Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

One things for sure, he was significantly better than the complete dross he was serving up at the start of the year.

Depth pushes the standards of a club.

He got to the right spots which was a start.

There was a period for a few months ago I reckon he was hiding in pockets running to and from areas he wasn’t likely to get it.

He needs to address his decision making and composure.

He’s a deer in the headlights every time he’s under pressure or has to make a tough decision.

Some of those kicks and decisions in the last qtr 🤦‍♂️

He's not very good but I'll give him some time to find his feet. The coach probably needs to back him in having recruited him before he dumps him back to the twos as it'd probably shatter his confidence.
I'd rather Hardemann or Colby long term and don't understand why he fresh airs the ball off the ground instead of taking the ball over the boundary line for another stoppage. Goes straight to Dees and they get an entry.
You would've thought the Swans would teach that shiz. And Curtis Taylor did the same thing with two Dees there.
Maybe they think they'll get done for insufficient intent.

Upon watching the reply, I thought he was much better than when I was watching live.
He had 2 hack kicks in the last qtr… one out of a pack straight to 3 Melbourne players & then ran himself into trouble, panicked & hacked a kick forward.
Apart from those 2 howlers he was very good… he provided a lot of run (which you should if sub late in the match) & apart from the aforementioned errors, he was very efficient & gave us plenty of drive.
He clearly does he best work in open space.
We (& he) just need to utilise his strengths.

Upon watching the reply, I thought he was much better than when I was watching live.
He had 2 hack kicks in the last qtr… one out of a pack straight to 3 Melbourne players & then ran himself into trouble, panicked & hacked a kick forward.
Apart from those 2 howlers he was very good… he provided a lot of run (which you should if sub late in the match) & apart from the aforementioned errors, he was very efficient & gave us plenty of drive.
He clearly does he best work in open space.
We (& he) just need to utilise his strengths.
Came to the same conclusion. Didn't look convincing watching from the stands.

Watched the replay, was integral in a few plays. Plays next week.

I can’t recall a softer player to come out of the Sydney system EVER. Body on the line is generally part of the bloods fabric, so I’m surprised he lasted that long up there.

We absolutely overpaid for him too. I know it’s moot and never used but he was the perfect candidate for the PSD.
IMG_3708.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he is such a dilemma for me, definitely cat like tendencies but also has bursts of immense productivity.
Yeah, can see why they got him. If he can just be a bit gutsier round the ball he'll be a gun. He wasn't bad apart from that play and a couple of times he couldn't make a tackle. They weren't great either. Other wise he did well and played a useful role.

Yeah, can see why they got him. If he can just be a bit gutsier round the ball he'll be a gun. He wasn't bad apart from that play and a couple of times he couldn't make a tackle. They weren't great either. Other wise he did well and played a useful role.
the squib on the wing was cringeworthy,

Getting subbed was the final torpedo into the sub.

He got off to a good start but he needs to put his body on the line.

the squib on the wing was cringeworthy,
That's the play. Realistically if what he brings makes up for those weak efforts he's worth keeping but that sort of effort is a massive weakness when we get to finals.

That's the play. Realistically if what he brings makes up for those weak efforts he's worth keeping but that sort of effort is a massive weakness when we get to finals.
I'd go one step further, I think it's an outright toxic trait for a player in the 18th placed team. Balls deep into the game, absolutely winnable, we need reward after a month of effort, and then he did that. Too hard. Don't want to risk getting hurt. I'll just let the other bloke get it.

He was already on his second chance for the year and had to be aware of what the non-negotiables for himself were.

I'd go one step further, I think it's an outright toxic trait for a player in the 18th placed team. Balls deep into the game, absolutely winnable, we need reward after a month of effort, and then he did that. Too hard. Don't want to risk getting hurt. I'll just let the other bloke get it.

He was already on his second chance for the year and had to be aware of what the non-negotiables for himself were.
The problem was it wasn't even a hard ask. Just a bog standard hard-ball get and he shirked it. Grit the teeth and go for it young fella!

He is ok but he is scared of the contest

We can’t have that in our team. I don’t understand why Curtis Taylor wasn’t in instead

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back