AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst this is true, we refuse to address it. It’s been the case for years, and will in all likelihood be the case again next year. We need to actually do something about it
Well we started the season with Lav in the reserves and Reid starting. Unfortunately Reid was gone by half time. Reid and Hayes will be the hope next season. Or if he puts on some weight ..Cox. This season they weren’t ready

Well we started the season with Lav in the reserves and Reid starting. Unfortunately Reid was gone by half time. Reid and Hayes will be the hope next season. Or if he puts on some weight ..Cox. This season they weren’t ready

What is there to say they’ll be ready next season though? We were saying the same thing this time last year. We need something/someone more certain.

The big guy really is in some form.

Mac Andrew - 4 goals
Jye Amiss - 4 goals
Anthony Caminiti - 3 goals
Take your pick on Thilthorpe, Fogarty or Keays - combined for 11 goals

the gift that keeps on giving. Perhaps its time the review is honest and feedback taken on board that it just isn't working.

I'm pretty sure Cox started on Andrew and got an absolute bath, then Laverde was swapped on to him.

The big guy really is in some form.

Mac Andrew - 4 goals
Jye Amiss - 4 goals
Anthony Caminiti - 3 goals
Take your pick on Thilthorpe, Fogarty or Keays - combined for 11 goals

the gift that keeps on giving. Perhaps it’s time the review is honest and feedback taken on board that it just isn't working.
Pretty sure Walter kicked his 2 on him as well

Ever been a worse footballer to play 100+ games?

Has made a career out of being a 'try-er'. That's the benchmark we have around here, just merely have to give it a go and there you go 100+ games to you.

Has made a career out of being a 'try-er'. That's the benchmark we have around here, just merely have to give it a go and there you go 100+ games to you.
It's not really his fault the club has failed to draft and develop an actual KPD, he hasn't been a star across his career but he's fronted up and taken on players he's really got no business trying to defend against

Disappointed we didn't get games into hayes and or more games into Cox as key position defender and laverde spend some more time in the ws.

Should be a great depth player but used as a automatic selection this year.

Gives good effort and hard at it bit a bit undersized and decision making and skill errors hurt.

I'm pretty sure Cox started on Andrew and got an absolute bath, then Laverde was swapped on to him.
shhhh . we do not need real facts thanks.

unfortunately Tom Cutler only played 96 games . he was going to be my candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to suggest Mark Baguley but i forgot he was a legit star.
You know what’s sad, when we are crying out for players like Angus Monfries, Mark Baguley, Ricky Dyson, Ben Howlett, Leroy Jetta (93 games), Dempsey, Henry ****ing Slattery played 96 AFL games.

Has lasted as long as he has because he is pretty elite athlete wise, not through elite football talent.

His form appears to largely be due to his physical gifts being diminished and he's getting caught out, he's hopefully carrying something and we haven't just cooked him playing him outsized every week for seasons on end.

It comes back to something I mentioned earlier in the year with Hep and Goldy, and has been mentioned on here by others on Langford.
If guys are carrying things and it's drastically impacting their form (and even if it's not for some) make a change and either give them a rest or book a surgery.
In hep's case he was going along fine, until he wasn't. If you manage him better maybe he doesn't drop off so badly, you had Archie there to play. Do the fans hate on him so much if he's in decent form?

For laverde, what's wrong with playing Hayes for a week or two to give him a freshen up?

If Langford has a hip, book him in for surgery, play stringer deeper and put Perkins in the stringer role.

I don't get the fascination with playing guys until they are cooked and then standing there with a straight face and saying "well it's a long season".
It doesn't have to be, use your list.

Geez, the pile on to an undersized KPD, who gives his all, albeit with limited skills, is pretty sad.

There’s shit load more reasons for the loss than Mac Andrew’s last goal. The game should’ve been iced well before that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has lasted as long as he has because he is pretty elite athlete wise, not through elite football talent.

His form appears to largely be due to his physical gifts being diminished and he's getting caught out, he's hopefully carrying something and we haven't just cooked him playing him outsized every week for seasons on end.

It comes back to something I mentioned earlier in the year with Hep and Goldy, and has been mentioned on here by others on Langford.
If guys are carrying things and it's drastically impacting their form (and even if it's not for some) make a change and either give them a rest or book a surgery.
In hep's case he was going along fine, until he wasn't. If you manage him better maybe he doesn't drop off so badly, you had Archie there to play. Do the fans hate on him so much if he's in decent form?

For laverde, what's wrong with playing Hayes for a week or two to give him a freshen up?

If Langford has a hip, book him in for surgery, play stringer deeper and put Perkins in the stringer role.

I don't get the fascination with playing guys until they are cooked and then standing there with a straight face and saying "well it's a long season".
It doesn't have to be, use your list.

He'd be pretty beat up, repeated injury issues in the early stage of his career with us, now spent a few years playing as an undersized KPD getting bashed from pillar to post each week.

Gives his all every game, looks like maybe (similar to Jake Kelly really) he's lost a step and finding it harder and harder to do what he usually does. Doesn't deserve the shit supporters throw at him. Reid was clearly the preferred option to start the season, and Ridley has been out, then in, then back out.

Hayes probably could / should have played, but I think he's still a ways off AFL KPD weight and strength so not sure it would be any different outcome-wise to letting Laverde get bashed around and have Hayes getting continuity and work on his positioning and technique at a level where he's not being outmuscled.

Last edited:
It's not really his fault the club has failed to draft and develop an actual KPD, he hasn't been a star across his career but he's fronted up and taken on players he's really got no business trying to defend against
The issue is how does he go against players he really does have business playing against? Someone like Darcy Fogarty should be his bread and butter. Strong, medium-sized fwd. If he can't defend a player of basically his equivalent size, or players taller than him, or smalls, then essentially he has no match-up that he's suited to.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back