Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Tossed a footy to a teenager wearing a Swans guernsey when the players were doing the boundary crowd celebrations post game. Just felt a bit wrong when there are little kids in North jumpers hanging over the fence desperate for some love.
That's not a great look. Perhaps he thought the Swans kid was wearing his number and came to see him or he copped a fair bit of abuse for that squib and wasn't too happy with the feedback lol?

Harsh on him. Can’t really go crashing in front on anymore these days

probably needs to turn the body side-on while going for the ball? but even still a slight mis-execution gets him 3 weeks .. (which doesn’t help his career either)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU said this after the game:

“I hope North fans and the footy world can see we’ve turned out game around from the first half of the year and that’s what we’re sticking with,” North Melbourne star Luke Davies-Uniacke said on Fox Footy after Saturday’s win over the Suns.

“It’s contest and pressure footy.”

If that's the brand we want to play, Stephens just had to make more of a contest there. He doesn't have to be Glenn Archer all the time, but he does have to go when it's his turn.

LDU said this after the game:

If that's the brand we want to play, Stephens just had to make more of a contest there. He doesn't have to be Glenn Archer all the time, but he does have to go when it's his turn.
He's clearly very much an outside player. Hopefully over time he sees everyone going in hard and realises...shit I probably need to suck it up and do it for the team.

Definitely has a skillset we need, now just have to see if he totally buys in.

Havey did, difference is that he made a judgement call that more often than not left him in a position to still win the ball or the play - he didn't just stop and concede the play.
Yeah, there's a difference between waiting on the outside and shitting your daks and coming to a complete stop a couple of metres from the ball when you see the oncoming opposition. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any Boomer squibs

It doesn't look as bad as it did during the game. Still not great and cost us a goal.

A 4 second clip doesn't look as bad as it did in real time in context at the ground.

He shirked it.

The reason it is being savaged is because there is a clear trend with this stuff and people gravitate towards the negative.

How many close losses have we had? We have to fight for every inch we get. Why people find it hard to deal with is that is opting not to fight for that inch.

He doesn't need to be the most physical player on the ground, but he needs to improve to be able to contest, especially in that part of the ground.

A 4 second clip doesn't look as bad as it did in real time in context at the ground.

He shirked it.

The reason it is being savaged is because there is a clear trend with this stuff and people gravitate towards the negative.

How many close losses have we had? We have to fight for every inch we get. Why people find it hard to deal with is that is opting not to fight for that inch.

He doesn't need to be the most physical player on the ground, but he needs to improve to be able to contest, especially in that part of the ground.
I agree. I hope he's embarrassed by that on the review.

It doesn't look as bad as it did during the game. Still not great and cost us a goal.
I only watched on TV, but I thought it looked bad in the live moment, and worse on replay. He took his eyes off the ball and pulled up so hard you could see the smoke from his brakes. All he had to do was attack the ball, can't see how he would have given away a free kick, but even if he did it's no worse than allowing Clohsey to hit up Long 30m out directly in front.

I only watched on TV, but I thought it looked bad in the live moment, and worse on replay. He took his eyes off the ball and pulled up so hard you could see the smoke from his brakes. All he had to do was attack the ball, can't see how he would have given away a free kick, but even if he did it's no worse than allowing Clohsey to hit up Long 30m out directly in front.
My memory of it watching the game was he basically ran away from the contest.

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back