort of effort on the ground when other players are taking hits. Not only is it inexcusable that is potentially cancerous behaviour. That was not a dangerous moment, he is not 18 and I think that's borderline career definining behaviour. If it can't be coached out then he will not player long term.

They gained massive advantage by picking it up uncontested. He just needed to put the body on and try to make it a ball up, it was pathetic.
It certainly was at a minimum cringeworty. When your pressure is tracking at 180 and yo have jackson archer running through brick walls for 1 percenters the law simply has to be laid down.

Just had to take the ball and wear a tackle. We aren't talking Jonathan Brown level running back with the flight here. You cannot allow that sort of effort on the ground when other players are taking hits. Not only is it inexcusable that is potentially cancerous behaviour. That was not a dangerous moment, he is not 18 and I think that's borderline career definining behaviour. If it can't be coached out then he will not player long term.
I would have even been satisfied if he attempted a deflection. But standing there crapping ones pants isnt a good look.

I would have even been satisfied if he attempted a deflection. But standing there crapping ones pants isnt a good look.
That's it yeah? I don't need him to be Cam Zurhaar. He had multiple options - a Lmac style nothing take the ball and get wrapped up, barrel through it (lol) and make them earn the ball either way, find a long shot outlet option and at least attempt to punch it towards our forward line even if 0% chance of it working. He chose the only option that meant that we had zero chance of getting the ball. Can't be allowed.

It shall forever be known as "the squib at half forward" and we're gonna compare poor play to it for decades.
That makes him the official, undisputed whipping boy I suppose.

I probably said it a dozen times today that Archer is just guts personified and I reckon Chom could have potentially broken himself with his selfless diving efforts with no obvious intent of self preservation which demonstrate his courage to the max. I can also see how the outside blokes will almost always prefer to stay upright though and I reckon that's their instruction.

Anyway, I get the concern - none of us want to see a player concede a contest. If you can't win it then try to halve it. If that's impossible do your best to put the opponent under pressure and even at least make him earn what he took from you.

At the end of the game today I was more interested in celebrating the win than anything else!

Maybe it was a rello? Just trying to give benefit of the doubt.

Nah the kid caught it clean.

(Yes that was mean The Filth Wizard).

Tossed a footy to a teenager wearing a Swans guernsey when the players were doing the boundary crowd celebrations post game. Just felt a bit wrong when there are little kids in North jumpers hanging over the fence desperate for some love.
This is terrible.

That makes him the official, undisputed whipping boy I suppose.

I probably said it a dozen times today that Archer is just guts personified and I reckon Chom could have potentially broken himself with his selfless diving efforts with no obvious intent of self preservation which demonstrate his courage to the max. I can also see how the outside blokes will almost always prefer to stay upright though and I reckon that's their instruction.

Anyway, I get the concern - none of us want to see a player concede a contest. If you can't win it then try to halve it. If that's impossible do your best to put the opponent under pressure and even at least make him earn what he took from you.

At the end of the game today I was more interested in celebrating the win than anything else!
Got light years to go before he eclipses ccj as my whipping boy, fwiw his injuiry has done wonders for my RSI.

Not sure how this bloke can look his teammates in the eye after that particular effort.

You have players literally putting themselves in harms way to win a game of footy and then you have this absolute squib of an effort.

If Clarko is setting standards, as harsh as it is, he calls this out during the game review and demands better.

Back to the VFL until you can prove to your teammates that you want it as much as they do.

I only saw the one replay on the big screen but I suspect the camera angle didn't do him any favours in that he didn't have direct access to the ball and would have been blocked even if he'd cracked in. But still, he had to make the effort if only for the optics.
He absolutely had access to the ball and pulled up to avoid winning it first and being tackled.

He absolutely had access to the ball and pulled up to avoid winning it first and being tackled.

It didn’t look great, but benefit of the doubt - I suspect we’ll see more of those situations across the league if umpires are red hot on holding the ball and this players second guess whether to get there first or second. Absolutely needs to just go next time, but I don’t think it was necessary a ‘Josh Rachelle’ type squib.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep he’s a 🐱 . Can never ever change him.
Cost us a goal with that squib.
Glad he was subbed off.
Make an example of it although it said he was “injured” subbed out ?!
Needs to be dropped for Wardlaw next week, even Taylor goes when he needs to.

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back