AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody said Stewart was getting dropped, just purely stating that if Lav were to come in (whenever that is), it's likely it would be for Stewart.

No, I seriously doubt they would drop Stewart - but if Laverde keeps playing the way he did on the weekend, it would happen sooner rather than later.
Fair enough.

My point still stands though. Stewart would need to be injured for him to be out. Woosha is building a team for the future and I would say that Stewart is definitely part of that.

I think that Laverde will be on a similar journey to Langford and that is one of expanding his game.

He should be rewarded for playing well at VFL level no doubt, but not at the expense of senior team structures. I like the club doesn't see the VFL as a punishment but as an opportunity to learn and develop. If he can continue to add strings to his game then it's going to add far more to the side than him coming in and being a role player. Guys like Langers and Laverde need to make the next step and take the club forward.

Every yaco post in this thread is about how Laverde won't be an inside mid.

Stop repeating yourself, the world knows how you feel on the matter.
but the weird part is he just keeps repeating that he's poor below his knees without actually evidencing that in any way. let alone the assumption that all good inside mids are great below their knees (they aren't).

Every yaco post in this thread is about how Laverde won't be an inside mid.

Stop repeating yourself, the world knows how you feel on the matter.

I said this last year.

Nobody said Stewart was getting dropped, just purely stating that if Lav were to come in (whenever that is), it's likely it would be for Stewart.

No, I seriously doubt they would drop Stewart - but if Laverde keeps playing the way he did on the weekend, it would happen sooner rather than later.
I think what it does is gives us the opportunity to get some kilometers in his legs and make sure he's in top condition before he comes back in while putting pressure on Stewart to keep performing at a high level.

I think what it does is gives us the opportunity to get some kilometers in his legs and make sure he's in top condition before he comes back in while putting pressure on Stewart to keep performing at a high level.

What a world it is when Stewart is the one under pressure. He ought to be selected as the small forward. Sets up goals, kicks them (usually) and puts on the most pressure of any of the forwards.

If we're holding out on Laverde it's so that he can run out a game rather than plodding around the forward half.

I would play both Lavarde and Stewart.

I've noticed a few times Green be out positioned by bigger bodies, that shouldn't happen so much with Lavarde

Green has been deadset average all year. He just doesn't get enough of the ball, averaging just 10 disposals per game this year and has only kicked 3 goals in the last 5 games.

Laverde is an explosive freak who matches Green for speed and agility whilst also providing an aerial threat. Bring the boy in.

Needs another week. I know 6.2 sounds impressive but the team they played is winless and hopeless.

Another solid hit out next week and he comes in. Is quicker, bigger, stronger than Green. Hands are similar below the knees which needs improvement.
100% comes in for green although I'd bring him in this week give him a soft start against norf

Green has been deadset average all year. He just doesn't get enough of the ball, averaging just 10 disposals per game this year and has only kicked 3 goals in the last 5 games.

Laverde is an explosive freak who matches Green for speed and agility whilst also providing an aerial threat. Bring the boy in.
average you think? He's been good, but i probably wouldn't have him the 11th best player.

Which is why I mentioned Green because Stewart deserves to stay in and both him and Lavarde look the stronger combination that one of them with Green

Green has had several good games.

average you think? He's been good, but i probably wouldn't have him the 11th best player.

Yep, average. What's he bring to the team? Because he sure ain't getting the ball or kicking enough goals.

And don't say forward pressure because he is ranked 17th this year for tackles, equal with Stewart, who is 198cm.
(Stewart also averages more disposals, goals, marks, contested+uncontested possessions, disposal efficiency, inside 50's, goal assists and he's even averaging more bloody bounces per game)

Yep, average. What's he bring to the team? Because he sure ain't getting the ball or kicking enough goals.

And don't say forward pressure because he is ranked 17th this year for tackles, equal with Stewart, who is 198cm.
(Stewart also averages more disposals, goals, marks, contested+uncontested possessions, disposal efficiency, inside 50's, goal assists and he's even averaging more bloody bounces per game)
forward pressure

CED69D06-7266-49C7-9D44-50A076808EB3-6114-000009B1C81C6795.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way he comes in for Stewart. Stewart is a genuine forward. Laverde has tricks up forward but is a mid who can play as a medium forward. As good as Danger was yesterday if his leg is ok he'll br playing midfield next week.

Similarly with Laverde. If he plays VFL over the next month there will be plenty of midfield minutes there. If he plays AFL he is a developing mid in the forward line, like Heppell on a back flank or Zerret in a forward pocket.

He is as quick as Green and can offer as much pressure, in fact having him focus on forward pressure will develop his defensive game in the future. Having him push high up the ground and try to beat his opponent back to attacking 50 will help develop attacking midfiled tricks.

I personally think that having 3 small forwards is over kill. The 6th spot should be part of midfield rotation, where 3 or 4 mids go through there. Swapping between Colyer Begley Laverde and Langford would give us looks at many different shapped forward lines and backlines.

Daniher and Bellchambers being able to pinch hit for the other, Goddard playing anywhere, Hooker being able to play either end, McGrath capable of midfield and Heppell and Myers able to play back gives our team ridiculously good flexibility. This has major advantages. One is that a coach can throw the magnets around if the team needs a kick in the pants and not fear too much.

Next year if Francis can slot in for Kelly, he is capable of playing either end, and if Ambrose can add a midfield tagging string to his bow then it'll further increase this.

No way he comes in for Stewart. Stewart is a genuine forward. Laverde has tricks up forward but is a mid who can play as a medium forward. As good as Danger was yesterday if his leg is ok he'll br playing midfield next week.

Similarly with Laverde. If he plays VFL over the next month there will be plenty of midfield minutes there. If he plays AFL he is a developing mid in the forward line, like Heppell on a back flank or Zerret in a forward pocket.

He is as quick as Green and can offer as much pressure, in fact having him focus on forward pressure will develop his defensive game in the future. Having him push high up the ground and try to beat his opponent back to attacking 50 will help develop attacking midfiled tricks.

I personally think that having 3 small forwards is over kill. The 6th spot should be part of midfield rotation, where 3 or 4 mids go through there. Swapping between Colyer Begley Laverde and Langford would give us looks at many different shapped forward lines and backlines.

Daniher and Bellchambers being able to pinch hit for the other, Goddard playing anywhere, Hooker being able to play either end, McGrath capable of midfield and Heppell and Myers able to play back gives our team ridiculously good flexibility. This has major advantages. One is that a coach can throw the magnets around if the team needs a kick in the pants and not fear too much.

Next year if Francis can slot in for Kelly, he is capable of playing either end, and if Ambrose can add a midfield tagging string to his bow then it'll further increase this.

On Lavarde being forward, it frees up Fanta to go into the middle as he has shown he is very good at creating clearances out of the middle.

Stewart stays in. Ridiculous to think somebody would be demoted for playing well.

Laverde has to wait for a spot to open up. We complain about depth and then when we have it we want to destroy it by sacrificing somebody that has done exceptionally well in his first season at the club and does nothing but work his arse off.
To be fair, this depth thing is new to us. We don't know what to do with it

To be fair, this depth thing is new to us. We don't know what to do with it

Lol, know what you are saying. In the past we have always claimed to have depth but it's genuine this time I think. We have some great young talent knocking on the door.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jayden Laverde tackle count

Northern Blues; 0
North Ballarat; 1
Richmond; 2

1 tackle a game either shows he is not strong enough there or he is not fit enough to continually apply pressure on the ball carrier.

Hurley is in our top 3 players, arguably the best KPD in the league and lays just a tackle a game. Not saying tackling isn't important, but you need to look at it in combination with other pressure skills like body contact, blocks, spoils and corralling.

Northern Blues; 0
North Ballarat; 1
Richmond; 2

1 tackle a game either shows he is not strong enough there or he is not fit enough to continually apply pressure on the ball carrier.
Umm he had 5 against the Blues

Also I saw a lot of repeat chasing efforts especially in the last quarter so its not like he is just staying forward and waiting for the ball

Northern Blues; 0
North Ballarat; 1
Richmond; 2

I'll give Jayden a quick call and ask him if he can stop marking everything and slotting goals so he can tackle a bit more.

Hurley is in our top 3 players, arguably the best KPD in the league and lays just a tackle a game. Not saying tackling isn't important, but you need to look at it in combination with other pressure skills like body contact, blocks, spoils and corralling.

Totally different role. Hurleys job is to spoil / intercept / provide run out of the back half and not hold the ball in one area of the ground.
Most tall defenders make limited tackles.
Small / medium forwards , different story.

The only argument for Laverde not playing AFL is match fitness. That was his first game without managed minutes. It'll help him ease into our seniors without the added pressure to perform on him. Still has a few things to work on. If selections this year is anything to go by, he'd have to string a few consistent games before he'll be considered.

Going forward however, we'd be crazy not to play a medium/tall forward that's agile, can compete in the air, provide the pressure and be a part of our midfield rotation for basically a small stay at home forward that cannot compete in the air. Green has definitely been good for us no doubt. His impact is underrated on here.

With Laverde however, our forwardline would go up another level. Our best forward line is Daniher, Hooker, Stewart, Laverde, Walla and Fantasia. That's 3 mobile talls! Stewart and Laverde would actually complement each other IMO.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back