AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

He is clearly a bit inside his own head right now. He Has never been a great kick but could be relied on to halve a contest down back. His positioning was all out of whack and he looked a bit lost for whatever reason.

That's ok, he can go to his happy place and head shot a few sweats in fortnite, even if they are only 12

Every man and his dog has known this guy is not an AFL key defender for the best part of 3 years now.

Hayes may well get monstered next week but he genuinely couldn’t do any worse than this bloke.

I love how every time he gets out-marked by his opponent inside 50 he falls on top and tangles up with them as if he thinks he’s still able to lay a tackle. This classic Laverde ‘fake-tough’ move happens 5 times a week and brings me great joy each time.

From all reports he is a pretty sound and genuine guy so I do feel bad about the amount of stick he is copping atm, but he is clearly not up to the level anymore.

what frustrates me as a decidedly mediocre youth football defender is that he loses touch with his opponent so often, let’s then get goalside. everything that defenders shouldn’t be doing.

****ing consistently

VFL at best, the forgotten truth is our backline has simply been decimated and we have been forced to play this bloke when he doesn’t cut the mustard. Reid, Ridley, Baldwin we need you guys fit and firing net year or we are cooked.

I seriously can’t recall a more accident prone Essendon player, potentially AFL player. The amount of collisions he’s been involved in where he’s been hurt or cut or dazed or cannoned into someone else or in this case Cox must be ridiculously high. Bad luck? No peripheral vision? Cursed by St. Kilda trying to recruit him?

Admire him for constantly playing out of his weight division and putting his head where it doesn’t belong but also, pick another proper big defender and he wouldn’t have to.

Genuinely dumb footballer. That play last week where he turned his head the wrong way running back with the flight, and then tonight, not checking the run of the most athletic/dangerous bloke on the field in the final play of the game.

Just stupid. He's PEAK Essington, and peak Adrian Dodoro. The most baffling (or damning) part? We've gotten him to 129 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Reid or Baldwin would have been their preferred option I am guessing.
Surely Hayes is worth a crack on Amartey next week.

Still contracted for next year. I dont think its at the stage you need to delist him early (would be fine as VFL/depth next year) but the end has clearly come quickly for him. He's had his share of injury and concussion and it looks like its all caught up with him. Need to give Hayes an oppurtunity after 2 solid VFL years and maybe even Weideman gets to show his form as defender as well.

To be fair Reid or Baldwin would have been their preferred option I am guessing.
Surely Hayes is worth a crack on Amartey next week.
Well that is true. Laverde spent all of pre season playing in the B defensive set up.

The big guy really is in some form.

Mac Andrew - 4 goals
Jye Amiss - 4 goals
Anthony Caminiti - 3 goals
Take your pick on Thilthorpe, Fogarty or Keays - combined for 11 goals

the gift that keeps on giving. Perhaps its time the review is honest and feedback taken on board that it just isn't working.

Mac Andrew - 4 goals
Jye Amiss - 4 goals

the gift that keeps on giving. Perhaps its time the review is honest and feedback taken on board that it just isn't working.
Dodoro would've been chomping at the bit to give his vanity project as long a contract as possible. Wouldn't be surprised if there's another extension in the works.

Just adds to the list of guys who have been given one too many years for being great Essendon people.

Mac Andrew - 4 goals
Jye Amiss - 4 goals

All those players at least 3cms taller than Laverde. He shouldn’t be playing on them. But we have no one else currently. We need Reid back and club feels Hayes not quite ready.

All those players at least 3cms taller than Laverde. He shouldn’t be playing on them. But we have no one else currently. We need Reid back and club feels Hayes not quite ready.

Whilst this is true, we refuse to address it. It’s been the case for years, and will in all likelihood be the case again next year. We need to actually do something about it

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back